Author Topic: Frontline flea treatment has made my cat pull his fur out  (Read 1523 times)

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Frontline flea treatment has made my cat pull his fur out
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:55:38 AM »
If you stand him on damp paper then brush and comb him,if the dust that falls onto the paper turns red,he has fleas. If not,maybe he had a scratch in that area,so the Frontline was able to irritate.I use it every month,all year round.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 18:41:16 PM »
Teresa - thanks, yes I have used it previously and never had a reaction before, even on Billy! And the other cats are fine. I didn't buy it from the vets, just a normal pharmacy (but have had it from my vet in the past, just more expensive there) so don't know if the vets will be a bit miffed that I'm not getting it from them. But if he needs treatment for it being burned I'd better give them a call  :shocked:

Trigger - thanks I will do!

Our furballs do make us worry!  :hug: A good vet will understand that most slaves do not have an unlimited income. Remember the vast majority of vets were attracted to the industry due to an interest in biology and/ or love for animals - needing to turn a profit and pay the bills is a side-line of that.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 17:47:29 PM »
Keep the batch number too.............your vet knows the score on shops selling it so dont worry about that.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
  • Slave to: Phoebe, Boomer, Dillon, Aiden & Billy!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 13:43:38 PM »
Teresa - thanks, yes I have used it previously and never had a reaction before, even on Billy! And the other cats are fine. I didn't buy it from the vets, just a normal pharmacy (but have had it from my vet in the past, just more expensive there) so don't know if the vets will be a bit miffed that I'm not getting it from them. But if he needs treatment for it being burned I'd better give them a call  :shocked:

Trigger - thanks I will do!
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 13:17:06 PM »
it's important your vet knows what has happened, as adverse reactions to widely used drugs should be reported to the manufacturer

and if he needs any treatment for his reaction, you might be able to make a claim against the manufacturer

I would take some close-up photos of the bald patch too
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 13:13:21 PM »
Perhaps a quick phone call to the vet for advice. I know Olly ended up with a badly burnt neck which needed vet treatment from a reaction to Frontline. Just want to add that I have used Frontline on hundreds of others who have been fine. 

Offline Elle CatRescueUK

• Adult Cat
  • Cat Rescue UK
    • Cat Rescue UK
  • Slave to: Phoebe, Boomer, Dillon, Aiden & Billy!
Frontline flea treatment has made my cat pull his fur out
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »
I treated my cats the other night with Frontline flea pipettes (one for each cat on back of neck) and Billy had a bald spot yesterday and I thought it was weird, then overnight there is a pile of fur on the carpet and a massive patch has been pulled out and his skin is bleeding in tiny spots where I put it on :(

This has never happened before, but I am intermittent with treating them, the last one was earlier in the year with no side effects! What shall I do?? I've washed the area now but how to I treat the skin so the irritation goes??

Thanks
www.catrescue.uk
Rescue & Rehoming Stray and Unwanted Cats in Nottinghamshire. I am an independant rescue.

Link to CatChat