Author Topic: 14 Month old Fat Cats  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: 14 Month old Fat Cats
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2010, 00:12:11 AM »
a good game to get cats running around is to tie a pice of meat (cooked or raw) to the end of a piece of string or a fishing rod style cat toy (I have an old one that has clip on attachments so I just use it without any attachments and tie the meat to the end of the string).  Certainly gets Jaffa running up and down the room!  Then he gets to eat his "prey" after he's done enough running.

I think my little piglet would love that even more than he does Da Bird with sparkler attachment! Or he might just mew pitifully until I cave in and give him the meat. :rofl:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 13:33:35 PM »
Susanne, our Sadie isn't too active due to being an indoor cat and a little too nervous to run after things when we try to play with her, would you recommend ditching the biscuits and just giving her a couple of pouches of wet food instead? We are out between 9am and 7pm so her feeding schedule consists of half a pouch in the morning followed by 15g of biscuits as we leave then the second half when we get in and the same number of biscuits before bed. Would like to keep a few biscuits to help her teeth but that's it. I'm not concerned over her weight right now as she's tiny but not skinny however i want to make sure she has no trouble battling the bulge even if she wants to be lazy!!

p.s sorry for hijacking this thread!

Personally, I would add another pouch of wet food and reduce the biscuits.  How about feeding a bit more than half a pouch in the morning, then leaving the biscuits down when you leave as you are doing now, then a bit more wet food than you're currently feeding when you get in, and ditch the bedtime biscuits?  You could either feed the second wet meal a bit later or add a further snack of wet food before bedtime if you are worried about it being a long time between last meal and breakfast.  Just a suggestion.  Have you tried cat toys (like da bird) that have a long handle and string bit?  I have one but I can't remember what it's called.  The wand bit is about 3 feet long and the string bit is about the same so that you can wave something around and she wouldn't have to get very close to you to chase it?

a good game to get cats running around is to tie a pice of meat (cooked or raw) to the end of a piece of string or a fishing rod style cat toy (I have an old one that has clip on attachments so I just use it without any attachments and tie the meat to the end of the string).  Certainly gets Jaffa running up and down the room!  Then he gets to eat his "prey" after he's done enough running.

I agree with firefox re the dental biccies - no evidence that dental biccies reduce dental problems and a lot of cats swallow them whole anyway.  I tried Jaffa with Hills dental biccies once and he just sucked them a little and then swallowed whole.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 19:21:32 PM »
Alex S: To the best of my knowledge there is no scientific evidence that kibble improves dental health, but there is research showing carbohydrates - starches as well as sugars - feed plaque bacteria. Many vets now recommend raw bone in meat for cleaning teeth, I find it is also beneficial for allowing my indoor boy to express natural behaviour and keeping him occupied!  ;D Noah now tackles a halved chicken drumstick or thigh, but started with a quartered chicken wing and has had meaty carcasses (removed the legs and some breast meat for human consumption).

IMO a brilliant toy for solo play is the Bergan Turbo Track which is sold in the Purrs shop, this is the video that convinced me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgdVucDeVU

Emma2Cats: just found this on the Nutracare website and it seems to contradict what your vet said.  :-:
"Additional information:
• Clinically proven to reduce gingivitis and the build-up of tartar, plaque and stain.
• [Hills] Feline t/d is most effective when
– used on clean teeth (following an initial professional cleaning)
– fed as the sole maintenance food
– fed dry (adding water prevents effective cleaning)."

Furthermore TD is protein-controlled: that screams reduced meat/ higher grain content which dovetails with the use of maize gluten (cheap plant protein). Interesting they include rice AND maize, easy way to stop cereals being the first ingredient.  :sneaky: Surprised not to see cranberry extract in the list of ingredients - this has been proven to impact upon plaque bacteria and is safe for felines. Perhaps it is more expensive than the 'secret weapon' cellulose (cheap plant fibre)? Oh so cynical today!  :rofl:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Emma2Cats

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 16:51:48 PM »
sorry everyone I meant for her to lose half a kg so she weights 4kg in total!!

