Author Topic: Maddi is due to be neutered  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
Re: Maddi is due to be neutered
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 18:05:44 PM »
Just to let you know that Maddi had her wee op on Friday and fortunately she is coping pretty well, although a couple of times we have caught her pulling at her stitches.  Because she is long haired, her shaved patch looks awful - here's hoping it grows in quickly!

The only sad thing was that Mia treated her as a stranger when she came home & growled and hissed at her.  Took two days before she stopped & she has yet to cuddle up to her as normal.  I guess Maddi must have just smelled different when she came back & Mia didn't recognise her.  Hopefully they will be best friends again soon.

Also discovered that female cats get 'spayed' & not 'neutured' as my vet kept refering to Maddi as a 'he' when I phoned to follow up on my kitten's neutering  :-[

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 12:37:22 PM »
I'm sure she'll be fine and back to being her normal self later tonight or tomorrow morning

People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 12:33:35 PM »
Cool - thanks for the feedback.  Hate the thought of the collar, it used to drive Chico (our previous Furbaby) mad when she had to wear one for an ear infection.  Read another thread which mentioned horrible tasting drops which can be put on the skin to stop them trying to bite their stitches.  I might ask about that.  Well here goes, better make the appointment now!  :(

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 09:53:15 AM »
My little girls were both done about 6 weeks ago now - they were both absolutely fine with no side affects apart from little Jet still being a little wobbley on her feet and having huge eyes hehe.  The only problem was trying to get them to leave the stiches alone to start with.........tried the collar - laughed ourselves silly watching Cruz go backwards for 10 mins before rushing round the house in a panic!!!  Anyway she got the thing off (don't think mummy did it tight enough  :shy: ) but after a few days they left them alone anyway.  The other thing was trying to stop them from play fighting - no chance. Went back to the vets 10days later to have the stiches out.........mind you they had to have a mild sedative and the vet didn't want to cause them anymore stress (cruz kept hissing on the consult) the naughty girl.  When they came home they were very hyper - then my hubby told me they were given an anti-sedative to bring them round - you can imagine the chaos!!!   :Crazy:

Your little girl will be fine..

People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 22:32:34 PM »
Aww, they will both be fine. I dont tend to worry much when my fosters are being spayed - but that could just be cos my own cats have had more worrying ops!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 19:11:17 PM »
Rhona I know exactly how you are feeling ..Rossi is going in tomorrow for her op and although I trust my vet implicitly I'm still slightly nervous .... I think I'm just being a frantic Mum and it's nearly 6 years since I had Foxy spayed.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2006, 13:49:57 PM »
I agree nothing to worry about a very  routine op, usually cats come home the same day and very often are running around within minutes of getting home
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2006, 13:16:04 PM »
dont worry, she's in much safer hands now than your cat was 19 years ago !!! and she will be in much less pain.

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
Maddi is due to be neutered
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 13:00:42 PM »
Hello again,

Maddi will be 6 months old next week & that is the age our Vet suggested she be neutered.  For some strange reason I am a bit worried about it.  My previous Furbaby was neutered, but as that was 19 years ago, I can't remember a thing about it.

It is a very straightforward Op?  I take it she will be knocked out, shaved & operated on?  How long does it last?  Does she get home the same day?  Will she be groggy?  What is the recovery time?  Any known complications?  Do I need to keep her & Mia separate for a while?

Sorry about all the questions, just trying to make sure I understand what she will be going through & how she is likely to be afterwards!

Thanking you in advance for your feedback.              :thanks:

Link to CatChat