Author Topic: Help and advice please  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
Re: Help and advice please
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »
Hope everything went okay at the vets.  Let us know how Casper got on and how he's doing now.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »
good luck, do let us know how you get on  :hug:

Offline sarannie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: casper
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 10:42:41 AM »
Thank you all so much for your kind and supportive responses. Ive got him booked in for later today. He hasn't been sick today yet but has drunk a lot of water.
Thank you all so much.

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:30:14 AM »
I'm sure £500 will be more than enough to get him checked out and any tests done.  My vet is very cheap but it's around £150 for an xray and urine sample together, and £50 for bloods.  You may not need all these things done in any event.   Just point out to the vet that's £500 is your limit though.  After you have test results, you can take it from there but you do need to get him checked ASAP.  The sooner he is treated, the easier it will be to help him.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 14:57:37 PM »
Hello Sara and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Sorry to hear that Casper is unwell it sounds like a bit more than just a furball
Hope he is soon better; the Vet fees may actually be a lot less than you anticipate

Good luck and keep us posted     :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 14:10:34 PM »
You need to get him to a vet asap and Blue Cross sorry meant PDSA may help you but they do things by using cheepest option and if you have £500 pounds of cover I would see a regular vet but ask him for an estimate first.

Probaly will do some tests and then if kidney probs prescribe meds and special food...........the food you can possibly buy cheaper elseware and sometimes cats wont eat it anyway.

E&L are not known as a very good company so maybe a good idea to ring them and makes sure what your cover is, get a claim form and ask them how long it takes for them to pay out and will they pay the vet direct.

Good luck and loads of peeps her can advise about food and cheapest options for meds and food for cats with kidney problems  :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 17:19:23 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 14:09:05 PM »
have you tried the pdsa, they will help people in receipt of benefits

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pdsa-vet-care/eligibility

the link above will help you to find out if they can help and where the nearest vet in the scheme is - good luck

Offline sarannie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: casper
Help and advice please
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 13:57:08 PM »
hello, our beloved cat Casper is ill and I think it might be kidney trouble. He's never been ill but is throwing up his food (with traces of yellow froth) and is drinking from the taps at every opportunity. He's a rescue cat and we've had him for approx 4 years so don't really know how old he is.
He is insured although I'm very confused about the insurance small print - low cost E&L policy. I'm terrified of what the vets fees might be and wondered if anyone knows of anywhere I could take him where there is lower cost help for people on Income Support? Since we've had him my husband has been ill and is now disabled, I am his sole carer and we have 3 children so huge vets bills would be catastrophic - esp at this time of year.
The vet nearest to me charges £21.99 for an initial consultation and then who knows? The excess on my policy is £69 and I'm covered (I think) for £500 of vets fees per condition.
We are in Welwyn garden City, Hertfordshire.
Any ideas?
Thank you for reading.

Link to CatChat