Author Topic: random piddling - problem solved?  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
Re: random piddling - problem solved?
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 09:33:26 AM »
I'm just wondering - if your cat likes to do her thing on newspaper, there are some paper-based litters on the market too. I think Yesterday's News is the main one.

http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/getpage.aspx?ContentID=156&MenuItemID=65#CatLitter

Otherwise, why not just stick to the newspaper if she likes it? Or if you've got a paper shredder, why not use the output from that to put in her litter tray?
I'm using paper-based at the moment but I think she doesn't like raking (even when she's not got a sore paw) - when she does use the trays she just reverses in and squats, no attempt to cover it over - and when she goes outside she just uses pretty much the same spot on the lawn each time..
We don't have a newspaper delivered so I don't really want to buy them just for the cat! But on the other hand I suppose puppy pads aren't very friendly to the environment - might have to see if I can find a washable alternative... !

If you decide to go with the puppy pad in the tray idea and need to buy them in bulk I can recommend this seller on ebay, 100 pads for £27.50 including delivery.  The ones in Pets at Home are around £7 for 14 and these are just as good...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-PUPPY-TRAINER-TRAINING-WEE-PADS-60x60cm-PETS_W0QQitemZ290071152296QQihZ019QQcategoryZ43426QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for that suggestion, if I can't find washable ones I could be tempted.

Actually, I'm currently considering getting a kid's potty, wiping it round with some of her pee and seeing if she'll use that... maybe that cat toilet that someone posted would actually work with her!!
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 16:13:33 PM »
I'm just wondering - if your cat likes to do her thing on newspaper, there are some paper-based litters on the market too. I think Yesterday's News is the main one.

http://www.yesterdaysnews.com/getpage.aspx?ContentID=156&MenuItemID=65#CatLitter

Otherwise, why not just stick to the newspaper if she likes it? Or if you've got a paper shredder, why not use the output from that to put in her litter tray?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 16:00:20 PM »
If you decide to go with the puppy pad in the tray idea and need to buy them in bulk I can recommend this seller on ebay, 100 pads for £27.50 including delivery.  The ones in Pets at Home are around £7 for 14 and these are just as good...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/100-PUPPY-TRAINER-TRAINING-WEE-PADS-60x60cm-PETS_W0QQitemZ290071152296QQihZ019QQcategoryZ43426QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 11:30:35 AM »
I've tried a few different ones in the past - wood-based, fuller's earth (cheap and not so), catsan. The only one the cats all seem to mostly like is Bio-Catolet - the boys love it and Charley uses it too. But she pees on the side too. I put an extra tray in the kitchen (we haven't got room for 4 trays, but we've now got 2) and I've taken the flap out for her, but she still wasn't using it until I replaced the litter with paper.

Charley normally pees more like a dog anyway, in that she doesn't dig a hole first or try and bury it; she just pees on the grass if it's fairly dry out. It's only when the weather's bad or cold that I have to put trays down..

She's also been known to precision pee in the wok, bowls, and at the weekend in a small tray that had had two courgettes in...maybe when we get the downstairs loo fixed we can train her to use that...

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 10:54:04 AM »
She might just not like the litter you have down, I would try a few different litters first - and wait until the cut on her pads have healed
Please spay your cat

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
    • my blog
random piddling - problem solved?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:28:23 AM »
As some of you may know I have problems with my cats peeing all over the kitchen. The sparying to mark I'm not so bothered about as I think when we can afford to replace the stuff that smells of the last owner's cat (who peed everywhere) it'll stop, also it's diminishing now. What I wanted to share is that I think we've cracked the problem with the peeing on the side by Charley!!!

A couple of nights ago I sprinkled Cayenne pepper on the sides as a deterrent, but she still went on a cushion on one of the chairs.  :brick:Then last night I had a brainwave and thought, maybe she just doesn't like litter? It can't help that she's cut one of her pads at the moment so probably doesn't like digging. Anyway, I emptied the (clean) litter out of one tray into the other (giving Sammy more to play with) and just put newspaper down, and wiped the pepper off the sides. When I got up this morning, the only pee was in the tray with the newspaper!! :yayyy: Given that she's peed on the sheepskin rug before, I think it might be a plan to invest in some puppy pads and give her those instead of litter.

Could this be the light at the end of the extremely smelly tunnel?? Please keep your fingers crossed for us!!

Link to CatChat