Author Topic: Poor Proot may have liver problems  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Iluvcritters

• Adult Cat
Re: Poor Proot may have liver problems
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 02:54:54 AM »
good to hear! still sending prayers

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 21:42:04 PM »
I am glad his kidneys are fine, I only asked because thyroid probs can mask kidney probs, and I am sure kidney probs can be linked with anaemia. I am glad he is eating more, fingers crossed it is just one of those things and he quickly bounces back.
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 13:37:45 PM »
Thanks, I'll ask the vet about food recommendations - they had said that anaemia couldn't be helped with diet but yes it might help his liver.
They ran the full range of tests, kidneys are fine and his other cell counts are good.
He's eating much more than when I first posted this topic which is indeed the main thing.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 08:34:13 AM »
Fingers crossed for him - were the blood tests for everything, or did they just check liver and thryoid levels? It might be worth asking the vet if there are any prescription diets you could gradually introduce into his diet, which may reduce the work his organs have to do to process his food - but he does sound to be eating a reasonable amount, which is the most important thing.
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2007, 19:55:33 PM »
thanks to you he has a new lease of life  ;D
I really hope so!
He's *really* purring now with all the flattery  :Luv:
He didn't look so good in November, which is when I finally decided I didn't care what the neighbours said or did and took him to the vet.
That pic was taken 2 weeks ago - as I said he was doing really well up until then. He's a bit thinner now (his back end has suffered most and that's not in the pic) but his coat always seems to stay in excellent condition.
He sometimes helps me to type by sitting in front of the keyboard - I don't think I could cope with two helping me!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2007, 19:41:23 PM »
Wow, he looks fantastic.  Knowing his background ie nasty neighbours kicking him out for being 'senile', being hyperthyroid and now possible liver problems added to the fact that he is an old man I expected him to look a little scruffy and 'weathered' but he looks amazing!  If I had to put an age on him from that photo I'd have said around 5, all thanks to you he has a new lease of life  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2007, 19:37:35 PM »
AHHHHHH he's lovely  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Just reread my last post and noticed all the spelling mistakes .... I've not been on the wine (yet) but I do have Rossi sitting on my knee and "helping" me to type and Zephyr sitting on my shoulder purring away and distracting me!   Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it!  :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 19:48:53 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 19:00:02 PM »
 :thanks:

Proot is sending a big purr - we'll let you know how it goes.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 18:45:01 PM »
So leased Proot is feelilng a bit better ...fingers crossed he was just feelilng a bit under the weather and is now on the mend  :Luv:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 18:42:19 PM »
The Proot has been eating almost normally today, and he's much more perky so fingers crossed things are looking up.

Great news about The Proot (and about your sleeping). Keep us posted, Baggy...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 18:22:14 PM »
I did sleep *much* better last night!  The Proot has been eating almost normally today, and he's much more perky so fingers crossed things are looking up.

His liver function is being tested again in a week.  He's had so much blood taken recently I'm not surprised he's anaemic.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 17:44:10 PM »
What I'm trying to say is that by sharing information on here, we can spread knowledge to the advantage of our cats

We are on the same side here, honest, but I can only give the knowledge I have if I know for sure what I am dealing with.

he's just come downstairs, eaten a mouthful of Iams biscuits which he hasn't done for 2 weeks and then scoffed down 2/3 of a Gourmet tin without me chasing him round the house with a bowl!

Wonderful news I bet you will sleep better tonight.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 17:38:15 PM »
The Proot must have picked up on the good wishes though, he's just come downstairs, eaten a mouthful of Iams biscuits which he hasn't done for 2 weeks and then scoffed down 2/3 of a Gourmet tin without me chasing him round the house with a bowl!

Attaboy, Proot!  I'm bumping this too, in case anyone has had a similar experience to Baggy?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 17:32:35 PM »
The virtual good wishes are most welcome.  I appreciate our vet is really the only person who can advise, and would always defer to their opinion.  But, I'm always keen to find out if anyone has had similar problems - and ideas for what to ask the vet.

