Author Topic: Need reassurance please  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Beth (Mouse's Mum)

• Adult Cat
Re: Need reassurance please
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 12:14:36 PM »
Thanks all.

I think i'm ready to leave my baby now, i found some feliway spray from my vets, have hubby's t-shirt, Mouse's favourite bedding, toys etc.

His favourite treats and food.

Anything else i need to take?

Unfortunately the cattery have only one door inbetween the main one and the cats cage doors, i will be making sure i let them know that he is a little houdini and they should definately not open his cage door unless the middle one is shut.

Doubt they'd let any of the cats escape though, too many court cases if they did

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 19:59:58 PM »
If your cattery has plugs you could take your plug in with you. Mine had never heard of feliway until I took it but after I explained what it did and left it with them they ended up buying plugs for all the pens.
love
Tab

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 19:03:50 PM »
Yes - that's a shame about the feliway.  There's not time to get the spray delivered but it's worth asking your vet if they can get hold of one quickly for you.  It might even be worth ringing other vets in your area to see if they sell it as you don't need a prescription for it.

A good cattery will not allow cats to escape as they have more than 1 (and preferably several) door between the pen and the outside so that if the cat gets out of its pen it can only get so far along a corridor before there's another door and so on.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 17:58:38 PM »
I think I read somewhere that the plug-in is oil-based & the spray water-based so prob best not to. Your vet should be able to order it in for tomorrow although it's the most expensive way of buying it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 17:17:15 PM »
I don't think i could get feliway spray delivered in time, would it work if i dabbed a bit of the feliway from the plug-in on his bedding instead?

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 17:11:04 PM »
Thanks everyone, we're taking his favourite toys, bedding and one of hubby's t-shirts for him.

Our vets only do the feliway refills, where can you get the spray?

Am so worried he'll get out of the cattery, if they leave the main door open by mistake or someone opens it while his pen door is open during feeding.

Am hoping that doesn't happen so much at catteries, i guess they'd be in big trouble if they did lose cats

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 17:00:42 PM »
I'm sure he'll be fine.  I always worry about leaving Jaffa in a cattery as he's so shy and timid but he copes ok.  First time I left him I was worried he'd refuse to eat or something but he didn't.  Just make sure you take along a few things from home including something with your scent on (eg an unwashed t shirt) and try not to worry.  The feliway suggestion is a good one - I do that and leave it with the staff asking them to spray some in the pen every day.  When I first did that they told me he settled quicker.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 16:56:24 PM »
He'll be fine. With mine I have a feliway spray that I spritzed the area with before letting them out of the baskets and they settle down really quickly.
Try not to worry too much and warn the cattery you'll be ringing every night  ;)
love
Tab

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 16:49:17 PM »
he'll be fine and well looked after.
He'll probably still sulk for a day or two when you get back but don't worry - I think they learn how to do that near the hiding all the pens in the house lessons they get.

• Adult Cat
Need reassurance please
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 16:40:40 PM »
Some of you may remember my furbabe Mouse, lost his brother Chubchub to an RTA about 6 weeks ago.

He's getting alot better now.

We're going away on Friday for 4 days and Mouse is going into a cattery.

This is what's upsetting me, we couldn't get a house sitter at short notice and i didn't want to just up and leave him with a neighbour popping in to feed him as he hates being alone.

He's never been confined to a small run before and has never stayed anywhere overnight.

I'm so worried that he'll stress himself out so much at the cattery that he'll do himself harm, or he'll miss us so much and just be heartbroken thinking we don't want him anymore.

Please reassure me that his first time in a cattery will be ok, i've been crying myself to sleep every night as i just don't want to leave him but we have no choice.

Thanks  :-[

Link to CatChat