Author Topic: help with my new kitten  (Read 1864 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: help with my new kitten
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 18:14:03 PM »
Poor little thing, sounds like shes had a traumatic start to her life  :(

I would buy/borrow a dog cage and set it up with a cosy bed, tray and food and let her live in there, keep it in the room with the other kittens for company. Then just spend time with her, handfeed chicken etc if shes food oriented. You can try reading a book out loud and leave a radio on low.
Well done for saving her from a very lonely existance.
Can you post us some pictures?  :)

Offline bagpussarah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 16:57:43 PM »
When we got two of our cats from CPL they were approx 12 weeks. Floss was quite confident, but Pip would run and hide if she saw any of us. I really thought she would always be this way, but she is 2 now and loves to come and sit on my lap for a cuddle.
We were very patient with her, and we would go into the room they were in, feed them and talk gently while doing so. Floss had no problem with us making a fuss of her, but Pip would run off. We carried on sitting in the room with them, talking to them and playing with Floss. Eventually, Pip allowed us to stroke her head when she was eating, and then we were allowed to stroke her when she was curled up on the chair, and things carried on improving.

Last night, Pip was cuddled up to me, enjoying lots of attention and when I stopped stroking her, she patted me on the hand so that I would carry on. She is so affectionate and I'm sure your little one will be given time.

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 15:20:43 PM »
Hi Marie, is the kitten shy with you aswell as the other kittens ? You could sit and play with the other kittens so she can see you and she will see that you arnt going to do her any harm. Just seems that she has been last on the respect list at her other "owners" and she's needing a bit of reassurance and self confidence. Hopefully she will start coming round and start enjoying her life instead of being scared all the time.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 15:02:37 PM »
Have a look at wizz's  site for advice o how to deal with timid kitties :)

http://wizz-catz.co.uk/timidcat.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline marie84

• Kitten
help with my new kitten
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 14:51:43 PM »
Hi,

I need some advice on my 9 week old kitten meeka, on wednesday last week i rescued her as she was been neglected by her previous owners who would leave her in a small room with dogs and would feed her on dog biscuits as they said it was no point in putting down any kitten food.
We have a huge scratching pole that is a 3 tier and has two beds onit we need it as we have 7 kittens, and she hides in that constantly, she only comes out for the toilet, and to eat and drink. Ive tried bringing her out to interact with her but she doesnt want to know, on friday she started to play with the toy i had for the first time, but since then she has lost all interest, our other kittens are been really good with her our eldest started to lick her tail but she ran off, even when our 8 week old goes near her she will curl up or run away. she has started to shake again.

Any advice on how to make her feel more comfortable.

Also i feed my kittens on sciencep

Link to CatChat