Author Topic: Vet Consultation Fee - How much does yours charge?  (Read 15691 times)

Offline LazyDaisy

• Kitten
Re: Vet Consultation Fee - How much does yours charge?
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2010, 20:37:37 PM »
Daisy was at the vet this morning - her consultation cost 19.90

Offline madamcat (Edd)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2010, 19:33:57 PM »
Around £32 for a 1st consult here  :shocked:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 18:50:34 PM »
28 for consultation

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 18:49:35 PM »
Noah has only had one check up since being with me; I was verbally quoted ~£25 but only got charged ~£15 including cleaning his ears and clipping his nails.  :wow: But I do live in a cheap city.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline x.shell.x

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Peppa and Jasper
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 02:46:39 AM »
My local vet is pretty high it costs £28 for every visit before you even get started :S

My old girl jasper had to have a tooth pulled about a month ago and it cost us just under £170 and when she had a run in with a car last year we had to call out of hours she went missing for about a week and due to her age we thought that was the last we were going to see her but she showed up at the back of 4 in the morning and so we were charged £147 before they even seen the sorry mess my girl was in. I wont even go into how much all the diff treatments were. She had to stay with them for 4 days and after that we had to take her up every day for almost 2 weeks and each time we were charged £28.

I think the cost is shocking just so you can look after your pet well and keep them healthy.

Will have to post up a picture of Jasper for everyone to see she only has one ear now and the top of her head is flat if you run your hand across it. She is a tough cookie though. the vets didnt think she would get better.

Offline msrisotto

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 21:09:03 PM »
My vets charge £15 consultation (west midlands) I love them, they're so cheap. The vet bless her clearly is all about the animals. She doesn't talk to me. Our consultations are all conducted through the cat! She'll ask the cat what is wrong, i'll respond, she'll ask the cat if she's gone off her food/going to the toilet as usual etc and i'll respond. It's hilarious! love her for it though.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 11:42:58 AM »
I just had a look at mine as I had no idea what mine was  :scared:  I've had a number of freebies from them.

Initial consultation/exam is - £25.13 then they have a sliding scale £20.26/£17.62/£8.00

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 12:58:06 PM »
I am not actually in the UK - I am in the Isle of Man
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 12:47:27 PM »
I think part of it depends on where you're located in the UK too. Glad Stray is OK. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 12:45:51 PM »
Thanks people looks like there is quite a variation between practices
My practice is independent by the way

By the way Yvonne, what's happened to stray?  Hope he's OK  :hug:

He was here this morning and the cut/bite looks much better

He has gone again now, I know that other people must be feeding him because he never seems hungry when he is here.  Don't know whether he is looking for love or just gone hunting.   :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 12:29:48 PM »
It cost me £95 for an emergency consultation on Monday (bank holiday), they did warn me before I took Leo. I think my regular vets charge around £28 but I have used them for years and would never consider using another vet as its a matter of trust for me.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 11:29:24 AM »
I think mine are just over £20 now, and they have different prices for 2nd and 3rd consultation. My vets are open on a Sat morning at normal price, but my friends had to use the emergency vet last week and I think they said the consult was £82.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 11:12:54 AM »
I took a stray tom cat to the Vet this morning who had a nasty gash on his rear end.  I do not have a problem with the antibiotic jab that cost £11.30 but £27.20 for a consultation I felt was very steep for a stray un neutred tom cat.  I thought under the circumstances she would have done it cheaper than that.  Could it be a bit more expensive for a Saturday?

Consultations are just under £30 for senior vet and just under £20 for follow up but I often get a freebie esp for follow ups.  We have a Saturday morning surgery at ours and open surgery for a couple of hours in an associated surgery 3 miles away and no increased rates charged.  I do think charging £27.20 to treat a stray is pushing it esp as I imagine you are a good customer Yvonne.  Is it a chain or an independent practice?  Teresa commented recently that independent practices are perhaps more likely to acknowledge good customers and I think that's right.

I brought kitten, recently found bedraggled by canal, to vet.  Intention was to rehome him through CP (OK so that didn't go to plan :innocent: )and no consultation charge was made by vet even though he was the "horrid" one.  Needless to say I don;t think of him as the "horrid" one any more  ;)

By the way Yvonne, what's happened to stray?  Hope he's OK  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 10:44:36 AM »
I've asked about this on forums before and I think the highest consultation fee I was told about was £39.  My vet is very cheap. She charges £18 and included within this is a follow up if needed within a couple of days.  My cat started getting cystitis in October last year and I paid the £18 then.  She's had to return twice with a new bout and my vet has charged me £9 for each extra appointment.  Don't want to rub it in, but they have a surgery even on a Sunday.

My vet is similar. I think an initial one is about £22 and a follow-up is about £10. I was only charged the £10 last Sunday as it was to do with Clapton's mouth that had been operated on about 5 weeks previously. (My vet is open 9 - 12 on Saturdays and 9 - 11 on Sundays)

I'm pretty sure if someone phoned our branch about a stray, we would pick up the tab for it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:45:47 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:15:10 AM »
Sorry Yvonne but thats about right, infact its cheaper than some areas :(

I do think vet charges are getting higher and higher, which is the reason so many people don;t get their animals treated

Offline Lotzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 10:00:54 AM »
I've asked about this on forums before and I think the highest consultation fee I was told about was £39.  My vet is very cheap. She charges £18 and included within this is a follow up if needed within a couple of days.  My cat started getting cystitis in October last year and I paid the £18 then.  She's had to return twice with a new bout and my vet has charged me £9 for each extra appointment.  Don't want to rub it in, but they have a surgery even on a Sunday.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 09:44:03 AM »
My regular vet charges £12.95. The vet I had to use yesterday for my snake charged £24.95.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 03:12:21 AM »
I think mine are £25 -i never end up with a straight forward consultation though - when i come out its always got injections or tablets added to it .
Our vet is £100 call out fee before doing anything -i have rung him out of hours a few times ,but luckily not had to have him out -touch wood !!

If its a follow up and they don''t need anything doing its free - Sophie had her stitches out and there was no charge.
Fifi only had a charge again as she had 2 injections.
My vet is wonderful -there are only 2 and its an independant practise.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 15:44:34 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 00:30:13 AM »
I think I was charged about the same when  I took "my" unneutered stray Tom in.  I think the follow up ones were cheaper but the initial one was a shock!  I suppose they have to charge the same otherwise anyone could pretend their cat was a stray (especially if it was unchipped).

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 00:09:18 AM »
I think mine charge either £32 or £37 for first consultation and have a sliding scale for second consultation and second animal and so on.

At my vets, Saturday is for emergency appointments only so I can imagine the fee will be a bit more and I dread to think what an out of hours emergency fee would be *scary*
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 23:59:14 PM »
About £25

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
Vet Consultation Fee - How much does yours charge?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 23:34:24 PM »
I have been a bit miffed all day, I took a stray tom cat to the Vet this morning who had a nasty gash on his rear end.  I do not have a problem with the antibiotic jab that cost £11.30 but £27.20 for a consultation I felt was very steep for a stray un neutred tom cat.  I thought under the circumstances she would have done it cheaper than that.  Could it be a bit more expensive for a Saturday?

How much does your Vet charge for a consultation fee?

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Link to CatChat