Author Topic: Kitten starts peeing randomly in the house  (Read 3350 times)

Offline exm

• Adult Cat
  • Josie - R.I.P. "Joos" (November 9th, 2006)
Re: Kitten starts peeing randomly in the house
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 16:39:15 PM »
Congrats to your nutless kitty   :P

Maybe he's just getting caught short whilst playing. Did you tell the vet when you took him in?

Yes, I did. He asked me about the color of the urine and if I noticed Sammy having any discomfort while peeing. The color of the urine is normal and no discomfort.

He advised me to observe Sammy's behavior for a couple of weeks and come back if he still has problems. According to him, an infection usually means a lot of random peeing and not once in a while.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 15:56:43 PM »
Congrats to your nutless kitty   :P

Maybe he's just getting caught short whilst playing. Did you tell the vet when you took him in?

Offline exm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 14:39:53 PM »
I'm just puzzled by the fact that this JUST started;

Have you just decorated, had a baby in the house, moved furniture? However, again I must say a vet visit is the first essential step to ensure there are no underlying problems.

No I haven't (baby, furniture).

I just had Sammy neutered yesterday. Hopefully that will do the trick.

It is still puzzling to me. He is using the litterbox 99%, but then sometimes he just pees at random places (about once a week).

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 07:46:33 AM »
I'm just puzzled by the fact that this JUST started;

Have you just decorated, had a baby in the house, moved furniture? However, again I must say a vet visit is the first essential step to ensure there are no underlying problems.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline exm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 22:33:02 PM »
Hi Mark,

I'm just wondering whether your boy's litter tray isn't big enough... Pearl likes a nice big, high-sided tray with lots of litter to scrap about in. What about a covered tray perhaps, or some experimentation with the depth of the litter in the tray?

Hi Witty,

Thanks for the reply!

I have two litter boxes setup: one really big one that I recently purchased (after all, Ragdolls grow large) and one that used to belong my old cat Josie. The big one is upstairs, the small one downstairs.

Another possibility is that your little rascal doesn't like using a tray that's already been piddled or pooped in, so it might be worth providing him with a second tray and scooping as he goes.

So I do have two litter boxes; I will clean it more frequently. That might be an opening. I currently clean it daily or onces every other day but I'll try to make it twice a day.

Lastly, he might not think too highly of the litter that you are providing for him. Are you using the same litter as the breeder, or have you switched brands entirely?

Hope this gives you a few ideas to go on.

Witty.

The breeder used the cheapest litter possible, I think. I switch him almost immediately to the corn based 'World's Best Cat Litter' (mainly to prevent him from getting clumps of clay in his stomach). He has been using this for 3-4 weeks, no problem.

I'm just puzzled by the fact that this JUST started; it would be easier to explain if he had this behavior from day 1.

Thanks!

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 22:08:30 PM »
Hi Mark,

I'm just wondering whether your boy's litter tray isn't big enough... Pearl likes a nice big, high-sided tray with lots of litter to scrap about in. What about a covered tray perhaps, or some experimentation with the depth of the litter in the tray?

Another possibility is that your little rascal doesn't like using a tray that's already been piddled or pooped in, so it might be worth providing him with a second tray and scooping as he goes.

Lastly, he might not think too highly of the litter that you are providing for him. Are you using the same litter as the breeder, or have you switched brands entirely?

Hope this gives you a few ideas to go on.

Witty.

Offline exm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 17:28:59 PM »
Does he wiggle his bum/tail when he wees out of the litter box?

I haven't noticed that, no. But he might. I will pay attention to that.

What I did notice is that he's not very good in covering: he does whatever he needs to do in the litter box and then scratches the plastic sides of the litter box, trying to cover. Eventually he seems to be giving up. This doesn't really concern me, it's just odd.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 17:23:13 PM »
Some forward-thinking vets do neuters as early as 8 weeks; it's a tiny operation, whatever age it is done it does not affect his development in any other way - so no, not really too young, although it is younger than the 'conventional' age of 6 months.

Does he wiggle his bum/tail when he wees out of the litter box?
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline exm

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 17:20:44 PM »
Hi seems like your kitten is due to be neutered, my kitten started weeing anywhere in the house, i had him neutered and all was fine after that. Take him to the vets and they will tell you if he's ready to be done.  :)

Isn't 15 weeks too young to be neutered?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 17:21:00 PM by exm »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 17:04:36 PM »
I think you need to take him to the vets to ensure all is well. If so come back and we can advise what you can try.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 16:58:41 PM »
Hi seems like your kitten is due to be neutered, my kitten started weeing anywhere in the house, i had him neutered and all was fine after that. Take him to the vets and they will tell you if he's ready to be done.  :)

Offline exm

• Adult Cat
Kitten starts peeing randomly in the house
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 16:53:35 PM »
Hi All!!

My Ragdoll kitten Sammy (15 weeks old) has been using the litter box since I got him 4 weeks ago, but the last week he is also peeing randomly throughout the house (but mostly on hard surfaces). His pee seems to be clear and he doesn’t seem to be uncomfortable peeing (usually signs of an infection). Any thoughts why he’s doing this and how to stop it (obviously, when we catch him, we put him in the litter box and we try to block areas where he peed before). He still is also using the litter box btw...

Besides that: he’s doing great and growing fast!!!

Mark

Link to CatChat