I can feel her ribs only slightly, not that well - she is definitly overweight although I dont think Tansy is.

Ive started feeding them all seperatly now in different rooms as there may have been the chance that Mitzi was getting to some of Tansys food...

they have about 10 biscuits each I think at morning and night.

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 13:57:21 PM »
Susanne, our Sadie isn't too active due to being an indoor cat and a little too nervous to run after things when we try to play with her, would you recommend ditching the biscuits and just giving her a couple of pouches of wet food instead? We are out between 9am and 7pm so her feeding schedule consists of half a pouch in the morning followed by 15g of biscuits as we leave then the second half when we get in and the same number of biscuits before bed. Would like to keep a few biscuits to help her teeth but that's it. I'm not concerned over her weight right now as she's tiny but not skinny however i want to make sure she has no trouble battling the bulge even if she wants to be lazy!!

p.s sorry for hijacking this thread!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 12:26:50 PM »
The best way to tell if a cat is overweight is to feel around the tummy area.  You should be able to feel the ribs but not see them.  If they have more than a very thin layer of fat over the rubs and hanging down, then they are a bit overweight.  So hard to tell by weight as it varies so much depending on the cat.  Foodwise, Jaffa has 300g wet food per day plus about 8 dreamies per day.  That maintains his weight of about 4.8kg.  He's a tall, long cat aged 13 and an indoor cat.   Mosi has 150g wet food per day plus approx 20g biscuits plus the same treats as Jaffa.  I'm not sure of Mosi's weight as it's ages since he's been weighed and he wasn't fully grown then, but I think he weighs a little less than Jaffa.  His weight is pretty constant but I do notice that if I get a bit heavy handed with the biscuits, he can put on a little weight (I regularly "feel them up" to check their "weight"!).  Whereas Jaffa never seems to lose or gain, Mosi can gain a little weight from time to time and I know it's the biscuits so I am feeding him more all wet food meals now.  I seen to recall that 20-30g dry food is approx equal to about 100g wet food and I think most cats maintain their weight on approx 300 - 400g wet food or equivilent per day although obviously that will vary depending on how active they are, size and build, age etc.  It will also depend on what they eat.  Cats, like humans, can only gain weight through fat storage if they eat carbs and so stimulate insulin production.  In short, no carbs = no insulin = no fat storage.  It's the cereal and grains in cat food that cause weight gain and just like in humans, you have to reduce the calories quite dramatically to get any weight loss.  Much better to ditch the carbs and give them meat.  Crazy that vets prescribe carby weight loss foods for overwweight cats.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2010, 11:14:34 AM »
that's good to know - Tiffany will probably live for ever :rofl:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2010, 09:25:35 AM »
Not relevant to these 2 babies I know but thought I'd mention previous vet told me that surplus fat has it's uses when elderly cats are unwell and get fussy over food. 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 09:22:18 AM »
What is your idea of "some" coz that may be what you need to keep a closer eye on and as FF said carbs ain't the best?  As I mentioned earlier, you may want to consider getting something to put the dry food inside that they can exert some energy obtaining it.  Oh FF said that too.

How much did vet say Mitzi had to lose as obviously not 4kg  :)

Most important thing now is to ensure she doesn't gain any more.  She still has some growing to do so hopefully she will grow into her weight.  It is so very difficult to get an indoor cat to lose weight and will take a year and more to do safely.

Are you sure Mitzi doesn't steal any of Tansy's food?  Feeding separately might be an idea?

