Author Topic: Cat feeding  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cat feeding
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 07:00:48 AM »
Both mine only eat wet, Byron will have the odd biscuit (they are always down) but only if she wants wet and there is none! they have about 4 small meals a day (well Pepper's are quite large but he has thyroid issues) Byron is small and thin and I could never see her fatter that is how she is but I do think that Pepper's weight is going on easier because I'm there to give him lots of small meals a day.  I think it's important though not let them get overweight if possible for their health and because it easier than having to start reducing.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 01:17:13 AM »
My lot are on 2 pouches per day each plus biccies.... I dare say though that some eat more wet than dry and vice versa but overall it works out ok!  ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 22:27:03 PM »
I don't suppose she's "bloater" level yet. But as I said, with me knowing that another cat with her genes developed diabetes it does make me more wary.

Toby was her "blood uncle." The people who took on one of his litter mates allowed him to have a litter with their female before getting them spayed and neutered. The age old 'one litter' myth...... :tired:

I class her as buxom with the capacity for getting a bit too rotund.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 18:43:40 PM »
As long as its 2 meals worth into 3 portions its ok, my lot get their daily food in 4 meals and apart from lola who is suffering the side effects of steroid use they are all ok weight wise, certainly not bloaters  :Luv2:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 18:28:20 PM »
Yes, she does Desley. :) She goes mad in the cat tunnel and loves the catnip sardines from the Purrs shop, as well as feather toys and small toy mice. She's a very nervy cat too so I'm surprised she doesn't burn off calories with nervous energy!

Decided to cut down to two wet meals a day and the final meal of the day to be dry, with no biscuits left down apart from the portion put down for overnight.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 18:09:52 PM »
I am not convinced they need 3 wet meals a day, especially not if you are leaving food down overnight, all mine have done fine on 2 wet and a small amount of biscuits. Does she play?
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 13:27:46 PM »
So maybe three wet meals a day, and dry food left down overnight?

Sage is related by blood to Toby, who was also rather large and developed diabetes. Knowing that diabetes is genetic, I worry a little.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 12:44:47 PM »
IT is in that each cat has a different metabolism (like humans), plus a different activity level so they can eat the same and be different weights, but there are a lot of health issues with overweight cats, and it is incredibly hard to get cats to lose weight, so it is better to monitor weight than let them get overweight and then have to deal with it.
Please spay your cat

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 12:39:10 PM »
I'm not sure whether the amount of food has any importance.
My cats have all day access to dry food and Noa is like a Barbapapa and Savannah is very thin.
My daughter has a "round" cat, and the vet says, she just IS like that and no diet would help.
Is Sage healthy? Then I wouldn't be concerned about her weight too much
Every life should have 9 cats

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 12:13:55 PM »
i personally would limit the amount that is left down - in fact, there is only one cat in my house who is allowed food down all the time, which is Sam (due to his hyper-t, he needs to gain weight, and he eats in a place no one else goes) . Everyone else has measured amounts of biscuits, although Molly needs to gain some weight, so she gets extra rations.  3 meals of wet plus biscuits is a lot though, so maybe also cut out one of the wet meals, or make hers a smaller portion. Light biscuits might also help. You could also try playing more to help her burn off the calories. It is important to keep on top of her weight though, there are so many health risks when they are overweight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 18:44:33 PM »
However, Sage is obsessed with the dry food - how can we encourage her to eat less of the dry and more of the wet to lose a little weight?

You wont persuade an addict that their fix isnt neccessary so your only option is not to leave it down.
I know it sounds strange but i do believe that cats can get addicted to biscuits and it can be a real struggle to get them onto wet

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 14:33:08 PM »
I'm another one with a fatty female feline who loves dry biscuits - is it mostly fffs this affects :shocked:

I have taken to measuring out two day's worth of dry each night for the three cats, and slipping the leanest one extras during the day - as Tosker too likes the biscuits and Trigger eats some of them at night, Tiffany is unlikely to be getting more than her share overall

but I do wonder if it is a metabolism thing too, as she doesn't eat anything much else, and doesn't ask for food during the day, so does not come across as a greedy cat - but she is undoubtedly overweight - nothing to suggest there is any underlying condition though - I'm baffled :um:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 12:40:26 PM »
Thats the point...there has to be a line between the cat being happy in mind and healthy in body, how do you do this when their happy and enjoy eating the dry food, but its making them fat  :tired:

I feel awful on Macey when I have to shoo her away and then let the others eat, of course she doesn't understand  :shy:

So the only options are to let them be happy and eat dry, or dont let them eat it and they think they have done something wrong and associate going for biscuits with doing something wrong.

I say let them be happy and eat them  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 12:27:20 PM »
I know of someone who weighed and limited her cats to a certain amount of dry daily and the weight came off but it can be difficult in multi-cat households.  My vet once recommended for my first 2 cats who were starting to get a bit podgy, a low calorie Hills dry - which worked but tbh I think it was because they weren't too keen on it! I think the only solution really is finding a lower calorie dry and/or limiting it,  if they are hungry they will eat other foods too.  I wouldn't cut it out totally they would just be miserable. 
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
I dont honestly know Jack. My Macey will hunt dry food out, even when its hidden in the microwave- I have to put it in there to stop her eating it  :shocked:

Then once I put some out for Harry, she is there headbutting him out of the way, she will do this to all of them!

So I have came to the descion that she is not allowed to eat the dry food (although she does sneak some, and knows she is being naughty as she does a very slow creep towards it  :evillaugh: )

So all I can suggest is that you keep it out of her way or maybe try a lesser calorie one  :shy:

:hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 12:16:42 PM »
Aw bless Sage!  :Luv2:

Im having the same problem's with my (fattie Pattie) Lola JS, she is a total biscuit monster and I cant take them away as it would not be fair on the others.... Im using da laser and other things so she can burn up a few calories but she is only 3 so can take it!  ;)

Hope you find a solution for the gorgeous lady!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 10:51:52 AM »
Am coping. My partner is being wonderful, because although I know he'll be missing our panther too he's making me copious cups of tea and giving me lots of hugs.

I would like to know how to control Sages eating issue. She's healthy enough, but I worry that if she continues the way she is there may be a risk she won't be.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 10:30:32 AM »
Am putting this thread on "notify replies" so Noni can take some notice of her other mummy coz she doesn't listen to a word from me!

Hope you're managing OK JS  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Cat feeding
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 10:20:40 AM »
I am somewhat concerned about the "buxomness" of Sage, our stunning tabby torti girl. We leave three small bowls around the house with dry food in and feed wet food three times daily. (Not large amounts, very small portions.)

However, Sage is obsessed with the dry food - how can we encourage her to eat less of the dry and more of the wet to lose a little weight?

Link to CatChat