Author Topic: Kidney failure?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
Re: Kidney failure?
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 23:29:30 PM »
Afraid I know nothing about kidneys either (other than my mums kidney disease!). What I would say though is that Dave was right round little kitten, even more so after his dinner. He would have a hard round tummy most of the time and he was perfectly healthy, vet never even mentioned it.

So I really hope it's just your vet being over cautious due to the kittens backgrounds :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 22:31:22 PM »
Thank you, that is quite reassuring, as neither of them are showing any sign of illness! I think that is why I am so shocked about it all, the only thing has been Fred's cystitis which started today, so has been caught early, but both of them play and tumble about like normal kittens. Even with the cystitis Fred has been playing! he is a bit subdued now, after being prodded and poked at the vets, I did keep asking if it could be that they haven't developed yet and she should not expect them to match other kittens their age developmentally and have normal kidney function as a result, but she did not say and I was so shocked and upset at the vets, expecting some antibiotics and to be told he has kidney failure! then to be told that the test results were not nearly as bad as she expected (she was good though and squeezed us in at 8 just as they were closing and did all the tests then and there without charging emergency consultation fees). I have never seen this vet before, I normally see a different one, I think she is new or a locum.
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 22:24:14 PM »
I wish I could help but dont know anything either  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I would be tempted to wait to see if the abs work and if so put the tests on hold, I know Sasa has always had a big tummy and is a rugbyball shape but no vet has ever said anythi ng about this.

It could be your vet is just trying to be sure of whats going on either for her own curiosity or for you.

You know your vet and also your cats and its up to you to decide what you allow your vet to do, bearing in mind any effect on your cats and yourself.

I have a birman who wouldnt eat after a dental and that progressed into xrays etc and oh what an interesting case! I was lucky that my vet was sensible enough to take advice from Bristol and then give me a copy of the report together with a long chat. Turned out he had only one working kidney with the other a pea size and dead. He also had stones near this kidney but in view of his age at the time of 15/16, Bristol recommended that nothing was done unless I wanted the kidney and stones removed but they could see no point in that.

It was not known how long he had been like this but it was not affecting him at all and his kidney was about normal for a cat of his age.

I know that others will totally disagree with me but I do not get tests or anything for any of my cats unless they are ill and specifically need them. All 4 are now 9 yrs or older and the birmans 17. I feel the stress to the cats is too much and would rather let them live their little lives in peace unless really necessary.

I hope Fred and Ginger are totally fine  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 22:17:16 PM »
Thank you, I just feel so bad, they have spent their whole little lives fighting, while their brothers and sisters and mum died, they finally get a home where they can play and actually live a little and then this. I am a sap and just can't stop crying :(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 22:03:13 PM »
I'll be honest hun, I have no experience of kidney issues in younger cats at all.

Hopefully some of the rescue peeps with more experience will be able to advise  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
Kidney failure?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 21:58:36 PM »
Hi,
The kittens (Fred and Ginger) which have settled in well here are poorly it seems.
Fred had what I thought was cystitis (and was right about) but the vet said she was worried about his kidney function, as his wee was mostly water and he has a bloated belly (both of them do, and always have had a bloated belly). She did a blood test to check his kidney function and said it was a little high, but they were not failing and she was happy to give him anti inflammatories and antibiotics for his cystitis.
She wants to do xrays and scans of his belly to see if he is retaining water and if so, it means they he (and it is likely his sister) have both got kidney problems.
Both of them are underdeveloped physically, as they had parvo when they were younger and are extremely small for their ages and have a variety of small physical defects (including the big bellys!). The RSPCA where I got them from said they had tested them a lot before I got them to check they were clear of everything and didn't have worms etc.
So, basically, I am crying and panicking and looking for some advice, any advice really. I will be popping to the RSPCA tomorrow morning to see what they say and recommend, and to try and find out what tests they did, but any help or reassurances would be very much appreciated at the moment!!!

Jen

Link to CatChat