Author Topic: Vibes needed please - all 3 poorly - RIP Sam :(  (Read 50396 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Vibes needed please - all 3 poorly - RIP Sam :(
« Reply #334 on: July 22, 2010, 08:24:19 AM »
The syringe goes off their weight, so there is a notch for each kilo - but it starts at 2, cos you shouldnt give it to cats under 2kg. STruggled slightly to get the dosage right, and she doesn't like being pinned down twice, but she didn't seem to be limping as much this morning, so will persevere, cos it is better than increasing it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #333 on: July 21, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »
Wouldn't that be ml or mg?  Glad she's ok in herself and maybe the limp is just stiffness so long as the pain isn't there.  Byron has just 1 drop on her food.  I wonder why she won't eat after Metacam? Byron hasn't stopped since I've put her on it and I'm presuming partly because she's feeling better.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:57:35 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #332 on: July 21, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
Fine in herself - walking about the house more since I lost Sam, jumping on the sofa more. We have a locum this week, who I spoke to, she said that as her kidneys aren't functioning properly, it doesnt matter whether I give her a 1kg dose or 3kg dose. She did suggest splitting it into a 1kg dose in the morning and 1.5 in the evening to see if that helps her limp more before increasing it (that was fun with the syringe, it starts at 2kg!!) - she hates being medicating, but will persevere for 3 days if it will help her limp without going up a dose. She did then say if it continued to bring her back in case there is soemthing else we can try, but we have already tried 6 kinds of supplements and Onsior, not sure what else there is, as I think it is the gingivitis that is worse, she wont eat after 24 hours or so with no Metacam, and her limp wasn't as bad as this week last time i tried to reduce it.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #331 on: July 20, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »
 :hug: :hug: I really hope they can help Zi, Desley.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #330 on: July 20, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
How does she seem on herself Desley?

I have Byron on just 1 drop a day (only recently started) and she seems so much better in herself but occasionally limps but maybe it's just stiffness and if she is painfree..... what do you/the vet think?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #329 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12:42 AM »
Well, she is now limping more - she isn't on the highest dose, but all her values are high (although not overly so), so am reluctant to increase it - plus once I do, we can't go any higher, so if she continues to limp, there are no options. I think I will have to put a call into the vet and see what he says.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #328 on: July 04, 2010, 10:03:19 AM »
Have had a really bad weekend with Zi - she has been so grumpy that Ellie has been batted round the head numerous times (and most of it for trying to get past her to get to me), her fur near her back legs isn't looking great, just tried to groom her and got bit for my troubles, she is also looking really thin on her back end this weekend. Her walking looks funny from the back (although she is still managing stairs and stuff), but when i gave her last nights Metacam, she moved at the wrong point, and part of it went over my arm, and I didn't want to give her anymore as I didn't know just how much she had had. Am going to ring the vets on Mon and find out just what her blood results and weight was.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #327 on: June 27, 2010, 11:14:58 AM »
Her results are back - I dont have the exact numbers, the vet just said they aren't that much different to last time, except she was just within the normal range last time and she isn't anymore, so she is back in mild renal insufficiency. Her phosphorus was low last time and isn't anymore, so the vet thinks that is good (I'm not too sure, personally). I also got a urine sample, as it makes testing more effective apparently and he was happy with that. I asked him about feeding her the high fish content foods, and he said not to - so she got a full pouch when she got home (well, she had been starved, locked in one room all day and then had bloods taken!). Now I know the results, I am still going to do it one day a week, as it is the only food she will take her Metacam in without noticing, and the only food she will eat a full pouch of. Am not sure whether to do repeat bloods in 3 months (the only reason I do 3 monthly rather than 6 monthly is because of her being on Metacam, and that was what I thought had caused the kidney issues - the vet did say it might have. The irony is that she still limps, but I am reluctant to put her up to the next dose of Metacam, as that is the highest we can go with her weight, and is a lot riskier to her kidneys, especially if she loses weight, as it only has a narrow therapeutic safety margin, so overdose can be seen at small overdose levels). At least things are looking better than they did in December.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #326 on: June 24, 2010, 19:41:57 PM »
I have thought of the glucosamine although I thought it was more to prevent from getting worse than improvement, where is the best place to buy?

