Author Topic: Pet Plan NIGHTMARE  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Pet Plan NIGHTMARE
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 14:29:52 PM »
Once made and signed they couldnt easily get out of it unless they found undisclosed issues from vet files but as you phoned and declared i think your safe  ;D

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 14:23:55 PM »
Thanks for this is makes sense now when they changed their mines saying since it was a 'charity case'. They sent me documents to sign (blue forms) and on the back for each of them it says exclusions and clauses and underneath that 'There are no applicable exclusions or clauses' It valid unil 21st August so if i sign it aand send it back I guess they can't change their minds, would it be legally binding  I wonder?  :shify:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 20:25:06 PM »
Charity cover notes start from when you sign so anything not picked up by the rescue as pre existing they should cover.
Have you received your first years insurance documents yet or are you still in your free period? The T&Cs they have sent you sound like the standard ones which for your average person taking out a new policy would exclude the first 14days for illness.
When you get your official certificate check it to make sure theres no exclusions added on the back.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 17:24:08 PM »
Tricky one as most insurers do not cover illnesses diagnosed within 14 days of taking out a policy (otherwise everyone would just wait until their pet showed signs of illness and then take out cover) so I suspect the second person you spoke to may be correct.  But I don't know about the terms and conditions of charity cover - if that started less than 14 days before you took them to the vet, then I would guess anything would be excluded. 

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 16:51:54 PM »
If you got the name of the person you spoke to then I would write to them, outline the process you have gone through, and ask them to confirm or deny in writing it by a set date (say a week from receipt of your letter). Also say that if you have not heard from them by that date you will assume that the advice is correct and hold them accountable in the event they decide to back track on the advice at a later date. Make sure you send the letter recorded delivery though.  There is no point changing insurance as they will all have an exclusion for a known problem ... so you would have to change your name, address, cat's name and d.o.b. as well as your vet before you could have any hope of getting full cover elsewhere, which seems a little extreme ...  ;)

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
Pet Plan NIGHTMARE
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 16:25:03 PM »
I'm loosing all faith in Pet Plan at the moment. ARGH!!!

As I've mentioned previously I took out free pet plan insurance when I picked my two kittens izzy and bella up from the rescue centre. I then took them straight to the vet for a kitten check. While there the vet discovered that Izzy has a heart murmer she advised me that I speak to pet plan to see if Izzy would be covered for heart problems in the future. I rang them last weekend and explained the situation the lady asked her supervisor and I was told yes it wasn't a problem she would be covered if I wanted to make a claim. A few days later I received the terms and conditions through the post. In them it stated that any illnesses found within the first 14 days of cover would be excluded. Thinking this was odd after what I had just been told I rang them again today and re explained the situation. This time I was told that no it WOULDN'T be covered in the future. I questioned what I has already been told and she went back to her supervisor again. She then came back saying it WOULD ,as it was 'charity' cover I would be able to claim against the heart murmer in the future. It's great she's now told me this but frankly after the amount of yes it is no it isn't I don't believe her!!! I'm equally concerned because there's nothing in writing to prove she's said yes! It's a long shot but has anyone else been in this situation?

:censored: pet plan!

Link to CatChat