Author Topic: Time to let go ?  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Time to let go ?
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 15:01:52 PM »
I am so sorry his time has come - I agree with the others to ring, they may have a solution. My vet has always sedated hard to handle cats before the last needle, but dont know if that would be an option in this case.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 13:46:23 PM »
Poor Skaggy. It's always hard seeing an animal you've cared for deteriorate. I think people that have posted  before are probably right. Ringing the vet and getting a bit of advice on how to handle the situation might be a good idea. I hope you're OK. ((hugs))
« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 13:46:54 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 13:25:44 PM »
Im so sorry too, Its obvious on previous posts how much Scaggy means to you.  Thinking about you all :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 12:56:18 PM »
Sorry to hear about Skaggy.   :care:

I would phone the vets and see if they have a crush cage you can use. It has a moving panel in it to restrain difficult cats. A local rescue may have one.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 12:52:59 PM »
Oh Michelle, I'm so sorry to hear this. I agree with Eve.

Thinking of you and little Skaggy Cat.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:32:37 PM »
Im so sorry, you are clearly heartbroken, Skaggy obviously felt safe to stay with you all this time  :-[

Why not ring the vets first, explain the situation and ask their advice? They might come out to you?

Thinking of you xx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Time to let go ?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 12:12:48 PM »
]As some of you will know i have a Feral cat the lives in my front garden.
Skaggy cat has been part of our family for 10yrs and although he has never allowed me to touch him i love him as much as my *inhome* babies.

He has SCC (Squamous cell carcinoma ) of the nose but apart from that and being old he does ok, he has a warm house with a heat mat and eats for England.

However, this morning i found him outside of his house, i called him and he walked over but was very wobberly on his legs and also didnt seem to be able to see very well. He didnt wait for me to put his breakfast down and just got back in his house. I have put his food in his house but he doesnt seem intrested in it . He is facing the back of his house.

I am going to give him a few more hours but I Think the time has come to "let him go" - his house in a covered in littertray so it doesnt have a door! I am going to take a door off a carrier and tape it across so i can get him to the vets.
I am just worried that "the end" is going to be very stressful for him, he has never been handled and i dont quiet know how the vet will get him out of his house and then blue needle him ?

I am finding this very hard - i want to do whats best for skaggy cat but i dont want his final moments to be too scary for him.

Sorry to ramble on, i am a total mess at the moment. Never had to make the choice to have one of mine PTS. It would also be so much easier if he was a "tame" cat and the whole thing would be less stressful for him.

Link to CatChat