Vet uk  ;) theres so many to choose from, pick hydrochloride not sulphate as its better for the body to absorb. It helps replace cartiledge and the fluid in the joints but not all arthritis is down to that, tbh if shes struggling that much metacam will keep her most comfy as no joint supplement relieves pain

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #325 on: June 24, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
Won't she take Antirobe in milk?

I have thought of the glucosamine although I thought it was more to prevent from getting worse than improvement, where is the best place to buy?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #324 on: June 21, 2010, 08:09:18 AM »
Have you not tried any glucosamine supplements? They will be much better for her health wise.

They are, her breath doesn't seem as stinky, but the Convenia didn't really do much - although I didn't expect it too, I haven't had great success with that and sore mouths. Shame I can't get Antirobe into her though
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #323 on: June 20, 2010, 20:14:09 PM »
Awww poor Zi, glad to hear she's enjoying her renal food though and that Molly is doing ok  :hug:

I've started to give Byron 1 drop of Metacam a day these last few days because I've noticed her struggling to settle down now  although I do think this warm weather affects her joints.   She also isn't grooming like she was either and I'm having to pluck her little tufts out - my two sometimes get them on their head too.

Aren't these mouth problems a pain, I hope that the vet visit goes well for Zi  :hug: 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 20:15:04 PM by Janeyk »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #322 on: June 20, 2010, 11:43:13 AM »
Zi was sick again on Fri night, I had already booked her bloods for Tues, so as she hasnt' been sick since, we are going to wait till then. Her fur isn't great these days (rarely see her groom) and she still limps despite being on daily Metacam, so will have to see what the vet says about her
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #321 on: May 30, 2010, 12:11:13 PM »
Thanks.

Molly had her three month check up this week, it was a locum vet who is very nice, she had put a bit of weight on (although that could be partly due to bloating), and overall he is happy with her, she doesn't need to go back for another three months - I mentioned that I had had another cat with intestinal lymphoma and she went downhill very quickly despite being on a higher dose of steroids and he said that each cat is affected differently, and that they can have a more benign form, which is still serious, but obviously gives them longer, so hopefully that is the case with Molly, as it is 4 months since someone thought her tummy didn't feel right, I only had Mabel for 5 weeks and the rescue hadn't noticed any diarrhea while there, and it took nearly 3 weeks to show here. She is happy in herself and eating well (getting a bit more demanding for food, but then she has always been a very food orientated cat, despite being a small cat).

Zi is getting quite fed up with being syringed Metacam, I am going to give her a few days of it in high fish content food (She got wise to that the other week), and is a bit wary as I have been brushing her lumps out - she is the only cat I know who can get lumps on her head - she is shorthaired!! Her breath is quite stinky again, but the Convenia didn't really help her much, I feel like we are fighting a losing battle with her gingivitis, nothing seems to help, althoguh it can be caused by kidney issues, so maybe that is why. I got her some different food from PAH, she isn't eating loads of it, but still loving her renal dry, although I caught Ellie eating it this morning, so not sure how much of it she has had this week, I have been amazed at the clean bowl, but now suspecting Elllie!!
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #320 on: May 26, 2010, 20:57:40 PM »
He was a handsome man, Desley. :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #319 on: May 26, 2010, 20:56:27 PM »
Desley i am so sorry :hug: :hug:
RIP beautiful Sam :( :'(
Thinking of you.xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #318 on: May 22, 2010, 08:53:21 AM »
He was Mark, everyone on the street loved him, I think my neighbours were secretly glad he was never up for rehoming - there were times I wasn't though, like when he sprayed in teh house cos I wouldnt let him out!!
Thanks Carol, me too!!

