Author Topic: Why does he do this?  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
  • Sam - missing since 29th August 2007 xx
Re: Why does he do this?
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 22:50:55 PM »
Hi again Nick

Teddy is lovely and very much like Sam.  When I was thinking of a new name for Sam (the previous owner thought he was a girl so called him Kitty!) I nearly called him Teddy as his fur is yummy and soft like a teddy bear.

I was rather curious about the post you made and saw it mentioned in another thread about books on behaviour.  I have bid on one of his books on a certain auction site.  I will enjoy reading this now.

Anyway, I will get back to my New Years Eve party........who am I trying to kid.....just got a glass of my favourite tipple...

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 22:18:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies. 

Nick, what is this Tabor research? It sounds very interesting and sounds like just what Sam is doing with the non-aggression signs/noises.  He too has been whopped a few times by my neighbours cat and some other cat a few doors away when he cheerily approaches them to make friends.  However he does have a buddy, a black slender thing, I cant tell if it is male or female.  He/she comes for him and waits by the gate, sticking it's head through it to look in the patio window.  It's quite cute as when I let Sam out they chase each other about  :)

Sam was neutered, about 2 months ago.  It appears he is calling out to his buddy (who may be female  ;) ) This would explain his behaviour on both counts.

That sounds very likely Debbie.

We have a lovely Mackrel cat that is an extremly sucessful hunter . Whenever he comes through our garden he always calls out. It used to worry me but I soon realised he was calling out to my Tomcat  Peanut to let him know he was in his territory and no threat. "just passin through boss"
Peanut and Spooky became great friends and they always greet each other with sniff/rub noses but Peanut still cannot resist boxes his ears occasionally and chasing up the nearest tree. Just in case Spookey forgot whose territory he was in.

Roger Tabor is one of the first people to carry out original scientific research into cat behaviour in the UK and Canada. There were a lot of BBC programs in the 70s and 80s
He has written lots of books and scientific papers and most modern writers on cat behaviour have cribbed from his results .
http://www.worldofcats.co.uk/Secondindex.html

If you are really interested in what makes cats tick he is simply the best on domesticated and feral cats

Love the pics . sam looks just like my Teddy

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 22:19:19 PM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 20:43:26 PM »
I dont think some of the cats in my neighbourhood do either Gill judging by the bats around the head he gets from their paws  :scared:

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 20:41:44 PM »
Especially for Helen, more pics of my little friend.  They have been taken on my mobile so the quality is not so good  :innocent:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 20:31:58 PM »
Thats really interesting cos its what Franta does to Sasa and Misa nut they hate him  :'(

I always thouight when he sat in front of them and just gave a cute meow , he was trying to be friends but they dont seem to understand.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 20:23:05 PM »
As far as I know, when a cat does this it's just a "hello, I'm here" thing! :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 19:01:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies. 

Nick, what is this Tabor research? It sounds very interesting and sounds like just what Sam is doing with the non-aggression signs/noises.  He too has been whopped a few times by my neighbours cat and some other cat a few doors away when he cheerily approaches them to make friends.  However he does have a buddy, a black slender thing, I cant tell if it is male or female.  He/she comes for him and waits by the gate, sticking it's head through it to look in the patio window.  It's quite cute as when I let Sam out they chase each other about  :)

Sam was neutered, about 2 months ago.  It appears he is calling out to his buddy (who may be female  ;) ) This would explain his behaviour on both counts.

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 01:01:35 AM »
Tabor noted in his research that cats entering a new territory often make this kind of noise as a clear sign that they neither offer nor intend any threat to other cats in the area. It is perhaps a kind of appeasement .  If Sam meets other cats he will probably make certain subtle  body movements that indicate his friendly intentions. They do this with their ear and tail positions and other signs.

Peanut my 1 yr old went straight out into our garden and approached the next doors Tom cat to say hello he promply got his ears boxed  :) :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 23:49:35 PM »
Is Sam neutered?  Sounds like he may be calling for a lady friend...  If he is done then he may just be calling his friends over to play!  I think we are well overdue seeing another pic of the handsome Sam, he's a babe  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Debbie

• Senior Cat
Why does he do this?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 19:45:40 PM »
I have just started letting Sam out in the garden.  He climbs on the fence and ventures out, climbing onto garage roofs etc.  The thing is he mieows alsmost constantly as he is wandering about.  I have noticed a couple of cats come to my garden, especially when he is out.  He follows them and chases some in a playful way, as they then chase him too, no fighting involved.

Do you think the mieowing is Sam calling out to his playmates??

He never seems in distress and I always leave the patio door open when he is out (I know, middle of winter brrrrrr!) so he can run in if he gets scared.  Btw he is fairly young, about 1ish so wants to play with ALL the cats he sees! :Luv:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 20:04:31 PM by Debbie »

Link to CatChat