Author Topic: Furniture protection  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
Re: Furniture protection
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 10:19:55 AM »
Thanks Clare, I'll definately check out the cat scratcher, I've ordered the athena cat tree from zooplus which hopefully should be arriving today  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 09:43:52 AM »
Sticky paws (double sided sticky tape) can help as a temporary measure.  I have a throw over mine but it doesn't help much as Mosi just crawls underneath it!  Mine don't scratch it though - just catch claws on it playing.  Try to position a cat tree next to the sofa - if they have an alternative to scratch they might give the sofa a miss.

Yup, defo try Sticky Paws, I've used them on our newest sofa and its worked a treat.

Also, we've bought Max an Ancol Fatboy Scratching Post off ebay, seriously have a look, it is huge, but it means they can scratch to almost full height without pulling it over, since he's had that he's not even looked at the sofas  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 18:57:01 PM »
Yep, have felliway too, sprayed it all over the settee when I got it but next day he'd sprayed all along the side, he's obsessed.
I had throws over my last settees but as you say Susanne they go underneath and scratch, li'l butter, I hated having to constantly straighten the darn things, they didn't really help much and I think I would prefer wiping the side of the sofa every day. I will look out for the 'sticky paws' and the pet training spray, thanks and I'll let you know if it works,
 :thanks: Fiona

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 18:20:46 PM »
That's true - we have a Feliway diffuser too, which I'd forgotten!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 17:51:36 PM »
Feliway spray is pretty good too. I bought a couple bottles and the difusser to calm Lexy a little and its worked. She doesn't scratch furniture as a rule but I believe its advertised as the cure to scratching and spraying.   If you use the VetsUK link on Ela's profile her rescue gets a little something.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 15:33:28 PM »
You can get something called 'Pet Behave Training Spray' which you use on the surface you are trying to protect. It smells a bit like citronella. It works for us but I don't know if it is OK to use on leather - you'd need to test an inconspicuous area first.

I use a throw as well, draping it over the area Blip is attracted to. Mind you, Blip scratches as a protest on the (rare) occasions that she doesn't get her own way, so I think the throw just makes things a bit too inconvenient to bother!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 14:34:58 PM »
Sticky paws (double sided sticky tape) can help as a temporary measure.  I have a throw over mine but it doesn't help much as Mosi just crawls underneath it!  Mine don't scratch it though - just catch claws on it playing.  Try to position a cat tree next to the sofa - if they have an alternative to scratch they might give the sofa a miss.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 14:20:24 PM »
I have tried anything and to be honest have given up !
I too now  :censored: have a leather sofa with the foam hanging out of the corner lol

We have scratch posts and scatch pads but they still go back to the corner of the 2 seater (never touched the 3 seater for some reason though!)

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
Furniture protection
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 14:01:05 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas for protecting furniture from scratching and spraying, have just chucked our two old settees out (stuffing hanging out of the arms and constantly scrubbed because of Pepe pee bum) and bought two second hand leather ones (no point buying new) and thought they would be easier to clean. Have also ordered a cat tree which will hopefully be scratched instead but has anyone come up with ingenious solutions to this problem? Stapling carpet to the sides of the couch? Covering with something?  :-:
 :scratch:

Link to CatChat