Author Topic: Question regarding prescriptions...  (Read 5442 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Question regarding prescriptions...
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »
Thanks Desley. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 10:17:08 AM »
i got a prescription for Vidalta for Sam, the vet writes on how many repeats you are allowed, mine did 3 for me, as he would then need to be retested to check he was still on the right dose. I think it was about £5, and then VEtUK wrote a reminder asking if I needed anymore (sadly he had been pts by then). A months worth of the 10mg Vidalta was about £12ish, i was paying £22 at the vets, so I did save - if your friends vet did a 3 month for £15, it is only £5 a month, and if she is saving £10 on the meds, it is worth it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »

whoops I'm abit behind ! (shut it Mark)

:evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »
2008, Michelle.

http://www.pet-insurance-discount.co.uk/vets-to-charge-fees-on-formerly-free-written-prescription.html

How much do people pay on average for Vidalta? I've been asked to see.  :)

Really  :rofl:
whoops I'm abit behind ! (shut it Mark)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:28:25 AM »
Think your friend needs to see how long the £15 prescription would be for and then can work out whether there will be any savings by going on-line.

I agree. I read somewhere that a prescription has to be for the length of time for treatment of a condition. For something ongoing, I think it would be unfair to give a prescription for less than 6 months. It's a shame there aren't cut & dried rules.

From VetUK site "My animal takes long-term medication, do I need to get a new prescription every time?
No, ask your vet to write you a repeat prescription which should cover you normal check up period. You can then buy from this prescription up to the quantity specified or until it expires. You will then require a new prescription."
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/prescription-faq-s-page-10/chapter/0

To me, that would mean 6 months - note the bit about asking the vet to allow repeats. That way, the online seller can keep the prescription on file for reorders.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 11:11:18 AM »
Hi JS

I know a few people who get prescriptions from their vets and buy meds on-line. I think it may vary from vet to vet and also depending upon the medical condition. Based on the condition, some vets have issued 3 month prescriptions and some 6 months. Most of the usual on-line sites have a section on lodging prescriptions as Mark says.

However what the vet charges for the prescription can vary widely. Think your friend needs to see how long the £15 prescription would be for and then can work out whether there will be any savings by going on-line.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:12:17 AM by Edd »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:09:38 AM »
2008, Michelle.

http://www.pet-insurance-discount.co.uk/vets-to-charge-fees-on-formerly-free-written-prescription.html

How much do people pay on average for Vidalta? I've been asked to see.  :)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:10:07 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 11:08:05 AM »
When did it change ?
I thought vets weren't allowed to charge for a script ?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 10:55:17 AM »
So one prescription would last six months with an online supplier? OK, that would help considerable amounts I'd think. :)

Definitely worth asking if they'd match an online price but I doubt it unfortunately.

Thanks Mark. :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 10:37:14 AM »
The prescription usually covers a certain time period - not sure but it could be 6 months. I'm sure vetuk, petmeds etc have info on their site about regs - otherwise worth a call.
(there is mention here of 3 months but not sure if that is a rule http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1311341)

Sharon was telling me the other day about heart meds for her Bella. The vet was going to charge £56 for 8 tablets (1/4 a day) She got a prescription for £5 (some vets charge more but there is a max amount they can charge) as they are human meds, she got them from a chemist for £15 - I think she also got a lot more than 8 pills. I think it was 3 months worth.

Another idea is when I changed to my new (not new any more  :evillaugh: ) vet, I told them that Clapton was on long-term meds. I was happy to pay for any one-off meds any of the cats needed but asked if they could they do something about ongoing ones. The vet agreed to match online prices, so I ended up paying £25 for 28 Fortekor (my previous vet charged me £44 + a £4 fee each time I had a repeat)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:44:37 AM by Mark »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Question regarding prescriptions...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »
Have just had a call from a friend and they've been talking to a work colleague who has a cat with hyper-t. Her cat needs monthly medication (obviously) and it's massively expensive from her vets so she was considering getting the meds online. The problem is, her vets have told her they'll charge her 15 pounds a prescription. Any ideas on how to cut down the costs for this lady?

Clearly, she's not trying to get things for free - just reduce her outgoings on the meds a little.

Link to CatChat