Author Topic: Cat vaccinations for outside!  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
Re: Cat vaccinations for outside!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 16:43:38 PM »
Jazzycat, would it be worth speaking to the rescue any clarifying why they have to be indoor cats? Maybe you could also mention that they seem to want to go outside and see what the rescue says. I guess it depends on why they feel they need to be kept inside.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 11:17:43 AM »
Im not going to go into the indoor/outdoor debate but as I have 2 cats that are 'flat cats' I thought Id put my bit in. I have both of mine totally up to date with vaccinations as not only can they still catch stuff in a flat but without vacs they cant go in a cattery and mine need to. Also Amber has times when I feel Im being cruel keeping her inside but she has loads of cat toys and attention and now hardly ever sneaks out of the door when Im putting rubbish out, unlike Mogs who every now and then decides to explore without warning and has before now been shut on the landing for an hour before I missed her.
Basically most cats will adjust to the circumstances they are in and be happy there.
love
Tab

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 09:01:44 AM »
but you hav=e to judge on the situation where you live.

Normally yes I agree it is a persons choice however, in this case the rescue pacifically homed them as indoor cats and there must be a reason for this,  the fact that someone lives in a flat, environment, nature of cat etc.  CP could take the cats back if they were found to have been allowed out. How will they know you may ask, it is surprising how many calls I received from well meaning people to tell me what people do  (not all bad things) with their cats saying they got them from you. Often they didn't but that is a different story.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 01:50:32 AM »
As ela says CP should have given you all the infom and vaccination cards.

They may have been rehomed as indoor cats cos of where you live.

Is it safe for them to go out where you live? personally I dont like cats being kept indoors if they have been used to going outside but you hav=e to judge on the situation where you live.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 00:35:25 AM »
CP should have given you the cards stating what injections were given and when the booster is due. They should have also advised you when they were last treated with for fleas and worms and when the next treatments are due. Perhaps you will care to read my indoor/outdoor debate on www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk you may then not feel so bad about keeping them in.

Offline Jazzycat

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 00:31:00 AM »
Hiya,

As far as I am aware from the Cp they have had first jabs I'm assuming it was for those things, I take it they will need boosters,the vet never said? I wont take them out (I was assuming the mother and possibly daughter got out to get pregnant in the first case grr, but they have been neutered now, before we adopted them) I suppose I felt sorry for the youngest (1 year old now), she is quite spirited and very active, chittering away at the pigeons lol! And hunts my daughters toys and brings them as presents to us in the living room! :shy:

Cheers,

louie xx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 00:15:19 AM »
As you have signed for them as indoor cats that is what they should be. There must be a reason why they were homed as indoor cats.

Indoor cats need to injected for enteritis and cat flu as they are airborne diseases.

Offline Jazzycat

• Kitten
Cat vaccinations for outside!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 00:09:39 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have a wee question,

I adopted two cats about 3 months ago as indoor cats (I live in a flat), but one of them (the youngest) has become keen on getting out, bolting whenever the door is open for a minute (I am assuming they have been out before they are mother and daughter). She will bolt out the door in a flash, I was wondering if I should let her out, with harness, not on her own, cause of cars, and what vaccination should she have? (the vet said indoor cats require minimal to no vaccination,the cp took care of the 1st jabs anyway) The problem is I signed the adoption papers promising to keep them as indoor cats, I did ask about FIV but they are negative?? Strange!

Any advice would be great!

Louie x :Crazy:  :shy:

Link to CatChat