Author Topic: Purina  (Read 8039 times)

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
Re: Purina
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 10:08:48 AM »
Oh now she's decided she'll EXACTLY the same bag that she's turned her nose up at for weeks.

I give up!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 13:39:56 PM »
Have you checked the date to see if its old stock?

I have changed to Purina Pro Plan now and the two big cats were finishing of the Purina one but like the other better sigh..............still have 3 very large bags of Purina one from my bulk buying last year.

Offline dizziblonde

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
My be a really random question - but does anyone know if they've fiddled with the formula of Purina One recently? Have fed the tripod on it for years with no problems, opened a new bag of it recently and she ain't having any of it anymore! Now this could be feline psychological warfare - but I'm just wondering if there's been some change in it or something to spark Madam Pickyknickers' total rejection of it all of a sudden - was worried she was ill but...

Have had to switch her back to pouches of Tesco own brand (ie what she'd always be fed on given HER way so after 7 years of having it my way, the lil git's won in the end) which she'll eat about 1 1/2 of over the course of the day (but she's never ever been a big eater anyway - only cat I know who would sneer and walk away from a turkey left unattended, smoked salmon, tuna... the lot).

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 08:17:25 AM »
I wonder if it is worth trying this again. It has a higher meat content (24%) than Purina or Proplan, although it is chicken rather than turkey.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/perfect_fit/41211#composition
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27:45 AM »
[From what I read, it shouldn't be supplemented. I suppose it is like a lot of things, too much is as bad (or worse) than not enough. There was a lot of info about various things it does. Apparently it is a vasodilator so can improve blood flow - might be good for elderly cats but can lower blood pressure - so not good if a cat already has low pressure. There were lots of other things mentioned.

Well, no, I supposed in an ideal world it wouldnt need to be supplemented if cat foods were up to the job and not over processed, but they are and likely most of the arginine (and most other important nutrients  :evillaugh: )  are gone. Its important in the binding of ammonia broken down from protein. But I don't know why they would add it to one and not the other  :-:

And I doubt it is an answer customer services could provide  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 19:47:02 PM »
[From what I read, it shouldn't be supplemented. I suppose it is like a lot of things, too much is as bad (or worse) than not enough. There was a lot of info about various things it does. Apparently it is a vasodilator so can improve blood flow - might be good for elderly cats but can lower blood pressure - so not good if a cat already has low pressure. There were lots of other things mentioned.

Well, no, I supposed in an ideal world it wouldnt need to be supplemented if cat foods were up to the job and not over processed, but they are and likely most of the arginine (and most other important nutrients  :evillaugh: )  are gone. Its important in the binding of ammonia broken down from protein. But I don't know why they would add it to one and not the other  :-:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 14:55:21 PM »
Arginine is one of the essentials for cats - like Taurine.  :)

I wonder why they add it to pro-plan but not purina one?  :-:

From what I read, it shouldn't be supplemented. I suppose it is like a lot of things, too much is as bad (or worse) than not enough. There was a lot of info about various things it does. Apparently it is a vasodilator so can improve blood flow - might be good for elderly cats but can lower blood pressure - so not good if a cat already has low pressure. There were lots of other things mentioned.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 14:48:05 PM »
Pro-plan has L-Arginine which is an aa that seems to have lots of pros & cons - ie contraindicated for people (cats as well?) with diabetes or taking ACE inhibitors or NSAIDS

Arginine is one of the essentials for cats - like Taurine.  :)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 14:42:35 PM »
I will have to order some for Al  :)

I checked a bag of Purina One natural balance 'with oats' and it does contain wheat gluten  :tired: (I suppose I could have checked online but budgens sell it)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2010, 13:12:01 PM »
Talking of purina - purina fortiflora supplement is very good imo.  I got a free sample at the supreme cat show (a box of 30 sachets) and have been giving it to Mosi whose poos keep reverting to the loose ones he had a few months ago when he was poorly, and it has worked wonders.  Plus Jaffa had a bit of an upset stomach last week - he did a runny poo in the tray and then was sick - so I gave him some and he was back to solid poos within 24 hours.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2010, 07:41:32 AM »
It is quite bewildering  :Crazy:

So Proplan is more expensive than Purina one one zooplus BUT you can get a 3kg bag of Proplan for £15 from online pharmacy sites.

Pro-plan has L-Arginine which is an aa that seems to have lots of pros & cons - ie contraindicated for people (cats as well?) with diabetes or taking ACE inhibitors or NSAIDS

I suppose the bottom line is which food they will eat. I wish the meat content was higher 16/18% is hardly high meat content.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2010, 00:23:41 AM »
I've fed mine hi life for years due to Bourneville's tummy problems and have never had a problem with it :) Dry food wise, he has always been ok on jwb and more recently pah purely

Riley has always been able to eat anything with no probs but vet thinks he has developed a food intolerance. It was the vet that recommended JWB (which they both ate for a month or so as kittens before switching to PAH premium dry) as it's hypoallergenic, anyway I bought a bag of duck JWB which they LOVED but unfortunately it gave him incontrollable, ie outside of the litter tray!, diarrhoea and Lu was a bit 'loose' with it too  :sick:

I'm pretty sure Proplan delicate must be pretty similar.

