Author Topic: Vibes needed please - all 3 poorly - RIP Sam :(  (Read 50393 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Vibes needed please - all 3 poorly
« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2010, 08:07:40 AM »
I am not too convinced his weigh in will go well, I wouldnt be surprised if he has dropped a bit more weight, and he really can't afford to. I had to take some more mats out of his fur last night, although he was more co-operative - he obviously isn't grooming himself well, it is over a year since he had his teeth out, so not cos of that. His mouth did bleed slightly again yesterday, so I need to speak to the vet about that, and I am going to ask the vet if we could do a needle biopsy through his chin, as you can feel a definite lump now, I just dont want a biopsy done through his mouth.

The ab jab has stopped Zi's mouth being stinky, but not really done much for her appetite.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #253 on: May 08, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »
WEll, it is obvious Sam has a growth, you can feel it, but it does feel different now, I think the Metacam is reducing something. He does keep getting food stuck to his mouth, so the worktop/floor/cupboards are full of little bits of food - he obviously wants me to do more housework!! He isn't as tolerant of Ellie these days either. He is being weighed on Mon, and then we can decide whether to keep him on 10mg Vidalta or put him up to 15 - I dont think he has gained much weight, although the vet was happy for him to stay stable.

I took Zi for a Convenia jab yesterday - he wasn't 100% happy to give it to her, as apparently ab's dont always work for gingivitis as it is the bacteria attacking the teeth that is the problem, and ab's normally attack bacteria in the capillaries, anti-inflammatories are much better. The ideal scenario would be a dental, but as she is an 'old dear', there are concerns with the GA. So i have to monitor her, and if it has helped, he will keep doing them, if not, he would prefer not to, as it is one less med for her kidneys to process. He also said that 90% of cats over the age of 12 have some level of arthritis, which I thought was interesting.

He fussed her a lot more than Sam (although could be cos she isn't a limpet like Sam!!), so still like this vet - will see what happens when Mollys steroids run out, whether he will insist on seeing her or not.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #252 on: May 02, 2010, 13:02:21 PM »
It is much better than the other vet who wanted him pre-starved so if he didn't like his heart rate or weight he could take bloods.

You wouldnt tell there was anything wrong today (apart from the visual), he has been in a really food demanding mood, even trying to finish Ellies food - ironically, the rescue gave me some Classic for her, and that is what he is trying to eat, despite all these attempts at getting him to eat it - the stuff I had was fishy, and I opened a beef tin last night, so maybe it is the meat that makes the difference, I dont think he is that keen on fish flavoured foods.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #251 on: May 02, 2010, 12:35:00 PM »
The vet sounds good Desley and much like my vet, she doesn't keep testing Pepper, his weight was fine and heart/bp etc and when I asked she said maybe next time.  Byron is very slim and my vet always says she keeps a good weight I suppose there's less stress on the joints at that age.

I do hope that poor Sam's mouth improves  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #250 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:06 AM »
Well, I do like my new vet, he is much more relaxed about Sam's hyper-t treatment, he will just let me have tablets without putting Sam through another blood test, and without seeing him again. I have said I will get him weighed a couple of days beforehand just to be on the safe side, but he is happy as long as Sam stays stable, he isn't bothered if he doesn't gain much weight, unlike the other vet, apparently it is better for them to be lean in old age, although I would have thought after losing 400g in a month, some weight gain would be good, as he can't afford to lose more. Unfortunately the main reason for the relaxed attitude is that his hyper-t is a secondary issue at the moment.

His mouth was a lot cleaner, but there is still a growth - I could feel it last night when stroking his chin. IT is slightly affecting his eating, in that he is getting a build up of food in the side of his mouth (got bits of food shook on me three times last night!!). What was worse yesterday though was I got up to bits of blood on the kitchen floor - I had broken one of the cat bowls the night before, so first instinct was I had missed a bit (which I had), until I turned round with the cleaning stuff to find blood splatters up the kitchen wall!! His mouth had obviously bled a bit, so he shook his head and hit the wall - that is the second time his mouth has bled this week, so obviously something is getting worse. I am annoyed at the vet who looked at him 2 weeks ago and said his mouth was fine.

I am a lot more relaxed about it than I was when we first suspected it 7 weeks ago, can't work out why. Other than a/b's and Metacam, there is nothing we can do, as I am not willing to put him through a biopsy (and the vet isn't keen too either, and he isn't the only one, when we first suspected this, I spoke with 2 vets and the vet nurse and none recommended it).

Molly has been incredibly demanding this weekend, bless her - she still looks in good health, apart from her shaved bits that aren't growing back very well.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2010, 08:11:02 AM »
I think they are similar to human IBS symptoms, although I can definitely feel a lump on Molly's side, so think the vet is right.

