Author Topic: cat flap training  (Read 2554 times)

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
Re: cat flap training
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 13:17:30 PM »
Is it a see-through flap? My boys started off years ago with a cheap £10 one that you couldn't see through and they hated it cos, especially in a multicat or cat/dog household, you never know what's on the other side. When I swapped it for a transparent one they were a lot happier - and now that they've got one for big cats they're even happier (although Sammy still has panic attacks and sits there 'boxing' it :rofl:)

'Course, the disadvantage of a see-through one is that you can see what's on the other side - Charley sometimes ambushes one of the boys as they're about to come in and whacks the flap so it hits them in the face. Which is one of many reasons why we also call her 'thug' - another being her tendency to shout what sounds suspiciously like 'haayaa!' just before she bounces one of the boys...

While we're on the subject, can anyone recommend a cat flap that has a good strong magnet? Our back door faces south-east and when it's windy outside the cat flap is pretty much permanently open at a 45 degree angle...brrrr...
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline under the paw

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 09:35:35 AM »
Happily it looks like the little feral is starting to believe she will be let in and out when she asks, so has started coming in in the morning when called  - its not solving the cat flap problem, but it's saving me from worrying too much.  Bit of a break through on her trust as well, last night she actually got the string herself and insisted on playing so it looks like I've been elevated to chief cat toy.  You never know, in a few years I may even be tolerated.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 08:55:27 AM »
Snap Gill!  We also built a little wooden box outside the catflap as a step up for the boys years ago which is still there. Grubby but doing the trick!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 22:01:59 PM »
My sorta semi feral Sasa will only use the flap if I am not around and it takes her a couple of goes to get out. But as she is scared of people she will not come in or out if I am near or there is an unknown person in the house.

I also have had to build the step up out side cos she has quite short legs so this was making iit too hard to get in. I tried putting a step up inside cos she has a prob but then used to go round the side of that.......silly Sasa!!

I thought last year she could not use the flap by herself and maybe followed Misa in and out but discovered when she broke through the flap when I tried to keep her in at night, that she could go both ways!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 10:40:12 AM »
learn it eventually -

Tasmin was in care for 5 years until she found a home, she was in my largest outdoor pen 15'  x  6' or 7' she had a sun bed and everything she needed for a comfortable life. Attached to the end were her sleeping quarters, access in the day by door open however at night to make it more comfy I liked to close the door and for Tasmin to use the cat flap, she never did learn the art and I always had to prop it open with a brick.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline under the paw

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 10:18:59 AM »
Hi Rosella, seems to be agreement on just let them learn it eventually - would love to use the tom to train the other two, unfortunately the smallest queen believes it her mission in life to beat him up so his main reaction to seeeing her near the cat flap is to stay firmly on the other side where it's safe.  Shame, I was hoping for a quick cure, almost a pity they don't make "star-trek" style cat flaps isn't it.

Thanks to you both for your replies

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 23:25:23 PM »
Just like to echo what Claire has said. With ours it was only a matter of time altho have to say we almost gave up hope of Freddie being able to get back IN after he got out (sorry bit dim) but even he managed it. 

I think you may have hit the nail on the head when you said "The problem with the feral one is she has to be desparate to ask to be in or out as she's still very worried about attracting human attention".  You trying to engage her with the catflap may well putting her off it.

She sounds a little like our Billy. I don't know how we resisted trying to handle him as he's the cutest ever.. but we did and are now reaping the benefits of a little fella who loves being stroked (on his terms of course).

I think the only "person" to teach the girls is perhaps the boy. What about having a game with HIM encouraging him in and out with treats (whilst the ladies watch of course). Just a thought. Otherwise I really would ignore the girls use of catflap altogether. You'll see. One day they will "just do it for themselves"

Offline Claire Hirsch

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 14:06:26 PM »
Your feral one sounds very like mine- who's been almost entirely tamed by use of string! (Uninterested in food). I used to live in an area with foxes in the back gardens and my otherwise fearless previous cat was chased by a fox clearly intent on attack (I'd never seen the cat move so fast...). So I wouldn't feel comfortable either leaving a cat out all day with foxes about.
You may be surprised though. If your cat finds the flap is the only way back in, and if the others show her the way, she may return through it of her own accord one day if rain or circumstances prompt her.
Also, when my cat did finally decide to use the flap she did so "secretly"- without me hovering. Sometimes cats who're not used to humans do seem to like to keep things to themselves...
Anyway it sounds like you've made amazing progress with these cats. Being able to call a cat in is a very advanced sign of attachment I'd say!

