Author Topic: Is this diet okay? ill cat with Suspected FIP  (Read 1506 times)

Offline jeremys_mummy

• Adult Cat
  • Our beautiful Rolo
Re: Is this diet okay? ill cat with Suspected FIP
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 13:35:00 PM »
Thanks Gillian will start to change the balence and see how it goes  :shy:
My Babies
Rolo Ragdoll 27/01/2009
Jeremy Ginger Tabby 5/9/2008

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 13:15:05 PM »
Thanks for your opinions I had always seen RC dry as a very good food I will start to introduce more wet foods but my kittys do drink an awfull lot of water. Should I Cut out dry fullstop? or change to a high meat content?

Mine eat whiskers/felix jelly

X

If they like whiskas and felix then I'd continue to give them that, but there's no reason why shouldnt you introduce a high meat content as well if you wanted, variety's always good I think  :) If they eat majority dry then they will drink a lot of water, its hard for cats to keep themselves hydrated if they eat all/mostly dry as they don't have a strong thirst drive, but if they also like the dry, then maybe just change the balance of wet and dry, maybe try more wet to dry?

Offline jeremys_mummy

• Adult Cat
  • Our beautiful Rolo
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 12:47:01 PM »
Thanks for your opinions I had always seen RC dry as a very good food I will start to introduce more wet foods but my kittys do drink an awfull lot of water. Should I Cut out dry fullstop? or change to a high meat content?

Mine eat whiskers/felix jelly

X
My Babies
Rolo Ragdoll 27/01/2009

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
When our darling Gem was waiting for diagnosis we fed her on kitten foos - wet it has more calories she ate any variety to but we had RC, Hills, HiLife, Whiskas and Felix and she ate the lot, sadly she lost her battle but it did help keep her weight stable :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 08:57:35 AM »
Regular wet foods also contain cereals & vegetable protein to bulk them out, so I think it is a case of swings & roundabouts. I like mine to have some good quality dry food in their diet as they usually contain trace minerals etc, not usually found in wet food. Whiskas supermeat & Classic cat food don't have cereals in but whiskas/felix in jelly or gravy do - AFAIK, the gravy versions usually contain the most. I have recently switched Alice to a wheat-free diet, so bought Bozita wet food from Zooplus (93% meat) to go with her dry. I have been trying totally grain-free food but she isn't impressed with it. I have compromised by giving her Purina one sensitive which doesn't contain wheat, but does have corn in. Her poos have firmed up and there is no blood, but still smelly (waiting for results of tests)

There are some very high meat content dry foods around - ie Orijen and Applaws (also sold as Encore in Sainsbury's)

ETA - Trigger sent Alice some "taste of the wild" grain-free food and she was happily eating it this morning  :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 10:20:45 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 01:09:44 AM »
Cats are obligate carnivores so they must eat meat. Most dry foods contain a high percentage of grains/ cereals, something that felines have no nutritional requirement for but that is a very cheap bulking agent for the manufacturers.  >:( If I had to choose between RC dry and Whiskas wet I'd plump for the Whiskas as it's closer to the natural diet of a cat. I find carb-laden foods mean poop-laden litter trays: for an underweight cat this equates to wasted nutrition.

:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 23:44:36 PM »
I think you will find in most peoples opinions on Purrs, its not considered the best diet.

Reasons as said below...........puts on weight and will be the first thing to cut out if they get too heavy, need more water to keep kidneys good and cats dont tend to drink much water so this can be a problem. I wet food there is a lot of water.

I would certainly feed them at least half and half, wet and dry.

My cats eat wet and also have biscuits and my moggies who are giants like biscuits but also eat wet................very worried that my semi feral tortie is eating too many biscuits......sigh

Offline jeremys_mummy

• Adult Cat
  • Our beautiful Rolo
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 23:34:31 PM »
Yes fed on a mainly dry food diet just occasional wet food. is that a bad thing?

My Babies
Rolo Ragdoll 27/01/2009

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 23:22:55 PM »
First whiskers is not a junk food, its a perfectly normal food for cats to eat.

I dont know what the foods you mention are, except purina one, are they all dry foods?

If they are I would be tempted to very gradually change them onto mainly wet food with a few biscuitts.

I am not going to say what wet food cos there are so many and also there the raw food option too.

Biscuits make the cats put on weight often and they need to drink more cos they are not getting any liquid which they would normally get from wet food.

If what you are giving them is wet food and they are healthy and doing well I would continue with what you are doing.

Offline jeremys_mummy

• Adult Cat
  • Our beautiful Rolo
Is this diet okay? ill cat with Suspected FIP
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 23:15:26 PM »
Hi members of Purrs,

A little advice for my Kitty's please, I have two young cats around two years old both male neutered mainly indoor with access to the garden under supervision,

Rolo is currently underweight due to illness and Jeremy is a perfect weight and very healthy I am feeding Rolo on Royal canin Kitten 36 mixed with Fit 32 and Jeremy fit 32 I also feed them Purina One on occasion if I cant get to the pet shop. They do have some wet stuff whiskers admittedly but no more than one pouch or two a week and tuna every so often

Is this a good diet?? is there anything I could be doing better? should i cut out whiskers all together being junk food? any advice on diets would be good i want the best for them!

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice

:innocent:
My Babies
Rolo Ragdoll 27/01/2009

Link to CatChat