We are back off to see the vet tonight, so will have to see what the vet says. He isn't letting anything bother him though (except Ellie, she laid near him last night and he kept flicking his tail, so she thought it was a fantastic game!!).
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #248 on: April 29, 2010, 21:19:56 PM »
What are the symptoms of cat IBS? Similar to people? (Wondering if Sages gippy tummy might be that....?)
I would imagine cats can have IBS and symptoms could be anything affecting the gut similar to human IBS symptoms

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #247 on: April 29, 2010, 20:51:41 PM »
I love those pictures! What are the symptoms of cat IBS? Similar to people? (Wondering if Sages gippy tummy might be that....?)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #246 on: April 29, 2010, 20:03:55 PM »
They are all lovely :shy: Even though it wasn't the best vet visit ever at least Sam seems to be doing well enough for now. Glad the vet is thorough.  Our favourite vet is very brisk, but very thorough, good at explaining things and has a really nice way with animals - now we've got used to her I think she's one of the best vets we've ever had so hopefully yours will turn out to be similar.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2010, 16:33:54 PM »
LOVE that pic in the sun. Bliss!  :Luv2:
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2010, 16:16:58 PM »
Aw lovely photies  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2010, 16:02:10 PM »
More photos  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2010, 09:30:29 AM »
No problem  :)   Yep I can imagine them all waiting!
I hope it is Desley and if you can find things she likes and can tolerate that is great.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2010, 08:28:28 AM »
Took another pic last night Jane, if you wouldnt mind posting it? I was late home, so had a welcoming committee!!

Thanks, I look at her at times and wonder if the vet got the diagnosis wrong and it is IBS instead (she is worse on certain foods, she loves the FElix Supermeat, but it does tend to go through her), as apart from her tummy feeling a bit bumpy (she hates it being touched), you wouldnt think she was so ill, Mabel had the same cancer and looked a lot worse, and only had weeks after diagnosis.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2010, 08:21:40 AM »
I hope that Sam's mouth is improving  :) (he has such a lovely face, all lovely photos)

It's good to hear Molly has a good appetite and hope her tum settles.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »
Thanks Jane. Tried wetting his biscuits last night and he wasn't overly keen, most went over night though. He much preferred the dry ones I put down this morning!! His face doesn't look as swollen to me this morning, so fingers crossed that is a positive sign and it will look even better when he sees the vet tomorrow, and the vet might think it is just a flare up of his calici (as his eyes have been a bit runnier than normal too). He hates me putting the Metacam straight down his throat though, and Zia is struggling more than normal with it as well. Molly's tum has been a bit upset overnight, so she is on some LactoB this morning, but she is demanding food more than ever, although doesn't look to be gaining any weight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #238 on: April 28, 2010, 16:02:06 PM »
Lovely photos of Desley's 3  :Luv:  :Luv: :Luv:
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 16:02:43 PM by Janeyk »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #237 on: April 28, 2010, 09:21:29 AM »
Poor Sam, hope the vet's wrong about the possible tumour diagnosis.  :hug: to you, Desley.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #236 on: April 28, 2010, 08:31:46 AM »
You could try, one of our ferals will just about only eat biscuits but she also loves them wet if it's rained and they get damp and I've not had chance to shelter the dish.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #235 on: April 28, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Never tried wetting his biscuits, he can't crunch anything as he has no teeth, but still enjoys them, so will leave them as they are I think.

That's what I thought Jane, so will take Zi to him rather than the nice owner when she has to go back in 3 months.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #234 on: April 28, 2010, 08:27:16 AM »
If he likes biscuits so much would he eat them moistened or do you think it's the crunch he goes for?

The vet sounds good if he explains things well and maybe the friendliness will come in time once he gets to know you.

Yep send the photo through any time  :)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #233 on: April 28, 2010, 08:15:07 AM »
HE is, you wouldnt think he would be able to eat at all looking at the state of his mouth, but he doesn't let it stop him much - vet said to give him softer things to eat, Sam sulks if he doesn't get his biscuits - when he came into the neighbours house he ignored the bowls of wet food and went straight for the biscuits!! Think its very interesting that 4 different people have looked in his mouth this year, 2 thought tumour, 2 didn't (although when the locum looked in Jan, it might not have been as bad).

New vet seems OK - goes into a lot of detail, and told me things I didn't know, like meds normally give hyper-t cats 3 years before the drug starts to affect their organs (apparently they are hard on the liver), but I would say he was more technical than warm, if you know what I mean? He was very thorough though, and happy to explain things, so will use him for a while, and see how he goes.

Will e-mail the pic at lunch
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2010, 08:08:35 AM »
Just posted and lost post!!

Poor Sam  :( he does seem quite resilient though bless him.  I do hope that the jab helps lots and can understand what you mean about the abs - it does make you wonder.

