Author Topic: Pet Spas - Very Cruel!  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Pet Spas - Very Cruel!
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2007, 16:57:50 PM »
I'm sure if they are used to it they don't mind, show persians for instance must have to be bathed regularly I suppose its down to getting them used to it when young

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2007, 16:50:38 PM »
I have to admit I haven't dared look at the link! :shy: My cousin bathes her cats (she has two) and because they're small they are pretty indifferent to it!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2007, 14:14:46 PM »
No worries it produced some excellent points  :)

Actually back to the topic,  i saw a dog version of this spa on the news last night and the dogs didnt seem to mind but prob trainined to do so for the news and to sell the machine.
It really made me cringe and to think of all the cats and dogs that are going to be terrified with it.  Locked in a box where water is pored on you. Cats hate water!! They wouldn't know the box wasn't going to fill up and drown them  no wonder they try to get out :'(
Why do money grabbing people do these things and why to stupid people buy them.  I bet they will start having pet wash shops now as a launderma. That would be awful for the animals :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2007, 13:32:55 PM »
oooops I've only just seen this thread - sorry I appear to have caused trouble!!!  I was just trying to lighten things up a bit!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2007, 12:20:22 PM »
It's fine Sparkle. We all get stressed from time to time - I'm sure your apology is accepted! Glad you're feeling better today. :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2007, 11:54:44 AM »
sorry!  I was angry on Friday,

For the sake of peace and harmony I suggest that if anyone is angry perhaps it would be wise (as preciously suggested) to sit back and post perhaps the next day.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Sparkle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2007, 11:50:53 AM »
D'oh!!  Re-read this thread and realised I mistook the laughing for something else.... sorry!  I was angry on Friday, but am happier today!!!

Happy thoughts!!!!!

:-[

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2007, 12:40:02 PM »
What a terrible experience.  :scared:

I'll readily admit to being one of those people that snaps, but I generally realise a second later and apologise profusely! :shy: I've always had a terrible temper - I get it from my dad. I've mellowed as I've got older though, thankfully.

Sorry, Sparkle. This is all completely off topic!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2007, 07:57:08 AM »
;D Got to ask, Ela....how can you not?! Everyone's got something that sets them off!

Like stab your toe, do you mean? ;D, I don't need to be in a bad mood to let off steam then. I am not saying I don't get upset, but I can't say that I would be in a bad mood and snap at people. One of my life's philosophies is there are no problems only solutions.

I  appreciate certain medical problems can lead to people being in a mood and if they don't realize it themselves I am sure folks must tell them even if in a jokey way. Thankfully those things do not effect me if they did then I am sure I would not wish to upset people so I would refrain from posting at those times, I think.

I do know all about depression after being in a lift alone that went up and down so fast you would not believe and then eventually stopping at the bottom of the shaft  and all I could see was a brick wall. But that certainly did not put me in a mood and make e snap at people. Mind you I think they would have found it a little worrying, as I could not get my words out properly for a few months.

Even now after 17 years I the only place I go alone is the local shop. I see no danger due to concentration or rather lack of it, How many times my husband and friends have saved my life when crossing roads etc is unbelievable. But none of this puts me in a bad mood, I am just thankful to be alive.

Funnily enough when it comes to the cats and their care m I am fine and can remember even the tiniest detail and sometimes people will call be about a cat they adopted say 15 yrs ago and I will say oh! yes that was a ginger  cat wasn’t it. Which for me is amazing, as during that time I have dealt with many thousands,

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2007, 23:35:27 PM »
I personally don't get in moods....

Got to ask, Ela....how can you not?! Everyone's got something that sets them off! Anywhoo...I have to agree with the fact that Tan does a wonderful job and she and her partner should be very proud of their accomplishment with this site. :)

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2007, 21:39:35 PM »
Well said Ela, onwards and upwards  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 21:06:14 PM »
I know have made a few mistakes in the past year being me 1st forum and learning all the time.

We all make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. but you have as far as I can tell ever wrote anything that could hurt people.

what mood the reader is in.

I personally don't get in moods but would think that if I did I would I would rather leave it a few hours to think and contemplate about what I would post rather than go in all guns blazing. This is what I do if I have a problem with any of the fosterers or volunteers. I think sometimes thinking time sometimes makes things not seem so bad.

