Author Topic: Tar on tooth  (Read 2464 times)

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
Re: Tar on tooth
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 22:58:44 PM »
That's great, thanks. Where do you get your Applaws on offer from? I have never seen it being on special and believe me I have been looking.  :innocent:

Applaws comes on offer at Pet Supermarket and Zooplus, think I've seen it on special at Pet Planet too. Also Sainsbury's Encore is identical and that comes on offer every so often. Sometimes the offers get posted on the Purrs Bargains board - Mark is very good at keeping an eye on all the e-mails - and there are a couple of threads on MoneySavingExpert forums (Pets & Groceries boards IIRC) where pet food offers get mentioned, so could be worth subscribing to the threads on MSE?  :wow:
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 22:35:31 PM »
I was told my 7 month old kitten had inflamed gums and her teeth had a little tartar.  I've been using logic gel which they all go through phases of loving or not.  Last night I attempted brushing their teeth  :shy: The vet recommended a baby's toothbrush and though none of them approved they didnt hate it and forgave me afterwards.

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 22:09:21 PM »
That's great, thanks. Where do you get your Applaws on offer from? I have never seen it being on special and believe me I have been looking.  :innocent:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 21:45:04 PM »
Shameless copy and paste from a recent post
"I feed Orijen occasionally but it is super expensive even considering the portion sizes are far smaller than JWB etc. so I tend to mention it with other grain-free dry foods. Applaws comes on offer regularly, as does Sainsbury's Encore (identical to Applaws), Porta21 from Zooplus (Finest Sensitive variant), Fish4Cats is also cereal free and very keenly priced - around half the price of Orijen!  :wow:

Arden Grange is a lower meat content than any of the brands above, but IIRC the meat is free-range if ethics are part of your decision making. If price is more important you could try Jollyes Lifestage which has the same meat content for half the price, but neither are much higher meat than your James Wellbeloved (Mars).

Also if ethics are not your prime concern most Hills (Colgate-Palmolive) variants bar the 'light' variants are ~50% meat and often on a three for two."

And another shameless copy and paste!
"For me price absolutely is a consideration, I aim to feed Noah (large male) well on 50p per day. Noah's frozen chicken portions, raw kidney and liver are all £1.40 per kilo which is cheaper that most commercial foods. He has 200g raw per day, costing approximately 30p. Bozita pate (90% meat) was about 90p per carton when I last bought in bulk, he has 2/3 of a carton a day so 60p. Feline Fayre large tins (70% meat) were 30p and he'd usually have 1/3 of a tin alongside another complete food so 10p for one large meal.

Switching Noah from Felix wet plus James Wellbeloved dry meant he stopped doing three  poops a day reducing to one to two. Less poop means I spend less on cat litter, but it also means less wasted £££ on cat food that literally gets flushed down the toilet! "

I'd be surprised if JWB made your boy fuller than a high meat content diet - for humans it is fibre, fat and protein that give satiety. This suggests it is the same for felines http://www.westvalleypetclinic.com/cats.html
Note that the most common carb sources in dry cat food are corn, wheat and rice, all of which are high GI (cause peaks and troughs in blood sugar).

Noah loves his grub but appears fullest on raw days, not sure if it is the nutrition or the fact that he spends longer eating or both. Your alternative is to do as the pet food manufacturers do and add soluble fibre to the Bozita - I have used ground linseeds and Mark has recommended Protextin from VetUK.  ;)
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 21:59:45 PM »
Well, that's what I call wealth of info. Brilliant. Thanks very much to you all especially Fire Fox. I feel a bit more relaxed though like the idea of maybe trying a chicken carcass rather than wings. Will also feed them in separate rooms at least in the evenings (mornings are always such mad rush  :Crazy:).

As for food I tend to feed a combo of wet and dry. Wet - bozita and dry - WJB. I know WJB contains grains but they weren't very keen on the pure stuff and whilst they were growing up I wanted them to eat well. No so worried any more so may try again (tho Applaws is really exp and so is Orijen etc). They definitely prefer wet food but it would cost me a fortune in bozita packs so i tend to put a bit of wet food in their bowls and sprinkle it with dry stuff. Might just feed the boy dry for a bit as it may reduce his appetite a bit.

