Author Topic: Putting on weight after spaying ?  (Read 1549 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Putting on weight after spaying ?
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 13:53:14 PM »
Sounds like they have just caught up with themselves - but as Susanne says, most cats need less food after spaying, and a lot of people dont realise this and continue to feed them the same amount, which is when you can start having weight issues. You might want to swap them from kitten food to adult food if you are worried (but best do it gradually).
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 23:51:39 PM »
I think 7 months is often around the time when cats can get a bit chubby if allowed to eat as much as they want - I certainly found that with all 3 of mine.  Neutering does lower the metabolism slightly meaining that they need less food to maintain their weight than if they were entire, so the spaying could be partly responsible.  Mosi was neutered at 5 months and it was about a month after that I noticed he was gaining a little too much weight.  Up until that point I hadn't restricted his food as he was a rapidly growing kitten and I felt he should be allowed to eat as much as he wanted.  After neutering though I started to watch how much I gave him, and moved him onto adult food at about 9 months.  He's grown into his weight now!  Now he doesn't eat anything like the amount he scoffed when he was younger.

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 23:45:35 PM »
Thanks Ela, they were quite thin before so not worried about them being overweight, just wondered if it was anything to do with the spaying as they have certainly filled out since then.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 20:28:58 PM »
Remember as they are still kittens they have not finished growing yet. Once adulthood is reached weight gain in pets is usually the result of overfeeding and possible lack of exercise.

I am sure when they for for their booster injections (assuming they have been injected) your vet will advise you if they are overweight.

Our vet has a free weight control clinic.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
Putting on weight after spaying ?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 19:27:25 PM »
Our three kittens are now seven months old and spayed about five weeks ago.   Since then they seem to be eating much more and have put on some weight.   They were quite skinny before (as was their Mum so I wasn't worried) but have really filled out now.    Anyone know if it is a hormone thing or just normal growing up ?   Thanks.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Link to CatChat