Zi has been sick again this morning, a week after she was last sick, I have given her some Zantac, but really reluctant to get anymore, she keeps foaming after I give it to her, and I also dont want to her stop coming near me, as if I can't give her her Metacam, she cant/wont eat. I did notice her fur was looking a bit separated last night too, but she didn't seem dehydrated. The vet wanted to do bloods, but I am reluctant - partly due to selfish reasons, I dont want to know at this moment if her kidneys are getting worse, and partly cos if they are, I am not sure what else we can do - she can't take Fortekor, her dry food is renal (which is the majority of her diet), and she is picky with renal wet. There are only binders in her wet, but she is very picky about her wet food, so I dont want to stop her eating it completely. My only aim when I got her diagnosis was to get her to her birthday, which was last week, so it is ironic she starts being sick more frequently around that time - it is 5 months since her diagnosis though
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:53:35 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #317 on: May 21, 2010, 19:53:36 PM »
 :Luv2:  those pics have brought tears to my eyes.  I can see why you were so attached to him Des but as always, you put your own feelings aside and did what was right for him .  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #316 on: May 21, 2010, 18:54:53 PM »
He looked like the kind of cat you fall in love with instantly.
There is something gentle about his face.  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #315 on: May 21, 2010, 10:22:54 AM »
Awwwwwww gorgeous pics of a gorgeous boy  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
 :Luv2:  :Luv2: :Luv2: Beautiful  pictures of dear Sam
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:53:43 AM by Janeyk »

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #313 on: May 20, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
Im sorry Desley  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Sam
Play well at the bridge baby
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #312 on: May 20, 2010, 07:59:32 AM »
Thanks everyone - I know I got the timing spot on with him, which is a help.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #311 on: May 19, 2010, 22:47:22 PM »
 :'( Desley  :hug: :hug:

God bless and RIP sweet Sam xx

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #310 on: May 19, 2010, 22:40:39 PM »
So sorry about Sam  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #309 on: May 19, 2010, 22:23:22 PM »
So sorry to hear about Sam Desley  :hug:

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #308 on: May 19, 2010, 22:12:59 PM »
Desley,   my thoughts are with you tonight  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #307 on: May 19, 2010, 22:12:25 PM »
Sorry Des  :hug:

You had no choice really and timed it about right - it sounds like he would have suffered if you left it any longer. That is all we can do for them  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #306 on: May 19, 2010, 22:01:12 PM »
My thoughts are with you, Desley.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #305 on: May 19, 2010, 21:56:11 PM »
So sorry about Sam but you gave him a comfortable happy home and dignity at the end :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #304 on: May 19, 2010, 19:52:29 PM »
So sorry to hear about Sam  :(  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #303 on: May 19, 2010, 19:42:11 PM »
I'm sorry Desley  :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Sam, play hard on the Bridge little one xxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #302 on: May 19, 2010, 19:02:38 PM »
So sorry to hear about Sam Desley. So so hard

When Ollie was really Ill Tyler used to always be pining, guess they can sence when something wrong

RIP sam and big hugs to you Desley   :hug: :hug:
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #301 on: May 19, 2010, 18:59:22 PM »
sorry to hear about Sam  :hug:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2010, 18:53:55 PM »
Thanks everyone. At least Ellie doesn't seem to be pining too much, it is weird cos every mornign for ages she has walked round crying when he goes out in the morning, so I expected her to do something similar, but she has been really playful, not too keen on sitting on my knee though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #299 on: May 19, 2010, 18:26:04 PM »
So very sorry Desley, words cannot express enough  :hug: :hug:

RIP Sam

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #298 on: May 19, 2010, 18:22:50 PM »
So very sorry Desley, my thoughts are with you. :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Vibes needed please - all 3 poorly
« Reply #297 on: May 19, 2010, 18:16:59 PM »
Desley, there are never words at a time like this. :care: RIP Sam - what a lovely boy you sounded.

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
« Reply #296 on: May 19, 2010, 13:29:20 PM »
 :hug:  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #295 on: May 19, 2010, 13:17:16 PM »
Thanks everyone - Sam had his usual reaction at the sight of a needle, so while it was a bit harder, at least he still felt well enough to fight us. The rest of it went peacefully though. When we checked his mouth, the vet said it was about 4 times bigger than when he first saw it, which was only 3 weeks ago, and it was really affecting his jaw, which is why it was bleeding so often, so the vet was right about it being inoperable, and the fact it got so big so soon meant it likely was cancer. He had also lost a bit more weight. While I am still annoyed with the first vet for not picking it up, at least it meant I only had the last 3 weeks knowing he had a growth, and not nearly 3 months. I just can't help thinking we might have been able to buy him another few weeks if he had started ab's and Metacam sooner. The vet was really compassionate afterwards, and even expressed concern about me driving home, which I have never had before, and spent time with me talking through things. I will do a tribute to him soon, he was such a wonderful cat, RIP my little meerkat.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat