Author Topic: My cat is allergic to cat food!  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: My cat is allergic to cat food!
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 09:13:27 AM »
As the others have said, as long as it is balanced and they are getting enough taurine and calcium,

I agree without taurine cats can go blind and suffer brain damage, I am very surprised that your vet has not discussed this with you.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 20:27:18 PM »
both my cats have food allergies. One cannot eat anything with tuna in it as she throws up and the other cannot eat any dry cat foods or certain tinned foods as she gets the runs. Its worth experimenting and finding what suits them. Its worth next time you speak to the vet asking if that kind of diet is ok longterm just in case theyre missing out something vital........

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 02:31:29 AM »
Hi there,

I think that if you wanted to carry on feeding this sort of diet then it would be best to speak to the vet as there are a lot of things that go into making a diet complete. My friend has a cat with a similar thing but it only seems to be sick when fed fish varieties so this is easily cured!!

If you wanted to then the vet can do a blood test which is sent to an external laboratory to check for allergies although it is very expensive but it does test a lot of things. You could try something like James Wellbeloved or you can get Hills z/d from the vets which is a low allergen food.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 13:47:42 PM »
As the others have said, as long as it is balanced and they are getting enough taurine and calcium, they should be fine - your vet will be able to give you more advice though. Have the vets done any tests? What kind of food have you tried? Grains are a common allergy in cats, but there are cat foods without them.
Please spay your cat

Offline misswint

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 22:43:25 PM »
Thanks for yor advice x :thanks:

Offline Grit

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 17:51:17 PM »
Hi one of my kittens is allergic to cat food and to white meats.  He is on Royal Canin Sensitivity Control, which I also give to my other cats sometimes as trying to control what he eats can be a nightmare.  My kitten didn't vomit but constantly had the runs although he never appeared "ill"

I guess it depends what he is allergic to.  We have started to feed at set times in seperate areas as my other two cats liked to graze all day which meant the kitten if he was quick could get to their food before we could take it up

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 16:13:03 PM »
Are you feeding canned salmon and tuna or fresh? If canned, then all I would say is make sure you get the fish canned in spring water, rather than brine or oil. It sounds like a pretty good diet, and if your cats are eating all of the fish if canned i.e. the little crunchy bones too - then they should be getting enough calcium, although you might want to ask your vet about whether there is a need to maybe add some extra, especially as they are growing cats.

The only other thing I would think about adding is taurine, which is essential for cats. it is in all meats, but if the chicken and any other meats are cooked or in any way, processed i.e. minced -  taurine is depleted, so it would be worth adding some. Its readily available online, in tubs of the powder, or powder in caplets - but make sure you find one that doesnt have lots of other ingredients in it - many do. You can just sprinkle it on the food and it appears to be tasteless, because my lot don't notice it!

Its great you've found foods that suit your cat - loads better than cat food!

Offline misswint

• Kitten
My cat is allergic to cat food!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 15:41:47 PM »
Hi

My oldest cat Momo is coming is 10 months old and I also have a 6 month year old kitten called Xabi. A few months ago we took Momo to the vets as he was vomiting almost every evening.

The vet suggested that he may be allergic to cat food so we tried him on white meat and fish and the vomiting stopped. We give him things like sardines, tuna, salmon, chicken etc and we also have to give our kitten the same, as Momo would eat cat food if it was put out for her.

Just woneded if anyone else had come across this situation before - I dont mind not giving them cat food as it cost about the same, but I wonder if they are getting a balanced diet from what we give them. They are very happy and healthy cats.

Link to CatChat