Author Topic: Willow - Our baby has gone  (Read 33138 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Willow is at the vets on fluids again.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 12:38:58 PM »
Thanks Des - they are going to give me a demo tomorrow when there are more vets and less animals around.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Willow is at the vets on fluids again.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »
Fingers crossed the drip helps a lot Mark.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Willow - Our baby has gone
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:27:01 PM »
She has been going downhill lately but last night she was in la la land. She was like it this morning as well. Luckily our vet is open on Sundays for 2 hours. I took her down and she is quite dehydrated and the vet thinks 24hrs on fluids will help. He was very busy due to being closed yesterday but we briefly discussed me doing subQs which he is fine about. He said I can also do her B12 and Laurabolin injections if I want to.

It is horrible leaving them at the vets but I know she will feel better tomorrow. The vet said she was at the stage where she wanted to drink but felt too nauseous. He said the kidneys are excreting fluid at the same rate so if nothing is going in, they dehydrate rapidly and dehydrations is what kills CRF cats.

I asked if her having a lot of turkey made it worse and he said it probably did  :( - he said it may have caused a spike in her phosphorus.

I asked about doing full bloods but he said it was a waste of time and money doing them on a dehydrated cat as the readings would be false - he said he wouldn't trust them. He said he knows her creatinine, urea etc will be high ATM ands doesn't need a bloods test to confirm it.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 13:13:43 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat