Author Topic: dont people see how wrong it is not to neuter?  (Read 6938 times)

ccmacey

Re: dont people see how wrong it is not to neuter?
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2006, 20:43:37 PM »
Yes I did, silly me. :doh:

Offline rianne22

• Kitten
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2006, 23:11:17 PM »
 :rofl: did you read it as "dont people see its wrong to neuter?" PMSL
Yea there are a lot of ignorant idiots out there who seem to think its prefectly fine to just let their cats wander with their ball-balls intact still and their females still fertile.
its amazing how people whinge about rabbits breeding in the wild like wild fire yet the local cats (owned cats) do exactly the same!!!!
like i said before....i wouldnt chuck my stallion out in a field with a load of mares and leave him to it lol! he would thoroughly enjoy it but i don't really think people would be very impressed!!!lol!!!
so he just stiks to going out with his little gelded shetland pony friend!!!

ccmacey

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2006, 17:52:44 PM »
HA HA, read the topic title wrong there. Yes Rebbecca I can think of 2 more: people simply cant be arsed or don't really care too much for their pet or others come to think of it. I would hate the thought of my male cat's going around getting other peoples cat's pregnant and spraying everywhere. All of my cat's have been done and they are fine, I also think people who stupidly let their animals out while they are in season are not responsible pet owners and therefore the kittens don't go to suitable homes. :(

And about the foil.... if you roll a piece of tin foil up into a ball the cat will play with it, I suppose it would be the same feeling? My vet told me to try foil to stop my cats scratching the sofa because they don't like the noise, didn't help though.

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2006, 17:32:13 PM »
Foil doesn't work.  I sprayed water on them, only had to do it three times last night instead of the usual million times :) Now all they do is look at the bottle of water, i'll keep it near me until they've stopped getting on the table.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2006, 08:20:20 AM »
well, apparently!.

If only it were that easy, perhaps it has worked for someone.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2006, 22:17:36 PM »
Kimberley, I read somewhere on a website that putting silver foil on work surfaces, tables etc is meant to discourage kitties from jumping up onto them, as they don't like the feeling of it beneath their paws. After a few attempts they soon realise and stop trying.........well, apparently!.......I haven't tried it myself yet, lol!  :sneaky:

I'll try foil Mimi  :thanks:

Offline rianne22

• Kitten
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2006, 21:57:19 PM »
 :wow: so many positive comments  ;)
i only said maybe not house cats and show cats so people did not jump down my throat about that if u c wat i mean? i totally agree ALL cats should/need to be neutered :)
one thing though...kimberly....thiose people are rather stupid arent they...the ones you say let their entire cats out because they can't come home pregnant?....NO their cats cant come home pregnant obviously but other peoples unspayed females can, just because of ignorance????don't they realise that?!  :'(
i am learning a lot of interesting facts here and 1 thing is 4 sure, whenn i next get my own cat it wil b from a rescue centre  ;D
 :thanks:

Offline Mimi (Mewg)

• Senior Cat
  • Phoebe, Nellie & Libby
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2006, 21:42:52 PM »
Kimberley, I read somewhere on a website that putting silver foil on work surfaces, tables etc is meant to discourage kitties from jumping up onto them, as they don't like the feeling of it beneath their paws. After a few attempts they soon realise and stop trying.........well, apparently!.......I haven't tried it myself yet, lol!  :sneaky:

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2006, 21:24:30 PM »
I know people with entire toms who let them out because they cannot come home pregnant. I'm getting mine done sometime in January before they start to go out because i don't want them wandering etc.

Oh as i'm here, does anyone know how i can stop my kittens from jumping onto my dining table? They get on the chairs then on the table.  At the moment i'm having to put the chairs on the table upside down whilst no one is at home as they are not yet jumping that high, but one day they will. 

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2006, 20:41:31 PM »
Presumably there isnt a bald patch for the male cats or is there?
I'd notice if somebody gave me back a neutered female with a big bald patch on her side!!
Of course, if they aren't microchipped and don't have a collar with a phone number on it, how were you not to know they were strays/ferrals?
Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2006, 16:47:11 PM »
oooh Ela was just thinking the same myself!
so many cats wander off for a few days - who knows what happens to them in that time - and if they wander in back through the cat flap who's to know who did what?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2006, 16:06:12 PM »
she had mammary cancer, and
We have  2 in at the moment one was found just about a year ago laying at the side of the road, she has some tumors removed but still has a few, she still has a quality life is enjoying what time she has left with one of the fosterers.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2006, 08:36:29 AM »
Just going along with Ela's comments - it truly isn't mean to spay housecats. I took on a 14yo last year who had never been spayed. Listening to her in heat was awful, but what was worse was the news that as she had never been spayed, she had mammary cancer, and due to other health issues we couldnt' treat it - she had been living on her own for a year, had a chance of a home with a loving owner, and didn't even manage 8 weeks in her new home due to it. And some cat registries are waking up to the health issues and allowing neutered cats to compete in certain competitions.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2006, 04:44:57 AM »
know it feels real mean to castrate/spay but i honestly do believe it is for the best.....there are some cases when they dont need to be but that really is show cats and house cats i guess

It is just as important to have indoor cats neutered/spayed as it helps to prevent certain forms of cancer and also life threatening diseases that even indoor cats can get.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 04:42:10 AM »
but i cant obviously

Why not, I bet they would not even notice the males that had been 'done' and as previously stated it would be a sham if the females disappeared one by one, wouldn't it.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 04:39:20 AM »
she had never been in before and i have not seen her since???
she probably pregnant again....how can we stop this???? even if i do get another can and spay her she will still be harrassed by the entire males and even though she wont be able to get pregnant it cant be nice. would she still get harrassed?

What a shame it would be if the cat comes in again and then it disappears.

Perhaps you will see the why neuter on my site www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk and print it off and hand it to your neighbours.

Offline rianne22

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2006, 00:22:32 AM »
 :evillaugh: yvonne sweetie i was not meaning t to sound rude or anything ok? just to clarify that. i just misread your message to me  :innocent: i am a numb nuts!!!!!<---------( :rofl: PMSL how appropriate for the topic of neutering!!!!!)
 :thanks:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 00:24:04 AM by rianne22 »

Offline rianne22

• Kitten
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2006, 00:18:03 AM »
 :hug: lol  :rofl:
how dumb do i feel now lol!!
well i think i just assumed eveyone thought i was being one of thoses people i hate...the 1s that think they know EVERYTHING lol!  :shy:
but i think she actually just meant, as u say, that there is not many people who don't share the same views!  :innocent:
 that must be a wonderful feeling to know you have done your bit sweetie  :shy:
how can i make my local town more aware of the importance, without offending anyone? i tried talking to the portuguese family but they seem to be quite rude >:( and not really interested. i have had a bad experience with one before now when i was walking home late at night and that is enough to put me off of going near any of them for fear of them following me etc so now i just dont talk to them.  :-[
i really feel like picking the cats that come in my garden (about 7 at any one time!) and just taking them to the vet and gettin the job done but i cant obviously  :doh:
i just feel so sad and we live so close to the sea i can only imagine the sad stories and torment the poor unwanted kittens will embrace this xmas  :'(
i just pray their is some way for me to get the message across as it has been bothering me for a while now but i started thinking i was the only one with this opinion?! :(
i am so happy so many of you agree with me  :wow:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2006, 00:11:35 AM »
Hiya Rianne

Def sure Yuonne Didn't mean anything to upset you. Like all of us we totally agree with you 200% and we get frustrated like you do at peeps who don't see it's bad not to Neuter/spay same as all of us!

It's a good topic and i agree that the RSPCA being the biggest advetiser, should stress this more in their advertising. I reckon there are lots of peeps out there who don't know it is best to neuter and the reason why etc.

I only did it when i had my 1st babes cause my family did. Just thought that was the norm!!! But now know that it isn't!!

Tan
x

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 23:14:13 PM »
It's good to have the topic brought up every now and again though.
I got my cat neutered about 2 weeks ago now and every time I see that bald patch I feel really guilty. I put my little (mostly indoor) kitten through a general anaesthetic, the discomfort of the post-operative period and the misery of an Elizabethan collar.
When people on this website start talking about the importance of neutering and all the unwanted cats, it reminds me that I did the right thing.
Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 22:56:17 PM »
Hi Rianne

I think Yvonne meant we all agree with you and that its unlikely that there are any members on here who haven't already been converted to your point of view.  Just a figure of speech I think.  :)

Offline rianne22

• Kitten
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 22:51:02 PM »
 :scared: by the way i was not stating that u were being mean to me  :rofl:

Offline rianne22

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 22:46:54 PM »
 :-: huh? preaching to te unwaty?  :'(
i don't feel i am preaching in a bad way to be fair  ;)
try tellin that to the rspca and the abandoned kittens and c if they agree  ;)
well the 3rd is not too far away is it?  :shy:
i know it feels real mean to castrate/spay but i honestly do believe it is for the best.....there are some cases when they dont need to be but that really is show cats and house cats i guess  :innocent: but not the ones who are outside all the time roaming the streets. unless u can stand with them the whole time so they dont mate  :tired: or if you are a breeded but for goodness sake how many cat breeders does the world need? there are so many poor kittens dumped everyday and i bet it'll be even more this xmas  :'(
it really is so sad as al it takes is a simple op.
we have always paid out for ours to be done....even the females. every1 assumes the males are the problem but it should be both sexes neutered
anyway its only MY personal opinion and every1 is entitled to their own opinion (shame the cats don't get a say really though)
i have not got a personal vendetta against any1 and i don't need any abusive messages towards me on this thread. :thanks:

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 14:17:43 PM »
Poor little Spike...  :doh:

Actually, I was travelling back from the National on the tube with a chap and his daughter and their Maine Coon. It was this cat's last show as a kitten, and he was going for the snip just two days later...

Ouch...

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 12:50:15 PM »
Rianne,

I have just noticed your thread and I fear that you are definitely preaching to the converted here.  I have actually just come off the phone to my Vet appointment for the 3rd January, they could not fit him in any earlier, my poor little Spike is going to get his nuts crushed.

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2006, 12:37:18 PM »
PMSL Ian  :rofl:

Rianne, have you tried talking to the portuguese family? If they are new to the UK they may not know how easy it is to get the cats done. Explain about the health benefits, if   they care they will listen. If they cant afford it, refer them to the CP for vouchers.

Offline rianne22

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 22:09:14 PM »
 :Crazy: my god thanku soooo much u guys i cant believe you all have the same feelings on this matter as i do  ;D
i thought everyone would pounce on me in anger  :evillaugh:
i did have cats but i moved out i have had them all my life. i had a black and white male called sam. he looked like the felix cat but sadly he died at 13 from cancer of the liver  :( , a blue tortoise shell female called misty who died at 17 from a heart defect, Barney a black very wild cat, he actually disappeared and despiteall the notices, call to vets etc he never returned....i think i know what must have happened  :-[ he was 10, and last but not least was Rosie my silver tabby, she is really cute and chubby she lives with my cousin as i fell pregnant and felt she would be better with somone who had the time for her, i still see her she is so adorable! :Luv:
all the cats apart from sam, were rescues.
i have all the neighbours cats come in my garden now its so funny!like a blimmin sanctuary!
one is looking very sad though, she is a very dark grey almost blue siamese type.... she has a very saggy tummy and lots of teats, she is very bery skinny and i think the portuguese family across from me own her....and a male exactly the same as her....he is entire and i feel he is the brother and the father of the kittens....i have never seen the kittens???? when she came in my house she was very brave as she is very shy of people... she must have been exhausted all she wanted to do was have a cuddle and go to sleep? she had never been in before and i have not seen her since???
she probably pregnant again....how can we stop this???? even if i do get another can and spay her she willl still be harrassed by the entire males and even though she wont be able to get pregnant it cant be nice. would she still get harrassed?

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 20:13:13 PM »
Little Sid disagrees. He's without balls but says if he still had them he'd be causing havoc in Docklands. He's a love them and leave them kind of cat though which is why he's had his balls removed. Don't tell him but I ate his balls with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 14:32:58 PM »
I'm also from East Anglia (East Cambs) and it is the same out here. One of the issues is that some of the older and more traditionally-minded farmers are unhappy to neuter because the think it makes a cat less effective in the pest control department. We also have our share of problem areas where people just can't be bothered no matter what.

Either way, it is something that drives the co-ordinator of the local branch of CP up the wall, especially with those who refuse the neutering vouchers... The consequence of this is the large number of unwanted cats and kittens dumped by the side of the road. She has a beautiful little smoke tortie called Muzz, who was found in a cardboard box by the side of the A10, another member has a lovely mackrel tabby called Chester, who was found in the middle of the A11...

It doesn't cost the earth to neuter, and if you rehome from a rescue, it is already done for you. I have a girl cat and a boy cat and aren't I glad I'm not up to my ears in kittens as a result...

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 11:59:54 AM »
anyway we have homes lined up for the kittens so it's not a problem.

I wonder where  most of the cats we take into care come from? Oh! I know those so  called good homes.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 11:17:58 AM »
And a huge percentage just couldnt care less

Offline Marla

• Adult Cat
    • www.kittycollars.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 11:09:18 AM »
Some more:

I want to let my cat experience being a mother.

I want my children to see birth / new life, and anyway we have homes lined up for the kittens so it's not a problem.

(Not my opinions by the way!)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 11:08:43 AM »
One lady said she wanted to give her child the pleasures of seeing  a cat giving birth, I asked her if she would like her child to see a cat/kitten put to sleep because there were too many

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 10:25:28 AM »
Know what you mean. I know someone who has a cat that's probably around ten and his owner has only just got him neutered last year. Her reason? She wanted him to "grow to his full size." Now that, I could just about deal with, but she felt it was acceptable to let him out until the time she saw fit to neuter him, the girl really hasn't got a clue. And I've just found out her and her partner are having a baby.....great! A small person they can teach unrealistic logic to!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 07:52:42 AM »
Think you have covered everything there Becca. I still think that CP and RSPCA need to start doing adverts going on about the benefits of this rather than the cruelty ones currently done - if there were less animals being born, there is less chance of cruelty, and we may eventually have less cats to try and find homes for.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 01:35:40 AM »
There seem to be a few causes of it.

Some people are scared for their pets, they are the 'best' ones because they will usually be talked round their fear of the operation eventually.

Some people have indoor pets and think that means they don't need to be neutered.

Some people think they can't afford it, or honestly can't afford it.

Some people think it's wrong. They are stupid.

Some people think they want to breed their pet. They're mostly stupid too.

Some people honestly don't know that it's better to spay or neuter. They're fairly rare.

Some people think their pet needs to remain entire for some reason. They're nearly always wrong.

Can anyone think of any more?
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 01:34:36 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Most peeps here would agree with you especially those involved in rescue

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 01:25:09 AM »
Hiya Rianne Welcome to Purrs  :welcome:

Ohhh how i wish all people in the world thought like you!!! You won't find anyone on here that dosen't try and get everyone to Spray and Neuter their cats along with every animal rescue. There would be so much less cruelty and poor needy cats in the world if people did. Some don't understand that it's the best thing for their cat. Some just don't care.
You will get alot of agreement to this thread believe me!!

Sounds like you have horses? Great love Horses, love all animals  :Luv:
Love to hear more about yours. Do you have cats too?

« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 01:27:22 AM by Tan »

Offline rianne22

• Kitten
dont people see how wrong it is not to neuter?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 00:43:20 AM »
hi you guys i am new to this forum....i don't mean to insult anyone out there who doesnt want to neuter/spay their cats its just that where i live (suffolk, uk) my area is inundated with so many tomcats roaming around and it really frustrates me that they are still entire. the amount of unwanted kittens there are out there could be halved surely if there werent such ignorant people out there letting their cats roam free to mate with any female they wish to....and if she hasnt been spade that can mean the owner of her is suddenyl shocked to see their cat getting very fat and finding out she is pregnant.which can lead to them dumping the poor little kittens in bins/rivers etc etc.
i wouldnt let my stallion into a field with a load of mares now would i? that would just be silly so why on earth do people allow tom cats and unspayed females to roam around breeding such gorgeous little things some people dont want.
it costs the animal welfare societies enough to keep all the dumped kittens, and to spay/neuter the ones they do have. so surely if you cant afford the operation dont get the cat?

Link to CatChat