Author Topic: Kidney failure?  (Read 5097 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Kidney failure?
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2010, 17:05:39 PM »
Glad they are fine. I do understand your vets point about an ultrasound, Buster's kidneys are on the large end of the scale size wise, but his values are fine - if we had scanned him before bloods, we would have been suspecting kidney issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2010, 20:40:44 PM »
Aw bless them  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2010, 20:36:58 PM »
Wonderful  ;D

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2010, 18:48:53 PM »
They are both back and seem fine. Very tired at first but they are perking up a bit now (Ginger has just been told off for trying to climb the speakers)
They all enjoyed their treat of boiled chicken as well :)
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2010, 18:11:14 PM »
I second that.  :hug: 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2010, 17:25:46 PM »
Hope they are both back now and fine  :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2010, 11:57:01 AM »
Just to update, Fred is being neutered today!
I took him in with his sister for advice and they found his testicles (but did say they are very small  :rofl: poor Fred)
They repeated his blood tests before doing his op though and there has been no decline in kidney function but they did say there was no need to do an ultrasound, as his kidneys could look perfectly normal but the function be impaired and that older cats with kidney failure still might have 'normal' kidneys.
The vets were very good and are going to phone me when his sister Ginger wakes up and then when he wakes up!  :)

My house is very quiet with no kittens :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 11:47:03 AM »
I have only ever had adults with only one descended testicle. I know normal advice is to wait until about 9 months before deciding to find the other one. They do need removing though, as they are more likely to turn cancerous if they haven't descended. It is a bigger op and more expensive though - both mine were lucky and they were easy to find, but sometimes they have to spend ages looking for it. Not sure if i would wait until yours are 12mo though, as even with just one testicle, their urine does have that lovely tom cat smell and they can spray.
Please spay your cat

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2010, 15:29:52 PM »
I have spoken to the vet about the undescended when he had the blood tests about a month ago and she did not seem too worried. She did say they were teething then, and if she hadn't been caring for them when they were younger she would have put them at 2 months younger than they are, if that makes sense. It was only because she knew them, that she knew they were 6 months old at the time, so she said developmentally they seem to be 1-2 months behind (at least in regards to teething) and perhaps it is the same with Fred and his testicles, so to wait and see and try to give him as much time as possible.
Also, sounds strange, but I have never had any experience with this, but will it be that just one day Fred has a couple of furry golfballs? or do they descend and then grow? lol  :-[ I don't really know what I am looking for!

I am very pleased with my little kitty family, its all I could ever have hoped for and I am so proud of my Benji and the way he is with them :)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2010, 12:25:16 PM »
Hope the problem resolves with time.  It sounds like you have a very happy kitty family there  :Luv2:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2010, 11:22:02 AM »
Yes its the undescending that worried me cos very late, I am sure you have talked about this with your vet, but if not , maybe you should?

They all sound great and Sasa does that head pushing to get Misa to clean her and he obliges most of time LOL...........when he does t want he gentle wops her  :hug: :hug:

Sounds like Fred and Benji get on great  ;D

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2010, 09:50:42 AM »
Thank you for the vibes :)
They are coming up to 7 months old now! I can't believe it!
They are still small for their age but are growing well and are enjoying wrestling matches with Benji now (which is worrying to watch as he is 4 times their size! but there is never any injuries or anything and they always go back for more wrestling games and jump on his head and poke him in the face, lol)
I love that Fred loves his washings from Benji so much he runs up to Benji and sticks his head at Benji as if to say 'I'm dirty, its wash time!' hehe, and Benji always obliges, both of them purring away.