This forum is all about making money for rescues, making the lives of the little ones as happy as possible and advising people upon their request how best to deal with any given situation.  Really there should be no place for pettiness. Hopefully we can now move onwards and upwards and concentrate on the aims of Purrs. Hopefully the last couple of weeks have been a little hiccup.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 21:35:34 PM by Ela »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2007, 20:45:18 PM »
um, Ela, if you are quoting from my post, you appear to have misinterpreted.

No ;D

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2007, 20:38:52 PM »
um, Ela, if you are quoting from my post, you appear to have misinterpreted.  I was referring to PMS, pre-menstrual stress - them hormones wot makes you grumpy and teary, thus more sensitive. While there have been times in my life when paranoia was warranted, this is not one of them  :rofl:. Wasn't suggesting it had happened at all.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2007, 20:34:04 PM »
That all goes for me too

I can honestly say that I have have not any p.m's being sent around about you or any of your actions.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 19:35:55 PM »
We need a bit of this: :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 17:50:20 PM »
goes for all of us on the odd off day - we are, after all human, but a bit more peace and light would not go astray from time to time

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2007, 17:47:25 PM »
I know have made a few mistakes in the past year being me 1st forum and learning all the time.  :shy: I know all the staff want to work with the members as we are all friends or have the same love for animals and have the same goals to help them and the wonderful people in rescues.

That all goes for me too.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2007, 12:08:18 PM »
Thats one thing hun i have noticed that happens. If someone is tired or stressed or in a bad mood from things outside the forum it can be so easy to take the written word iof a post in the wrong way. It all depends on the way it is written and what mood the reader is in.  Must be the same on all forums?!

I think here smileys can def help show up what emotions are behind the written word. Members use them alot which is great.  :briggin: I think it must take a little while now for the more smilies link to open as there are so many in there now  :rofl:

Ya know i think i am turning into a hippy in me old age  :rofl: The phrase love and peace seems to crop up alot in me head  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  now where has that smilie gone  :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2007, 11:27:42 AM »
couldn't agree more Tan, and if we all act our age we should get along fine. Sadly we are all human beings though, so at times we get the wrong end of the stick and if tired or PMSy or whatever tend to have a short fuse. Perhaps we should all be required to count to ten before sending a post  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
Thanks Ela & BC, they are very good points and will bring into the meeting.  For me the Mods and esp Admins need to lead by example to keep Purrs a friendly, fundrasing, support site. We are sorting a few things out at the mo.

I know have made a few mistakes in the past year being me 1st forum and learning all the time.  :shy: I know all the staff want to work with the members as we are all friends or have the same love for animals and have the same goals to help them and the wonderful people in rescues.

The fun/friendly side is an important part as it helps hold us all together so the fundrasing and rescue support side can be a success which is the main reason of Purrs and always will be.  The more members, the more it is possible to raise.  ;D

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 08:33:58 AM »
I think a lot of the heat would go out of the argument, and people would presumably respond in a more reasoned way if:

Moderators considering action PM the poster and give them a chance to reconsider
People whose posts are modified/locked/whatever take it up with the moderator by PM
If the moderator is not responding or feels they were justified in their action then the matter is referred to a panel of members who are able to make a balanced decision based on the founding principles of the forum.
If the poster feels ill-done by then they have the option, as do we all, of going elsewhere.
We are all grownups but at times when I read these threads I feel I am surrounded by a group of squabbling children - sure we can conduct ourselves in a more measured and adult manner.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 07:55:32 AM »
I think the main problem is (not necessarily talking about this topic) is that one or two are acting like a headmistress and it make the peasants feel like naughty schoolchildren. When in reality most of us are sensible (well sometimes ;D) adults and we do take exception when people are being pedantic. As Linda says we have managed for almost a year now, yes there have been one or two leave because of certain postings by some and I myself have thought seriously about it a couple of times but on the whole it has been good and many lessons learnt by a lot of people, which hopefully will enhance the life of the cats. However, I think that if the 'censoring' continues more will go elsewhere and that would be a shame after all the hard work Tan has put in. Maybe we should vote mods in rather than anyone just applying. Or even have mods that Tan thinks are suitable and she asks them, I personally think there would be more pride in being asked. Also perhaps a trial period would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 16:18:39 PM by Ela »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 00:21:45 AM »
Yeah agree there Lins, it has seemed to take over the forum for a bit  but hopefully we are almost there to sort it all out to have everyone happy.

