Author Topic: Big bad kitty and my little Jess  (Read 1004 times)

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
Re: Big bad kitty and my little Jess
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 18:01:09 PM »
That's good if they will just sort it out and be happy.
She can always get home, my garden is a funny shape with lot's of non-Jess-proofed areas for her to get through.
Thank you. I feel much more at ease about her going outside. She really is a happier kitty for it. Definately a wild girl at heart  :evillaugh:
Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 16:18:27 PM »
I have found cats sort it out between them and they end up knowing who is boss in the area and how far they are allowed to go.   There may be a little bit of upset at first but as long as your guy has escape routes back into your house things should be ok.    Just give your furbaby lots of hugs if they come bolting back through the cat flap.

Males have a larger territory generally and do allow a lot of females into their territory.

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 16:08:29 PM »
Thanks for your reply. I kept her inside for 2 months here and the last month she went "walks" in the back garden on a harness.

She's also visited here (indoors) periodically since she was a kitten.

I'm worried about that cat hurting her because she is so small and that other cat was so big. Would the other cat share territory if its male and she's female (neutered) ?

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 18:09:04 PM »
It was probably a nasty shock for the other cat to discover Jess on its territory. They will need to sort it out between them, but if you go out when you hear a noise the other one will run off, and eventually work out a new boundary with Jess ...

I hope you kept Jess indoors for a couple of weeks after the move so she knows where she is. If she meets another cat who is between her and home she could get lost very easily unless she knows where she lives ...

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
Big bad kitty and my little Jess
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 17:50:46 PM »
Sorry it's been a while since I posted. I've been moving house and it's been mad!

Jess is 2 and has only recently been able to go outside. Previously she had to stay in because I lived in a very busy place.

It's nice and quiet here and she enjoys exploring the front and back garden. She's quite a small cat (4kg) and a bit shy (except when it comes to attacking my dog if he goes too near *her* stuff*).

I was just upstairs there and I heard my cat meowing REALLY loudly. Normally she only meows if she's demanding food.

There was a big cat on the pavement lying flat with its ears back. Jess was lying on the edge of my grass flat with her ears back and meowing.

I ran out and the other cat ran off.

What happened? Were they making friends? Were they competing over my garden? (I've seen that cat walk along my wall in the past). What do I do next time? Is Jess safe? Argh! She's 2 but she's still my little kitten  :Luv2:

When the other cat bolted, Jess meowed at me and I grabbed her and ran inside.

Link to CatChat