Yep fine to email the photo Desley  :)

eta: Forgot to ask - what did you think to the new vet?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:09:48 AM by Janeyk »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2010, 08:02:01 AM »
Well, not the best vet visit, as I suspected it doesn't seem like an abscess. The vet thinks it is suspicious and has mentioned the word I tried not to let into my head - tumour. We have been here before though, so hopefully this vet is wrong on that score, and he just has a lot of inflammation that is confusing the diagnosis - we wont know for certain without a biopsy, and it isn't something I am willing to put him through. There is a chance it is just sort of scar tissue from his ulcers, he has been given a Convenia jab to deal with any infection, and I have to give him Metacam for the next few days, and we are going back on Friday. His weight is pretty much the same, although he has been eating more, so am not happy about that. What I am annoyed about is that he was only at the vets two weeks ago, and I asked about ab's and got told they weren't necessary - if this is just a severe infection, I wonder if it would have happened if I had given them to him after that? It doesn't affect his eating, which is good, but the vet was also concerned his tongue was being pushed to the side, I am hoping that is just cos he was struggling.

He came home, sat in the neighbours with me for a while, had some tea, and then got into a fight and came home with a bloody mouth - rather than let me clean it, he finished off his tea!! He was rather quiet and dopey last night, but hoping that is just the ab's.

Jane, could I e-mail you a pic of his face to show where it is swollen?
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #230 on: April 27, 2010, 19:55:44 PM »
Hope all went well at the vets - great news that you'll have a shorter journey!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #229 on: April 27, 2010, 08:36:24 AM »
Poor Sam! best of luck with the vet visit tonight and hope that you like the new vet.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #228 on: April 27, 2010, 08:05:40 AM »
Got home last night and Sam's mouth was swollen on his bad side, so got him in at the vets at 5 tonight - he had been drooling a lot on that side of his mouth at the weekend, but I opened his mouth enough to check it wasn't smelly and there was no sign of it being swollen on Sun. It doesn't look like an abscess though, but he has stopped drooling, so I am wondering if he has a blocked saliva gland. This will be the first time I get to meet the new vet, so fingers crossed he is OK, and we can start doing a 3 min journey rather than a 20 min journey.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »
 :) glad to hear that all is well x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2010, 11:44:17 AM »
Thanks everyone - gave Molly smaller rations for 24 hours, and not seen anymore sick, so it is looking promising - she is back on full rations now, so hopefully will continue.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #225 on: April 24, 2010, 20:47:10 PM »
Tons of vibes of their way xx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #224 on: April 24, 2010, 19:44:22 PM »
Sending all the positive healing vibes I can muster Des....hope this is just a blip!  :hug:

And so say Blip and I  :hug:  let us know, desley.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #223 on: April 24, 2010, 13:31:27 PM »
Sending all the positive healing vibes I can muster Des....hope this is just a blip!  :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #222 on: April 24, 2010, 00:13:42 AM »
Lots of vibes from us here for them all to get better and hoping it was just a bit of a blip.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #221 on: April 23, 2010, 23:39:10 PM »
Hope it is just a one off as you say - its good that they are still eating though  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2010, 08:11:55 AM »
Can I have some good vibes for the girls please, both have been sick overnight. Doesn't seem to have affected their appetite much though, and Zi's even eaten some renal wet. Am praying it is just a one off for both of them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2010, 09:37:07 AM »
That's good  :)

I don't think I've ever seen Feline Fayre cat food, who sells it?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:37:31 AM by Janeyk »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2010, 08:32:16 AM »
Well, after her turning her nose up at 3 different kinds of wet food, I bought her some Feline Fayre tuna and salmon, and she ate 3/4 pouch (might have eaten the rest if I had let her) - unfortunately it isn't complete, so she can't have it all the time, but good to know that she is still enjoying fishy foods (even if the phosphorus level prob isn't great). She has eaten some AGAIL too, so a lot happier about her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2010, 08:03:47 AM »
Glad that things aren't too bad and they are eating well, I think if Zia will only eat the adult dry with the wet then maybe that's what you'll have to do if she's so thin.  Byron is the same and I just have to give her what she'll eat, although luckily she hasn't got any health issues, that we know of.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2010, 11:07:30 AM »
Thanks, it means a lot. I have managed to get Zia to eat some biscuits, so a bit happier, but still not 100% happy with her. I find it odd she is suddenly spending time in the cat room, she has never bothered with going in there.
Please spay your cat

Offline puggy1975 Zoe

• Hero Cat
  • Tyler and Ollie
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2010, 10:57:53 AM »
Good luck with the weight gain.

I have so much respect for you as you are are having such hard time with all 3 being poorly and doing such a fantastic job looking after them

Lots of hugs and vibes

Zoe Ollie and Tyler
Zoe, Ollie and Tyler

Link to CatChat