Author Topic: help moving a litter tray  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Sadie
Re: help moving a litter tray
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 22:30:23 PM »
small update - she's been a very good girl, last two times she's needed to go in the last few hours she's done her thing in the hallway tray, completely bypassed the one in the livingroom on the way. they're now about 12ft apart but still in different rooms. should be next to each other by tues, then i'll put the flap on the door of one to encourage her to solely use the other.

Is there a reason you wouldn't allow her to have the recommended two litter trays? I have found it invaluable for Noah - he will not wee in a tray that has poop in, nor that vaguely smells (hoods hold the stink in :sick: ), nor when I have noisy visitors (tipsy people or tradesmen). Your hall might be a low traffic area on an ordinary day but it won't be when you have house guests.

I suspect your reasoning is down to having a flat, which I completely understand.  I didn't fancy a second tray in my bedroom but I REALLY didn't want Noah to be holding his business or stressed enough to 'go' in a corner. If you are concerned about smells consider a raw diet or a high meat/ cereal free product. There are a number of Purrs regulars who will vouch for the overnight change in output and odour!  :wow:

thanks for the advice! she seems to be ignoring the living room tray now anyway, hasn't been in the last couple of days. it is down to us having a flat unfortunately that we'd prefer one tray out of the living room. we will definitely be keeping the second one so if we have more than a couple of visitors she can have her own room for a couple of hours with a litter tray there. She also really doesn't mind doing both in one tray, she did this in the rescue and continued straight away in our place and i don't ever even notice a smell, even when she's done a fresh one while we're eating dinner haha!

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 19:27:04 PM »
small update - she's been a very good girl, last two times she's needed to go in the last few hours she's done her thing in the hallway tray, completely bypassed the one in the livingroom on the way. they're now about 12ft apart but still in different rooms. should be next to each other by tues, then i'll put the flap on the door of one to encourage her to solely use the other.

Is there a reason you wouldn't allow her to have the recommended two litter trays? I have found it invaluable for Noah - he will not wee in a tray that has poop in, nor that vaguely smells (hoods hold the stink in :sick: ), nor when I have noisy visitors (tipsy people or tradesmen). Your hall might be a low traffic area on an ordinary day but it won't be when you have house guests.

I suspect your reasoning is down to having a flat, which I completely understand.  I didn't fancy a second tray in my bedroom but I REALLY didn't want Noah to be holding his business or stressed enough to 'go' in a corner. If you are concerned about smells consider a raw diet or a high meat/ cereal free product. There are a number of Purrs regulars who will vouch for the overnight change in output and odour!  :wow:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »
glad everything is progressing nicely

does she have access to the hallway at all times though?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 10:52:32 AM »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 00:57:35 AM »
Glad things went so well in the end - I think cats are more resilient than we give them credit for  :) One of my cats is very sensitive about change, even leaving a stray sock in the middle of the floor has him toe-tapping it like it's a deadly cat eating rat  :tired: When they were poorly a while back I had to keep chopping and changing what rooms the litter trays were in and was worried that he'd get confused or refuse to use it but he wasn't phased in the slightest!

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 23:28:12 PM »
Is this a record for a purrs "problem" to be solved!? ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 22:52:13 PM »
So pleased it worked  ;D ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 22:50:20 PM »
Glad you've got it sorted.  I wish all problems were so easily solved!  :rofl:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 18:47:47 PM »
why not just  swop the new litter tray with the old one as a starter?

if she sticks with her first tray in the new place, you are home and dry (so to speak ;D)

if she prefers the new tray in the old position, I'd gradually move it towards the hall destination

but I wouldn't try manhandling her at all - she'll do what you want in her own good time (probably :evillaugh:)

and there you are - Gill typed her answer while I was still composing, and we are definitely great minds :rofl:

eureka!

i swapped them, gave her another little treat and she went on a wander around and straight in the tray in the hall for a scratch around!! Didn't do anything in there but makes me glad to know she has acknowledged it's position and isn't put off by the little upset we had a couple of hours ago!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 17:48:26 PM »
why not just  swop the new litter tray with the old one as a starter?

if she sticks with her first tray in the new place, you are home and dry (so to speak ;D)

if she prefers the new tray in the old position, I'd gradually move it towards the hall destination

but I wouldn't try manhandling her at all - she'll do what you want in her own good time (probably :evillaugh:)

and there you are - Gill typed her answer while I was still composing, and we are definitely great minds :rofl:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 17:46:49 PM »
Gosh I wish I knew!

In view of he reaction, slowly very slowly...............ummmmmmmm how about changing the two over, put the old one in the new place and the new one in the old place.

Offline Alex S

• Adult Cat
help moving a litter tray
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 17:42:15 PM »
more help again please!

after little madam had an accident under the sofa a couple of months ago we moved her tray into the living room so she didn't have as far to go to do her business (she was very shy at the time), but she's now pretty bold when it comes to wandering around so we want to move the tray back into the hall.

I've bought a second tray (covered) exactly the same as her current one, put half this week's "used" litter in there and put it where we want the tray to be eventually. I just tried introducing her to it by coaxing her out with some ham and giving her a little pick up to move her to the door to have a sniff. When she got within striking range of it she batted the hood off it! I'm guessing she thought i was going to shover her inside (does no bode well for future vets visits!) and she scarpered under back into the living room but instantly reemerged for the rest of her ham and a few strokes and some headbutts so we seem to have avoided a strop thankfully.

So now should i wait for her to use the new one before starting to move the old one closer to it or start right away? If she continues to use the old one should i move one of her poos into the new one so she can smell it when she wanders past?

Any help or tips would be fantastic, never had to do this before and i'm very aware of the need to introduce changes to her routine very gradually to avoid mishaps!

thank you all!

Link to CatChat