Author Topic: fussy cat  (Read 1815 times)

ccmacey

Re: fussy cat
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 13:36:06 PM »
I think the problem is too much choice. I usually buy Gourmet, Whiskers and Felix pouches , my cats will not eat out of cans. They also eat all flavors of Go cat biscuits. I bought some of them Whiskers temptations for them at Xmas and my 7 month old woke me up early hours this morn trying to break into a box that was on my comp desk. My cats are extra fussy when they know that there is cooked meat in the fridge, they also sit round the cooker and come and tell me when the sunday roast is ready, they think it's for them you see.

Offline Claire M

• Adult Cat
  • My Beautiful Casper
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 21:12:24 PM »
Felix can be a very fussy eater at times, he loves "Felix as good as it looks" his favourites are beef and plaice, but has been known to turn his nose up at both when so inclined! I have dry food down for him and he eats that without any problems,so at least I know he's having something,and I always make sure there is fresh water down for him. I constantly buy new foods for him to try but he does not like them.When he's being really choosy I give him tinned tuna in brine and he wolfs it, that usually brings his appetite back!!
Claire M x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 14:39:12 PM »
I also ring the changes and my 2 are totally unfussy - they will eat anything I put in front of them.  They do tend to have the same dry food every day (but that's only a small proportion of their daily food) but I give them lots of different wet foods - different brands and different flavours.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 14:19:17 PM »
I've found that, contrary to what I'd been told before, Blip needs to have a wide variety of flavours and quickly becomes bored if any flavour is repeated too soon. Do you ring the changes with their foods? We buy the same brand (Gourmet Pearl, as it happens) but alternate the different variety packs.

A spot of distraction with a good game can also help, especially at this time of year when Blip spends hardly any time outdoors.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 10:59:07 AM »
Maybe they are not hungry and do just want attention from you? Either that or they truly don't like the food you are feeding them. Mine try and act up for an hour before teatime when I am off work, and I just ignore them, they only get fed at certain times.
Please spay your cat

Offline thecatsclaws

• Adult Cat
  • My Binxy Baby
    • TheCatsClaws.com
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 06:02:55 AM »
Hmmmm I know what you mean with that one!  Binx is on a special low PH diet and there is only one flavour - which he didn't like when he first got introduced to it!

I don't know exactly how to get over this hurdle, as I incorporated so many ideas at once I'm not sure which one worked!  I started spending a lot more time with Binx, just playin with him and grooming him this way he didn't always demand my attention.  I moved his food bowl to a low traffic area of the house, I now have a cat nip plant and cat grass which Binx nibbles on during the day.  Also he has an endless amount of toys to play with!

He now eats his food without any problems and give him treats every now and again like sardines etc, just to keep things interesting for him.  I found that sometimes even changing the bowls or plates to something completely different (I use the dinner plates that look likes the plates me and my OH use - cleaned daily for him!)

Hopefully that would give you some ideas! 
www.thecatsclaws.com

A cat is there when you call him - that's if he doesn't have anything better to do.

Offline rfen25

• Kitten
fussy cat
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 01:17:58 AM »
Both of my cats seem to be fussy eaters.    They will frequently leave food, or turn their noses up at food which I put down for them.  Frequently, when there is plenty of food available to them, they will behave as if there is no food available to them at all and they are starving, getting in the way of everything, demanding extra attention, scratching furniture, driving me to distraction.    There is no way to reason with a cat, and I get so frustrated when I see the amount of food that they waste.      Its really hard to ignore without locking them outside which I don't really want to do.     Does anyone have any suggestions.

Link to CatChat