With Fred's neutering, I was going to leave it until he is 1 year and then enquire about having his bits removed despite them not having descended (if they haven't by then) as they can cause problems if they are left? My mum's cat, Dog had his undescended testicle removed for that reason.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 23:25:11 PM »
Sending more good vibes and how old is he now?   :hug: :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 22:34:19 PM »
Hope it sorts itself out over time as the vet said. I think that's a good idea about the ultrasound while he's under the GA, much less stress for him and two birds with one stone  :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 09:25:51 AM »
well, finally got the urine test results just now (had to pop a little jar under his bum while he weed, the other litter they just played in! lol)
and he is borderline, his urine is still very dilute and it shouldn't be apparently, but they are going to leave it and re-test him in a few months time, allowing him time to grow and develop properly, as they said they have had some kittens with dodgy results and when they have been left to grow, the results were fine...so, fingers crossed for his next set of tests which will be next year now.
I might ask if it is worth doing an ultrasound scan when he goes in for his neutering op (although I am not sure when that will be as he still has not descended) as then he will be under anyway?
Ginger will be neutered soon, so that he can have the extra time and hopefully his 'man-bits' will make an appearance! lol

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 20:59:36 PM »
When I used to get Max's wee samples, I had to follow him around until he went to his tray, wait until he was mid flow, then lift his tail and stick a shot glass in the way to catch some  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

He would never ever use the crystal litter stuff, so we had to resort to other measures  :rofl:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 12:18:09 PM »
Glad things are looking much better, and good luck with the urine sample, I know how challenging they can be, although Buster is brilliant - he can't resist a litter tray, even if it is empty - 10 mins and you are guaranteed a urine sample from him!!
Please spay your cat

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2010, 09:32:36 AM »
Thank you!
Now just got to get a urine sample, have got the litter stuff, but might have to shut him in a seperate room to do it, otherwise I will end up with the wrong wee.
but at least it is looking good :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2010, 09:23:53 AM »
Great news Jen  :hug:

I know dehydration, stress etc can give false readings so hopefully that was the case.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 22:59:25 PM »
Brilliant News  ;D
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 20:10:03 PM »
So pleased  ;D

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 19:07:47 PM »
well, the results are in and the only thing that is raised slightly are his creatinine (sp?) levels, so they want a urine sample during the week sometime to completely rule out any kidney problems, but they weren't concerned based on his blood test results, so...it is looking good :)
thanks so much for all the help and reassurance!

Jen

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2010, 14:30:49 PM »
Benji sounds adorable and hope the results are good  :hug: :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2010, 14:25:34 PM »
Thank you for all the crossed paws and fingers and toes! Fred was very good at the vets and didn't wriggle or anything, but we do have to wait about 2 days for the blood test results. The vet said that she thought that although they have little pot bellies, they would be much bigger than they are if there was water retention and she had a good feel for anything unusual in both their bellies, but everything felt normal.
Sadly Fred had an empty bladder so she couldn't check his urine, I might have to get a urine sample depending on what the blood test results tell us about Fred.
She seemed very good and everyone at the rescue could not believe how much they had grown!!!
She also said that their adult teeth are only just coming through, so if she did not know any better, she would age them as small 5 month old kittens rather than the 6 1/2 months they are, they checked their records and they cam into the rescue at 4 weeks old, so it seems they are developmentally a little behind, which is what I thought.
So, it is just a waiting game...
What was lovely is that they came home, I sat on the sofa next to Benji and they both jumped on my lap for cuddles while Benji tried to give them a good wash to get rid of the vet smell...3 purring cuddling cats and Benji mothering 2 kittens who have disrupted his home, who steal his food, wake him up, trample all over him and yet he is still so accepting of them! This is my idea of heaven!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2010, 13:36:08 PM »
All paws crossed here  :hug:

Offline AllShookUp

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Annastasia 1994-2009
  • Slave to: Elvis & Miki-MooMoo
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 11:55:49 AM »
 :hug: hope everything goes well xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 11:45:31 AM »
Everything crossed here too  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 11:21:17 AM »
Fingers toes and paws crossed for you  :hug:

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 11:01:36 AM »
Fred will have his blood test today, so fingers and toes and paws crossed please!!! He has been fine in himself, Ginger is getting him into mischief as usual and they have been running around chasing each other all morning.