Occasional raw chicken wings would be better to lower plaque build up basically I'd refer you back to post by Fire Fox earlier  :evillaugh:

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
it seems really difficult to determine what constitutes a "fat" cat! since we got Sadie i've been very conscious about her putting on a bit of padding given she was homed to us as an indoor cat. We've gone by the instructions on the box of wet food and give her one pouch and 30g of biscuits a day and a few salmon sticks a week too, thankfully we seem to have gotten this spot on as she doesn't beg for food and only becomes vocal about it when she knows it's feeding time or it's her first meal of the day and she's stood in the bedroom trying to get us up! It's also made far, far more difficult by the fact she is still a little too timid to chase around any wand toys infront of us and prefers to go solo playing with her stuffed mice. juts gotta keep an eye on madam's little "spay sway" to make sure it doesn't turn into anything more than that haha!!

do you have a pic of mitz and this belly you speak of?! :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 21:25:59 PM »
Whats a waist  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 20:50:20 PM »
they don't sound heavy to me one of mine is 7kg!  my smallest is 3.5kg my bengal is 5.5kg and looks skinny but is all muscle as long as they look like they have a waist from above I wouldn't panic

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 17:45:56 PM »
HI Everyone,
Well they both went to the vets for their annual check ups and they said Tansy is not overweight at 3.5kg - she does have a very small hangy bit but is quite lean also.
However they said Mitzi at 4.5 is too heavy and she is carrying alot of fat hanging down around her stomach - they said if she could lose about 4kg then she soul be much better.

Also their teeth have some plaque and so the vet advised mixing their bozita with some Hills TD biscuits as well -
The bozita site said cats at her weight should be eating 400-500g each day!!!!!!:scared:
Shes only having 200g plus some biccys and she has one dental treat per day.

These petfood manufatuers always over estimate - of course, they would wouldnt they? the want us to buy more food  ;) . 200g plus biscuits sounds more than enough to me, in fact 200g of just the bozita would be plenty, its the biscuits that add the carbs which as others has pointed out, cats just don't need.  :) Presume that was a typo? - that she needs to lose 4 kg?!!!!

Does it say on the can of Bozita what the fat content is? I've only used the Bozita tetrapaks before so don't know about fat content in the cans.

Offline Emma2Cats

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 16:44:19 PM »
HI Everyone,
Well they both went to the vets for their annual check ups and they said Tansy is not overweight at 3.5kg - she does have a very small hangy bit but is quite lean also.
However they said Mitzi at 4.5 is too heavy and she is carrying alot of fat hanging down around her stomach - they said if she could lose about 4kg then she soul be much better.

Also their teeth have some plaque and so the vet advised mixing their bozita with some Hills TD biscuits as well -
They currently have 100g of bozita wet twice a day each mixed with about 10 biscuits.

The bozita site said cats at her weight should be eating 400-500g each day!!!!!!:scared:
Shes only having 200g plus some biccys and she has one dental treat per day.

She has numerous cat trees, and we play with her and she not losing her weight - any ideas / advice?

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 03:32:45 AM »
As Mark says, as obligate carnivores cats are geared up to get energy and nutrients from protein (meat) and saturated (animal) fat, they have no nutritional requirement for carbohydrates. This is different to omnivorous humans who need carbs for energy and only a very small amount of saturated fat. Bozita is a decent food and is relatively low in fat already but the feeding rates are lower than for many foods as it contains far more meat and far less jelly so it's worth checking the can.

Bear in mind that the feed rates may be for outdoor cats - when I give human nutritional consults we double the basic calorie intake for an individual with a very active lifestyle, even more for an athlete.  :Crazy: Speaking for my indoor boy it can be difficult to distinguish between hunger and greed - he LOVES his grub but perhaps eating is more of a highlight for cats that are not stimulated by the different sounds, sights and smells of an outdoor life?

I find Noah is fairly satisfied on Bozita pate; I feed two meals per day of a third of a tetrapack each time but he has a large build (6kg+) so what you are feeding your girls now is in line with that. He seems least greedy on raw days, and also really enjoys the process of demolishing a chicken drumstick or wing. :Luv2: If you want to keep some kibble in your girls diet you might use a feeding ball such as the SlimCat so they eat slowly. Light biscuits tend to be lower in fat but higher in carbohydrates, arguably the opposite of what a feline needs but is cheap for the manufacturers.  :innocent:

Lulu's Catbook

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 23:35:53 PM »
They don't sound overweight - my boy cat is 5.2kg and looks skinny (he is outdoorsy though so gets a lot of exercise). My girl is 6.22kg and *is* overweight - her ideal weight would be about 5kg.  All my cats have had the floppy belly and only my girl has ever been overweight (ironically, she doesn't have it the same!).  Having a quick google on floppy belly in cats and it does seem to be a common occurence. 