Thanks again! :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 00:30:51 AM »
This is a good site about feline nutrition in general, and raw feeding, which might help, written by a vet http://catinfo.org/

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 19:13:28 PM »
Teresa you made me blush!  :-[ For the benefit of anyone who doesn't know my qualifications/ experience are in human healthcare (including nutrition) but I am aware of that felines are obligate carnivores with a different digestive system than ours.

Traditional vets do still recommend dry food for cleaning teeth, but AFAIK there is no scientific evidence to support this. It is worth remembering that vets, like GPs, have to be all rounders so they will partly rely on commercial organisations to keep their knowledge up to date. If dry food contains 'starchy' carbohydrates (from cereals) this can feed plaque bacteria in the mouth just like sugar - this information can be found on the net or ask your own dentist. Given that cats have zero nutritional requirement for carbohydrates this is one more nail in the coffin for most dry diets IMO.

The evidence for raw bone cleaning teeth is anecdotal, but it's interesting to note it is your boy who has tartar. A number of more progressive vets are convinced enough to publicly advocate feeding raw bones - IIRC I easily found proof on Aussie vet practice websites a while back. Is it completely safe? No doubt there have been cases of bones getting stuck, just as there will be cases of a pet inhaling a biscuit and choking.  :(  Felines have evolved to hunt, butcher, chew and digest bone-in raw meat: zoos do not use Hills Science for their big cats, neither do many Bengal breeders! Are we really so arrogant to think Purina-Nestle knows better than Mother Nature what cats thrive on?  :shify:

*dismounts soapbox*

Noah tends to strip the meat off bones unless I chop them with poultry shears to reveal the marrow; or do you mean your boy is not interested in the meat either? A shame if so as my Noah (as greedy as many dogs!) seems fuller on days he only has raw. You don't necessarily need to adjudicate at mealtimes, maybe feed them in separate rooms?

If you remain concerned about splinters you could try turkey necks and chicken carcasses instead of wings as the vertebrae are rounded and the ribs small and soft. I'm not clear as to whether the main part of their diet is wet or wet and dry at present? If you are using a kibble this may be contributing to the weight problem as it is more calorie dense than wet, plus there is scientific evidence linking grains to weight problems in canines. You might also consider a supplement (or food containing) cranberry extract, there is evidence it stops plaque bacteria sticking to the teeth just as it does in the bladder.

If you are still torn and would like me to link to the evidence I refer to will be happy to do so, but it may take me a couple of days to get time to sit down with Google!
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 21:18:18 PM »
I wouldn't be overly worried, it's perfectly normal to have some tartar as animals age  :hug: My vet told me the same thing about Lu at their first yearly booster (so they were just over a year old) and I got all worried thinking he was going to have mouth problems but I needn't have worried.

I started using logic gel and plaque off (a powder that you sprinkle on food) and his teeth weren't mentioned as being any worse than a normal cat of that age at their subsequent check ups (they're 3 1/2 now). It's hard to say whether the logic gel /plaque off have been effective as obviously I don't know what they're teeth would be like without it but as they're relatively inexpensive it's worth a go.

I found this link that describes how to age an animal according to it's teeth, obviously you know how old your own cats are but it gives you an idea of how much tartar build up might be expected - see pic

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 20:35:40 PM »
We used Logic on Minimopsical and I think it helped clean her teeth a lot. Dry food is better on teeth but harsher on other body parts like kidneys, it also piles the pounds on if you arent careful. Noticed on another thread re diet Fire Fox has been giving some excellent information, hopefully she will see this thread.
Good Luck

Offline golden eagle

• Adult Cat
Tar on tooth
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 19:48:02 PM »
So I took the kittens yesterday to their annual vet visit and found out that the boy has tar on one of his teeth. They are only one just over 1 year old.  :shocked: The vet gave me some gel to put either on his paw or directly to his gums. Has anyone had any experience with it? Will it solve the problem? I don't want him to lose his teeth too young. I give them chicken wings but the boy doesn't really eat them (the girl loves them) and the vet said I shouldn't be giving them raw bones anyway as they are sharp and could get stuck in their throat.  The vet recommended I only fed them dry food from now on as wet food is bad for their teeth but there seems to be a theory that the dry food doesn't actually help cats' teeth (but chicken bones do). Really confused about all this conflicting advice. Any views?

In addition, the boy is also about half a kilo too heavy but how do I stop him eating the girl's food? I can't stand over them all the time.  :Crazy:

Link to CatChat