Had a quick google and they look very similar to me, I wonder why one company would have two different Purina brands that are nearly identical  :doh:

Purina One sensitive - Turkey (16%), rice (15%), maize gluten meal, dehydrated turkey protein, maize, animal fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), rice gluten meal, yeasts, chicory root (0.5% min), liver digest, beet pulp, fish oil, potassium chloride, choline chloride, L-lysine, sodium chloride, DL Methionine, minerals.

Purina ProPlan delicate
- Turkey (18%), rice (18%), maize gluten meal, dehydrated turkey protein, rice gluten meal, maize, animal fat (protected by mixed tocopherols), dried whole egg, digest, beet pulp, fish oil, yeast, potassium chloride, calcium carbonate, minerals, choline chloride, L-arginine, L-lysine, sodium chloride, DL-methionine.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 23:24:50 PM »
I just looked on the Purina One website and seems it's only available in 300g bags 

Although you can get 800g bags from Zooplus for £3.69 http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/dry_cat_food/purina_one/purina_one_adult/195934#composition.

Don't forget the 5% off code  :shify:

The 300g bags are 20% of in Sainsbury's atm so about £1.74 (I think)

I'm pretty sure Proplan delicate must be pretty similar.

The only thing I don't like about purina one sensitive is the kibble shape - it is like an X - not ideal fro cats that swallow kibble whole. The shape of the senior kibble is better.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 23:29:26 PM by Mark »

Offline Steff - Petsearch Bedford HQ

• Hero Cat
  • Mummy to Six!!
    • Petsearch Bedford - Facebook Group
  • Slave to: Bourneville, Marble, Soap, Tyson, TT and Esco (the Staffie)
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 23:18:02 PM »
I've fed mine hi life for years due to Bourneville's tummy problems and have never had a problem with it :) Dry food wise, he has always been ok on jwb and more recently pah purely
Stephanie Novell
Lost & Found Coordinator
Petsearch UK - Bedford HQ

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 16:31:43 PM »
I've also found a commercial wet food that might be good for sensitive tums - Hi-Life 60% real meat. It's one of the few non-veterinary foods that has single source meat ie just turkey and chicken with no other meat or meat derivatives.

I used to give mine that, but they changed the recipe and they didnt like it as much - PAH purely pouches are similar (I'm sure its made by the same factory), but they include different meats.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 12:25:36 PM »
I just looked on the Purina One website and seems it's only available in 300g bags  :-: The other flavours say 300g, 800g and 3kg.

http://www.purinaone.co.uk/Products/Sensitive.aspx?5/Dry

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »
Is Alice OK poo-wise on the Purina One sensitive?

Yes - and just as importantly, she loves it. I know it contains corn, but I'm sure it is wheat that upsets her tum. She does have the odd runny poo but possibly down to the tinned salmon. No blood (or mucous) in poo since I strictly cut wheat out of her diet though  :)

Hopefully she will like Pro Plan delicate as much. 300g (or is it 400g?) bags don't go very far - at least Proplan comes in 3kg bags. They are around £15 from VetUK etc (RRP £18.49) Also PAH have proplan on offer now & then.

I also want to check the ingredients of  purina one Naturals or whatever it is called. It says Oats on the bag but I want to make sure it doesn't also contain wheat. I was trying to order some Eagle Pack but Postal Pet Products have stopped selling it.

I'm a bit concerned about feeding senior cats hi-life as it is quite high in Phosphorus.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:18:12 PM by Mark »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 11:41:37 AM »
Is Alice OK poo-wise on the Purina One sensitive? If so I think I'm going to try the boys on this, it seems the vet was right and Riley has developed some sort of intolerance to everything he has eaten for nearly 4 years! He's fine on RC sensitivity pouches (although they are eye-wateringly expensive and he eats at least 3 a day!) but I tried him back on their dry food and he was fine for 6 days then had diarrhoea again. As soon as I took the dry away his poos went back to normal. Lu is still eating Bozita and PAh dry with no issues so I know there's nothing wrong with the food itself.

I've also found a commercial wet food that might be good for sensitive tums - Hi-Life 60% real meat. It's one of the few non-veterinary foods that has single source meat ie just turkey and chicken with no other meat or meat derivatives. I'm waiting until I'm off work for a week so I can monitor what effect it has on him. They also do a Tuna with Alaskan salmon one too, again no other meat or meat derivatives.

Turkey & Chicken (in variable proportions, min.60%), Sunflower Oil, Vitamin & Mineral supplements, Tapioca, Fish Oil, Seaweed Extract, Chicory Extract,,Green Tea Extract.