However if your cats are happy on less food - feed them less. Indoor cats will be more prone to weight gain.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 22:34:09 PM »
I also dont know how much in a tin of Bozita and I dont think they are fat.

But 3 or 4 100gram pouches would be pretty normal each per day without biscuits.

As Rosella says some cats are just built that way  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 22:01:28 PM »
Our Ruby (aged 2) has hanging skin under her tummy.  She isn't fat though.  Her twin sister Millie doesn't and she weighs more than Ruby (almost 5kg).  There is no way either are overweight although I'm sure they would be if we allowed them to eat as much as they want.  They are like hoovers but no one is allowed to graze here as too many cats with differing needs food wise. 

Not sure of content of Bozita cans but, if same as normal tins i.e. 450g, sharing a can a day with a few light biscuits doesn't seem a lot.

Much depends on their height and length I would say.  Ruby and Millie are pretty tall and long so weighing between 4 and 5 kg seems OK.  I think vets generally like to feel ribs when applying a little pressure.   

We also have HRH of course who is smaller and shorter and almost 5kg but that is a different story.  I'm not at all sure she has any ribs  :-[ :evillaugh:

I think feeding as much as they want is OK up to 12 months but generally need to get a grip then unless we are talking big puds like Maine Coons or NFCs which take much longer to mature.  Your sister is probably, quite rightly, trying to ensure you keep an eye on feeding from now on coz it can so easily slip into treats here and there and before you know it you have a weight problem to contend with.  Peeps with indoor kitties often mention hiding treats so pud has to expend energy tracking them down.

Offline Emma2Cats

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 21:32:56 PM »
Hi Guys
thanks for your replies.

Well the thing is.... Mitzi has hanging skin under her belly and she looks like shes carrying some belly weight when she lies on her side so I can see what my sisters saying.
I just thought it was normal >!

They are moggies yes.
They are fed bozita canned food - they were having as much as they wanted pretty much before my sister said anthing.

But we reduced their food slowly over 3 weeks and now they have 1 can between them a day plus ocassionally some adult light biscuits in between of they really seem hungry - which isnt often.

Ill try and get some pics - what do you think of the food etc?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 21:07:28 PM »
If they are moggies I think........note the think please...............they will be close or full grown now so their weight does not sound to much.

Mark is right about the dry food but what ever you do do not reduce the food other than very slowly.

We have found that vets often dont know much about cat nutrition or even their weight cos often just refer to a standard chart, so beware LOL..........no offence to your sister.

Some pics would be lovely and their names  :innocent:

How much to feed them each day right now and are they moggies?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 21:02:52 PM »
Which food do you feed at the moment. With cats, low carb is more important than low fat, as they are designed to burn fat - not carbs.

Dry food can be really fattening, although most brands like Hills, Royal Canin etc sell light versions.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Emma2Cats

• Adult Cat
14 Month old Fat Cats
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 20:57:47 PM »
Hi Guys,
Im after some advice please!
I have 2 girlies - who are 14 months old and much to my dismay my sister who is training to be a vet at the moment told me my girlies are carrying some weight
Mitzi is 4.4kg and Tansy is 3.4kg - Tansy is naturally much smaller than Mitz but you can see she is carrying more fat under her belly.

We have already cut their food quite considerably and they lost .1 kg but not much else.

They are kept indoors so im quite aware they could get fat and wondered any tips??

We play with them and they have numerous cat trees - they are fed bozita wet food - half a can between them in the morning and half in the evening.

Is there any other foods you can recommend which are maybe low fat?

They have their injections in the next few week s so im going to see if the vet has any ideas aswell.

Thanks

Link to CatChat