Thankfully the auction will be here soon so taking us all back to why we are really here.  :Luv:

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2007, 23:06:01 PM »
LOL Lynn.

Its a shame we are all getting a little too caught up in the 'guidelines' - we managed very well for nearly a year without them.

Staff meeting sounds like a good idea Tan  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2007, 21:04:39 PM »
Mmm yes the bikini waxing  :evillaugh:

Luckily she never mentioned "crack n sack"

:rofl:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2007, 20:59:19 PM »
Looks to me that the laughter was actually at Dawn'd mention of Human spas and not the about the actual thread topic so a bit of confusion on this one me finks.

ccmacey

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2007, 20:31:19 PM »
If I had posted the video that I saw you would definitely have wanted to keep the warning on this post. 

- laugh if you want, but I didn't it funny at all!

The first sentence I agree with, the second  :-: what does Sparkle think we all are? Why would we laugh?

Anyway if the poster thought this thread involved cruelty and thought peeps might get upset why not post it in the cruelty section thats what it was set up for.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2007, 20:06:01 PM »
Hi CC not sure where ya last post come from hun? Has someone said anything to you off board cause i cant see on this thread a personal remark to upset you?  :hug:

Re the warning symbol use, i can see how some peeps would not be sure when to use it or not . Mainly when there is a link or a pic that could possibly upset. We are having a staff meeting about this at the mo so once we are all agreed, we will pop some guidelines of when to use it.  That way you all know and all the staff know whats going on.  :Luv:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 18:41:23 PM »
Shadow had sixty fits the first time he had a bath in one of those portable dog baths (the high walled ones that use warm water) and when they blow dried him the poor boy was yawning in terror. But it seemed to me that this was better than catching double pneumonia. He got used to it and now happily climbs into the bath for his scrubdown (I don't use the hairdryer on him at home, just towel him down thoroughly and keep him in the warm until he is dry. Cats are a different matter entirely. I can not imagine a cat being willing to be squirted with water from an unidentifiable source and then have warm air pumped at them. Mine even hate the fan heater. Definitely a doggy invention that some brightspark thought could be transferred to feline use. In my experience, even cats who submit to bathing like to be held by their owner, for reassurance and so they can share the sogginess around ...

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 15:11:41 PM »
I don't think anyone on Purrs would laugh at an animal in distress Sparkle  :hug:

I think it would be one of those things like I said, that is an owners opinion - I mean some really laidback cats might not care and would just sit there, but I think most of us have cats who would want to get the hell out of there - and of course we wouldnt want to subject a nervous kitty to that  :shy:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 15:12:01 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Sparkle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 15:09:03 PM »
If I had posted the video that I saw you would definitely have wanted to keep the warning on this post.  I looked at the one someone posted below and I think they were very lucky to have a cat that was calm, but the video I saw was horrible.

I hope you don't think I'm being a bit dramatic, but I would never subject a cat to that.  If you really want to see the video I saw, then put in 'petspa' into Google and they have named it "Clean Kitty" - laugh if you want, but I didn't it funny at all!

:(

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 15:03:59 PM »
Oh Poo. I give up!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007, 15:01:19 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007, 14:56:17 PM »
Ooooh that made me wince Dawn  :shocked: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 14:53:36 PM »
I haven't looked at the link but some of the stuff that goes on in human spas is pretty cruel - think bikini waxing!

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 14:51:11 PM »
I dont see  why a warning was needed anyway? There were no vids of anything. This is all getting a bit TOO serious.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 14:42:08 PM »
After seeing that, have removed the triangle (apologies Sparkle).

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 14:41:21 PM »
actually i'd like one myself

To put the KIDS in !!!!  they have a bath together and i end up with a swimming pool for a bathroom so that would be very useful (i could also lock them in for a couple of hours restbite  :rofl:  )

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 14:37:56 PM »
Just saw it myself. Are these people serious?  :Crazy: 

Link to CatChat