The Proot must have picked up on the good wishes though, he's just come downstairs, eaten a mouthful of Iams biscuits which he hasn't done for 2 weeks and then scoffed down 2/3 of a Gourmet tin without me chasing him round the house with a bowl!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 17:22:53 PM »
Yes, I'm for erring on the side of caution too (except where my own health is concerned, where I just take an aspirin and expect it to go away - lucky so far  :evillaugh:). But I would never, ever just leave anything to the doctor, vet, lawyer or anyone else - and, lest you should think I'm a hypocrite, I expect my own clients to take the same robust, informed approach with me.

What I'm trying to say is that by sharing information on here, we can spread knowledge to the advantage of our cats. I always shudder if anyone attempts an online diagnosis, but pooled experience seems helpful to me.  It's why I joined, in fact...

:Luv: C

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 17:07:16 PM »
I must say, Ela, that I nonetheless think it is helpful to learn from the experiences of others

I appreciate what you say and agree we can learn from the experience of others however, when some problems are posted I know some things it can be that are easily solved and others that most certainly are not, so in these cases I personally would rather air on the side of caution and just leave it to the vet. My cat could well have the same symptoms so I post what it was yet another cat’s problems could be totally different with the same symptoms. Also some people (not in this case I am sure)  they take what we say   as gospel or think it could be the least serious of things we write because that is what they want to think,  when in fact it could be something that needs veterinary care ASAP. e.g Although a worse case scenario, had I posted on a dog board that my Badger had been sick but seems OK now, I expect folks would have said see how he goes. Yet had we not taken him to the vets he would have been dead in the hour. Yet in another case of sickness it could just be gluttony, minutes before he had been sick he had been running around like a puppy and we had not an inkling there was anything seriously wrong with him.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 17:08:58 PM by Ela »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 16:40:10 PM »
So sorry to hear Proot is unwell .....I'm unable to offer any advice I'm afraid but hopefully someone will be on soon who can offer you either advice or at least give an idea of the questions to ask the vet.

Big Big hugs to you and proot.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 16:22:39 PM »
vet is really the only person who can help.

I must say, Ela, that I nonetheless think it is helpful to learn from the experiences of others, if only to give Baggy (in this case) options to discuss with her vet. My vet is excellent, but I like to be as well-informed and well-prepared as possible when talking to any professional.

:Luv:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 16:08:34 PM »
To be honest there is so much going on with Proot that you vet is really the only person who can help. We could be so wide off the mark giving any advice.  Trust me I know exactly how helpless you must be feeling especialy with the fortnight I have had with my pets.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 15:59:06 PM »
I'm sorry to hear that Proot is under the weather, Baggy.

There aren't many folks on at the moment, but I'm sure someone useful will be along pretty soon with practical advice for you and Proot.

:hug: to him.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Poor Proot may have liver problems
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 15:28:34 PM »
Don't know if anyone can advise, but just wanted to get this off my chest as I'm so worried.

Things aren't looking good for poor old Proot.  He's been treated for hyperthyroid for 2 months and was doing really well.  The vet said he had slightly high liver enzymes when he was tested a month ago (don't know the level) but they have been coming down steadily.  He is 14.

He started to lose interest in his food two weeks ago, although he was still eating two pouches a day and treats.  Over the last week I've been having to really coax him to eat and he's been losing weight.

Went to the vet on Monday - blood tests show liver enzymes and thyroid levels are still coming down but that he has slight anaemia.  He had a B12 appetite stimulant on Monday which really perked him up, took him back on Thurs (after the blood results came back) and had another B12 shot and he has Nisamox antibiotics for 5 days. He has to go back in 10 days for more blood tests, and if his liver enzyme is coming down again they will give him a steroid to help his anaemia.  Vet thinks it could be linked to the thyroid.

This time the B12 hasn't worked, am wondering if the antibiotics are making him feel icky.

It seems odd that his liver enxyme is getting better but he has developed anaemia.  I've been looking at all the posts on here for liver disease/anaemia and feeding tips but I feel so helpless!  He's still eating about 2 tins of Gourmet food a day plus whatever else we can interest him in.

Link to CatChat