Author Topic: Plants, Water Butts & Anti Freeze - A TIMELY WARNING  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Plants, Water Butts & Anti Freeze - A TIMELY WARNING
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 11:28:44 AM »
It was well over a year ago when we all had the advice and I printed in our Newsletter and it minded me to put advice on our site.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 11:18:43 AM »
I'm glad that they have taken it up as well Ela.

The origins of the article I used were elsewhere.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 10:45:37 AM »
I think this is so important I am going to email all our members about this, but can anyone remember the article on lillys and how bad they are for cats?

There was an article on this on the mag that CPHQ send out to all co-ordinates and Committee members.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 13:52:38 PM »
Hi Sharon,

I've emailed you a safety at Christmas sheet for your animals. It is the best I have seen so I copied it. It is not my own work.

To everyone else,

If anyone else would like  a copy please email me at Mognificent7@aol.com

If you find it useful, which I am sure you will, please remember a little something for your local rescue this Christmas.

:where:

If you run a national rescue, make it a new year's resolution to get to know and assist some of the local independent rescues. We are all on the same side.  :hug:

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 08:25:51 AM »
I think this is so important I am going to email all our members about this, but can anyone remember the article on lillys and how bad they are for cats?

Does anyone remember seeing a good article about "hidden dangers of Christmas for cats" I seem to remember something on Cat Chat or maybe FAB but not sure.

Is there a cure for antifreeze poisioning in cats?

Ta very much
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 00:03:04 AM »
Thanks Beanie!
Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 23:27:07 PM »
We have a problem with our lilly. Gizzy keeps grabing it, biting it, draging it!! Poor lilly  :'( We have started to find it in the lounge now after being dragged through the cat flap in the night.
 :owwww: :sigh:

It's ok it's the plastic one from the pond. Hee hee

Sorry back to very very serious warining from Beanie & Gill. PLease take note of their posts cause would never want that to happen to any cat. :(

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 23:16:25 PM »
I very nearly bought a poinsetta in Homebase yesterday but had an inkling I read something about them being poisonous - I bought another hopefully safe plant instead. I always had Lilys in my dining room but have stopped now - they are my favourite flowers but not worth the risk. I had better check the plant, athough it's not a dropping one and it's on a jardiniere so hopefully the cats won't jump up  :scared:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 22:58:34 PM »
Hi Isabel,

Roses are fine.

For a definitive link see the attched link

http://www.fabcats.org/hiddendangersofplants.html

Offline isabel

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 19:21:28 PM »
What cut flowers *are* safe for me to have in the house? My little one is very fond of taste first, think later!
Are roses okay?
Give blood! They'll give you biscuits...

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 17:16:07 PM »
Gosh.  :o  I  never realised poinsettias were poisonous and I'm supposed to have read the list of poisonous plants thoroughly.  Better read it again.  I've had a poinsettia every year for goodness knows how many Christmases and it usually lasts well into the summer.  Guess I've just been lucky.  Thanks for that Beanie.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 13:43:11 PM »
To add to Beanies timely warning, also remember that some windscreen washer stuff also has anti freeze in it............and dont forget about those dam lilies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Plants, Water Butts & Anti Freeze - A TIMELY WARNING
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 13:30:01 PM »
With the festivities looming, cold spell not far away and the rainy season upon us a timely reminde:

Plants

Please Please Please be aware that some plants are toxic to cats and animals. At this time of year the shops are full of Poinsettas and they look great. Please don't tempt fate and buy one for yourself or a friend if they have cats or other animlas. They are poisonous. Whilst, unlike the items below, not all cats are attracted to bite the leaves, it is too much of a risk as people often find out about their cats and poison too late. Don't let that be you.

Water Butts

Please Please  Please don't leave the lid off. Cats, and other animals, look to drink from them. If they loose their footing they can simply drown. This is not an old wives tale. An elderly friend of ours is normally extremely careful but didn't check that the lid was on after high winds last month. His cat was eventually found having drowned in the barrel. Some weeks later, to compound his grief, his wife died after a l;ong illness, although that is another story. Local Independent charity Croydon Animal Samaritans have also highlighted the problem in their latest newsletter.

Anti  Freeze

Please Please Please keep bottles/tins, etc safely locked away and as far away from your cats as possible. Cats are attracted by the taste and the outcome is fatal. Death is sadly often inevitable unless urgent and immediate veterinary help is sought. You then have to rely on them having an antedote. I believe they use Ethanol. 

Try to check that your car water tanks don't leak on the pavement, etc as this can attract thirsty cat.

Link to CatChat