Jen

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 12:14:24 PM »
well, Fred is fine, it seems the medicine they gave him has worked wonders and he is peeing fine, in the tray, back to normal running around attacking his sister. The next morning in fact, I was sitting in bed with 3 cats running about playing chase and hide, then Fred started playing bed mice!
The RSPCA got back to me, their vet is going to talk to my vet to try and clear things up, but so far haven't heard back from them. They did say though, that Ginger was thoroughly tested (a full blood panel) before rehoming, and it was thought that Gingers results would reflect Fred, as they are physically the same, same environment, siblings and so on, so at least we know that Ginger is just fine.

I think the vet was new, she was very young for a vet! so it could be she was trying to be thorough, which is not necessarily a bad thing, just made me quite panicked!

The RSPCA have asked that I transfer their care back to their vets now and they will cover the costs of any scans, if their vets feel Fred needs any, but I think they want to wait and do the blood test again when the cystitis is completely cleared up.
I was thinkning of getting some cystease to prevent any further flare ups, but Fred and Ginger regularly swap bowls, so would it be ok for Ginger to have it even though she has not had cystitis before?

Thanks for all the advice, I feel much calmer and if there is something wrong, then I am sure there is something that can be done to keep him healthy (prescription diet and so on) as he is happy and healthy in himself, is lively and bright and eating well.

:)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »
It does sound like quite a new vet to me, unless she was just concerned because of how small they are. I actually think your suspicions could be right. Something has just occured to me, what values were high? If it was Urea and not creatnine, then it could be nothing to worry about, if you only have raised Urea that is very common in infections, which is what cystitis is. I would hold off the x-rays and scan (as they have to be sedated for both), and in a month or so once the cystitis has cleared up, get another kidney panel done.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 00:59:01 AM »
Have you had an update from the RSPCA as to what tests were done? Hope the answer puts your mind at rest  :hug:

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 23:56:15 PM »
Your vet was obviously being ultra cautious so the fact that having done the tests whe was happy to go ahead and prescribe the anti-inflammatories would set my mind at rest.  Maybe go in (or give her a ring) and talk to her about she really thinks may be wrong now that you've had toime to get over the initial shock.  The question I would most want an answer to in your shoes would be what can be done about it if she does find a problem and what are the implications of doing nothing. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 22:18:29 PM »
Thats a good question Catgirl  ;D

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 17:49:11 PM »
Do you think the vet you saw was a newby? Just wondering if they were "trying too hard?"I really don't believe in lots of tests,if the animal is acting fine,they(and you)don't need the stress.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 17:35:18 PM »
I too was questioning the water thing like desley but had convinced myself I maybe wrong....thanks Des you have put my head straight again  :hug:

I hope he continues ti improve and becomes totally well again quick.  ;D ;D

Having all the info from RSPCA will be good in case any other probs occur .

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 09:02:14 AM »
Sorry, I have no advice either, just wanted to give you some of these  :hug: :hug: :hug:

as for the un-asked questions, I found it best to write them down as I thought of them
that way, when I went to the vet's again, I'd get my answer's

hth
 :hug:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 08:41:50 AM »
They are 6 months old, but not really fully developed, so physically, they look more like 3 month olds.
I am feeling a bit calmer this morning, I was confused by the water thing as well, but was a bit panicking and shocked, so didn't ask as many questions as I should have.
She said that she would not give him anti-inflammatorys (for the cystitis) without doing the blood test, as they could damage his kidneys.
On the plus side, this morning he seems fine and has not been straining for the toilet or anything, so the injections she gave him seem to have worked quickly.
I have phoned the RSPCA and they are going to find out what tests were done with their previous vets and go from there.
Thank you all for your help! has been reassuring and calmed me down a bit

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:22:03 AM »
how old are they? Kidney problems are rare in young cats, but I have heard of them on the american forum, the youngest being picked up at 6 months old, she had a diet change and meds, and as far as I know is still alive, she is at least 4yo now. I am surprised they have done a blood test so soon into a case of cystitis though, and I would be tempted to get it repeated after the cystitis has cleared up, as it could be a false reading. Never heard of retaining water being linked to kidney problems, they are normally a tad dehydrated and need extra fluids.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 23:33:31 PM »
So I really hope it's just your vet being over cautious due to the kittens backgrounds :hug:

Same here  :hug:

Link to CatChat