Author Topic: What is the usual procedure for an operation?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: What is the usual procedure for an operation?
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 10:47:03 AM »
Thanks.  :hug: She's actually been for her op ten days ago and had her follow up check today.....the operation was to remove quite a lot of ear polyps and the vet said she's healing well. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 01:36:31 AM »
Not sure what operation your kitty is going for but im sure they will be fine. Also not sure of sex of cat so we will call it a he for now!

He will be taken in and weighed so that the meds can be calculated. Then checked over for any obvious signs that the op cant go ahead. Depending on the list of ops to do that day he may be given pre op meds right away then put in his kennel so they can start working. He will have a cosy vet bed to sleep and on and cats are usually kept away from other animals so they are not worried.

Once the pre med has had time to take effect the vet nurse will fetch him and bring him back to the vet who will give them the once over again. Next it depends on what the op is. Routine neutering doesnt require the cat to be under gas anaesthetic. They will be sedated and given pain relief but wont have to be tubed. The op is very quick. However other ops that take longer will need the cat to be tubed so their breathing can be monitored.

So once he is totally knocked out by the injection he will have his throat sprayed to protect his vocal chords against the tube, then the tube will be placed down the throat to be hooked up to the gas machine, a mix of gases and tied into place. These are constantly checked. The vet then starts the op and the VN will be there. Pulse is checked every few mins and reactions such as pupils and blood flow in the gums. If anything looks at all odd then the vet is notified.

They dont tend to use a heat mat unless the op is a very long one and with cats they dont tend to be. Once the op is over the anaesthetic is switched off and they just breath normal gas. At signs of coming awake (not totally of course) the gas is switched off and the cat is taken back to the prep room where after a bit (with dogs its when they cough) the tube is taken out. They are then watched until awake.

Im sure the op will be fine!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 09:38:29 AM »
They've agreed to let me stay at surgery - the receptionist said it "wasn't normal" whereupon I responded that I wasn't either..... :rofl:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 08:08:41 AM »
My vets wouldnt let me do that with Molly, so I ended up sitting in the car instead. One thing they have let me do more than once is take them a bit later in the day so they have a couple of hours less sitting in a cage.
Please spay your cat

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 19:54:06 PM »
 ;D Sounds like a plan! If you had a mobile phone with internet connection you could receive calming messages from Purrs curse under your breath at the size of screen, speed of connection ....  ;)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 19:24:41 PM »
I'm calling tomorrow. My partner suggested asking if I could sit in the surgery and wait there. (Can you tell he's used to me? ;)) So I think I will; saves me sitting worrying at home. I'll take a book and keep quiet. ;)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 14:25:17 PM »
Agree with Desley, ask your own vet: they will be accustomed to worried slaves and should want to put you at ease for the sake of your furballs if nothing else. There may well be one of the vet nurses free who would speak with you on the telephone or in person. There will have to be some variation from practice to practice due to the layout of the building, equipment and personnel available, layout and facilities of the operating room, personal preference of the vet themselves.

I would add a hug smilie but all my smilies have vanished ....
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 11:42:30 AM »
You would be best asking the vets, as each will do it slightly differently - Molly had a heat pad, and she was only having a sedation for an ultrasound. I only remember seeing vet bed in the emergency vet, but Pebbles was there more for monitoring, although she did also have a sedation.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 11:11:07 AM »
I'm freaking out more than a little, and trying VERY hard not to be obvious so as not to worry the cats. :shy:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 08:47:31 AM »
JS I've been thinking about this and actually had forgotten that there were two nurses one timing temps and writing them down every two mins I think - don't worry hun, although I know you can't help it :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 23:09:13 PM »
The vet said six, so I'm going with that. I figure I ought to listen..... I'll make sure there's a cooked white fish for after the op, though.

I will, thanks Gill. :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 22:24:25 PM »
It doesnt have to be after 6 JS, with my London vet it was after 8 except for Kocka who was allowed to eat up until about 10 at night.............it really depends when the op is.

I would ask your vet the question about anesthetic, cos they are only one who can answer.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 21:18:53 PM »
I know that there's no food after six the night before, Gill. ;) I know what I have to do to prepare but am not sure how the animal is cared for while under anaesthetic. (I'm really nervous of anaesthetic; for myself as well as my furbabes.)

Thanks for the answers, Dawn and Gill. :hug:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 21:19:20 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 19:05:20 PM »
Every vet will have its own procedure but I have always found the areas where cats are cared for, very warm indeed............and i feel the cold!

I would not imagine and have not seen heat pads or the such, usually stainless steel cages, with a litter tray and food, if allowed to eat, blanket.

Everything should be very clean and every animal has its own notes and some will be waiting for ops, some will be post ops, some nearly ready to go home.

If its a big vets then cats and dogs maybe in different areas.

Pre op no eating for the patient for a number of hours, depending on age put on IV fluids.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 19:00:14 PM »
when I spent a day at the vets I observed one op (dog having an eye removed) they did use heat pads, a nurse was checking temp constantly and when it dropped a bit more heat was added, the op was very long and the dog did get very cold even I was called on to full hot water bottles - the little dog did recover

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
What is the usual procedure for an operation?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 18:56:30 PM »
Can people tell me what sort of safeguards are put in place for ops as the norm at a vets? Heat pads to maintain body heat etc? I'd much appreciate it, thanks. :)

Link to CatChat