Offline under the paw

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 12:30:44 PM »
Hi Claire,  thanks for the support - litter trays are available as we've always had cats of a delicate sensibility (why go out in the rain when there's an indoor loo...) and the little queen does ask to go out.  The problem with the feral one is she has to be desparate to ask to be in or out as she's still very worried about attracting human attention (unless there's a string involved to attack).  We're having some success at letting her in and out at regular times and she now does generally respond to being called in.  My main worry is we have some new foxes in the area and I've seen one neighbours cat attacked recently - the cat did manage to get away and was apparently shaken, but otherwise fine -  and she can end up being out all day while I'm at work.

As you say, taping the flap up is not an option in the colder months and I can't see her trusting me to hold her (or even come that close) for a while yet.  Still, on a positive note at least she's stopped growling at me and does seem to have decided the flat is home.

Offline Claire Hirsch

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 11:55:49 AM »
I went through this last year. Ended up on all fours demonstrating cat flap with my own head (which was obviously too big to fit through hole) with cat looking on in bemusement.

I had the flap taped open for a while in the summer (i.e. flap open to inside and tape attached to flap and to door above flap so flap constantly at 90 degrees to door). This was apparently acceptable but I did become a bit worried about the prospect of constantly open cat flap in winter...

Not sure quite how or why the penny dropped, but it did eventually. So now we have a fully-functioning flap household. (Though of course if there's a human about they must open the back door instead).

Do your cats that are unwilling to use the cat flap ask to be let in and out by other means? Or are they just not very interested in going out? If the latter, as long as you have plenty of litter trays (which you should have anyway, obviously, even if they do all go out), and indoor amusement available, they should be okay indoors for winter and perhaps you can try again with flap training in the spring...

Offline under the paw

• Kitten
cat flap training
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:26:56 AM »
Hi, finally took the plunge to join as I was hoping for some ideas on helping our cats use the cat flap (and also grabbed by all the great cat photos) - brief overview is we have three new cats jointly owning us for the past 8-9 month, all about 4/5 from the Mayhew.  The tom,  gleefully uses the cat flap, the two queens have difficulties to say the least. My real worry is one of the queens who is, according to our vet, probably a feral as her ear has the clipped look of the true ruffian and is definitely a hands-off cat. 

During the warmer months, we got round the problem by leaving the cat flap off and they all happily trotted in and out.  Once the cat flap was back in place, the queens couldn't work it out.  Inspired, I taped a small piece of clear plastic loosely over the hole thinking it may be the weight of the cat flap causing a problem.  Feral coped with the plastic, other queen still flummoxed, cat flap put back on, colditz ensued. 

To date I have:
- tried gently introducing the two queens to the cat flap, showing them it opening/closing, gently trying to put them through the cat flap from both sides, net result was minor lacerations and a missing cat for a few hours (and a truely impressive sulk that lasted the week)
- propping cat flap open, didn't work, even the tom objected to this one
- providing treats on the other side of the cat flap and generally treating the neighbours to a high pitched serenade to the queens along the lines of "whose clever, come on then etc. etc. etc."

At the moment, all I can think of is trying again next year when hopefully the feral doesn't still consider me the spawn of satan (I'm now allowed in the same room).  The other queen I'm leaving well enough alone - she's a lovely little thing, but entirely clueless and quite happy to stay in or out and wait for her servants to open the door - but the feral(ish) one I'd like to have access to the open air more easily (and come in at night without me having to get up).  Any suggestions on what might help?

Link to CatChat