Dolphin-friendly Tuna (min. 55%), Alaskan Salmon (min. 5%), Sunflower Oil, Fish Oil, Vitamin and Mineral supplements, Tapioca, Fish oil, Seaweed Extract ,Chicory Extract,Green Tea Extract.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »
This old thread came up when I was googling to see if I could find bags of Purina one sensitive larger than the 300g ones I have been buying in Sainsbury's. I have found 800g bags on Zooplus but nothing larger. I think I will give Pro plan delicate a go as it comes in 3kg bags. AFAIK, Pro plan is slightly better ingredients than Purina One? - both made by Purina.

btw, I have tried RC sensitive a few times but Alice really isn't interested. I have also tried a few different grain-free ones but no luck. The latest was the meowing heads I won in the auction. She won't touch it  :tired: - even the cats that come in the garden begging for food won't eat it - it smells like brewers yeast tablets .(I have only opened the salmon one so far)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 10:20:04 AM by Mark »

Offline Philip

• Distinguished Cat
    • United Kingdom Ragdoll Cat Trust
  • Slave to: Ellie, Bertie, Christian, Saba
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 17:32:47 PM »
I get mine from pets corner. My local one is in a wyvale garden centre.

I had the same problem withe one of my ragdolls and the purina pro plan delicate sensitive works a treat.

[/img]
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h61/cheekee_munkee/All-3-together-web.jpg[/img]

RIP Maddy 02/06/2009 xxx
RIP Delphi 21/02/2011 xxx
RIP Skye xxxx

Bring love and happiness to all you do and it will be repaid tenfold.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 08:20:16 AM »
Thanks. I will look in Tesco first then if they don't stock it, ill give the customer care line a call.

Just a quick question. Because they didnt have any of the Purina sensitive, we got her Purina light. Is it ok for Holly to eat the light or will she get a bad stomach due to a food change?

Marcia, the Purina light should also be ok for her, as I said Smokey and Timmy could tolerate all the varieties of Purina One.  Try them and if she is ok that's great as it gives them a change of flavour too.  I used to buy them all, sensitive, light, adult, senior and I think they a hairball one.

I have noticed though that Tescos seem to be selling less of the varieties and more of the new one with oats in so I don't now whether they've replaced some of the varieties with that type, that wasn't out when we had Timmy so I don't know whether he would have tolerated the oat ones. 

Timmy could not tolerate the ProPlus ones though it was Purina One (any type) only otherwise he got diarrhoea again. 
If you contact Purina they should tell you what types they still do and where your nearest supplier is.

eta : the above should say ProPlan not ProPlus 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 17:42:39 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 23:08:37 PM »
wierdly, i think that Purina smells quite nice, compared with other cat foods  :evillaugh:

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 21:34:59 PM »
Mine love Purina - the hairball one is great too!

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 20:34:57 PM »
I didnt know pro plan did a sensitive variety

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 20:26:27 PM »
Also I think Pro plan has better ingredients?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 19:32:59 PM »
Purina pro plan has a sensitive version, very similar food but comes in 3kg and 7.5kg bags

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 18:51:00 PM »
No, the sensitive one is in the blue packet. It's only available in 300g bags.

We've found it on tesco online now  :)

Here's a link to what it is (just incase anyone wants to know  :evillaugh:)
http://www.purinaone.co.uk/uk/cat/

Click on Purina One products, then click on Sensitive
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 18:52:22 PM by Marcia »

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 12:33:37 PM »
Is the sensitive the one in different packaging and a slightly different name? (I can't remember what it's called) - AFAIK, it has oatmeal in. If so, they sell it in Sainsbury's

Edit - found it http://www.sainsburys.com/groceries/index.jsp?bmUID=1232800607204
It's called "Natural Balance" - it doesn't say sensitive but oatmeal and fish sounds like a sensitive diet.

I can't link direct to it but if you look at purina you will see it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:40:41 PM by Mark »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 12:29:57 PM »
Mine has Purina One and love it !!

Can't say i have seen Purina One Sensitive anywhere...sorry x

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 11:57:25 AM »
Thanks. I will look in Tesco first then if they don't stock it, ill give the customer care line a call.

Just a quick question. Because they didnt have any of the Purina sensitive, we got her Purina light. Is it ok for Holly to eat the light or will she get a bad stomach due to a food change?

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:13:10 AM »
As I've said many times on here, I think Purina One is brilliant for cats with sensitive tums.  We were advised to only feed that when we adopted 2 cats from Cat Protection as 1 in particular got diarrhoea if he ate anything other than Purina.   I still buy it now and it is easily available from my Tescos (all types including the sensitive) however, I did find that Timmy and Smokey were fine on all the other Purina One types too (there is high rice content and few nasties in them all)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:19:01 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 00:23:12 AM »
i didnt know that there was a this food.......sigh.

if you look on your box, bag, packet there should be a customer care number, ring and asl them.

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
Purina
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 22:22:01 PM »
As some of you will know. I had a huge battle trying to stop Holly from diahorrea. After so many vet visits, blood tests and meds, it turns out that she had an intolerance to the cat food we were ffeeding her on. We switched her onto Purina One Sensitive and it's worked. She now has normal poos and has done for nearly a month. And, she's put some weight back on  :)

The only problem is that the only place i can find the Purina One Sensitive is our local Morrisons. When we went to get some tonight, they only had Purina Light left so i'm not amused. Does anyone know where else sells Purina Sensitive?

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Link to CatChat