Author Topic: Cat Allergies  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Cat Allergies
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 16:30:20 PM »
Kimberley, the Petalcleanse isnt a spray (or it wasnt when I was using it) its a lotion in quite a large bottle, so it should last you a fair old while. All you have to do with it is put some onto a cloth and wipe the cat all over with the cloth, then towel dry - blotting, not rubbing. A bonus is that the cats coat looks and feels lovely afterwards too! I don't think it would interefere with the Frontline which you put on the skin not the fur.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 08:00:44 AM »
Dawn, I find it cheaper to get my antihistamines on prescription, but my docs do give me 3 months worth in one go.IF you have a lot of meds, it works out cheaper to buy a pre-oayment certificate.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 00:31:40 AM »
Does my daughter have to stop having the kittens on her lap etc?

Perhaps it would be wise, also please remind her to always wash her hands after she has touched the kittens, I know many of us with allergies are guilty of touching the cat and then our faces which can cause problems.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 08:49:09 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 18:13:30 PM »
Hi Kimberley, this does sound like an allergy (speaking from experience of allergies I've had).
Without being disrespectful to Cheesecat, please do not use over the counter medication for your little girl. She should see the GP especially as it seems to involve her chest (Coughing etc). He can prescribe antihistamines and if necessary an inhaler for her chest.

Hope this helps
LIZ X

Thank you all for your replies.  She is having an allergy test tomorrow morning at the doctors.  She has developed a rash on her chest (the kittens sleep on and around her chest area)

I've talked to the vet, they weren't much help. they just said see what the pet shop has.  The pet shop had no idea what i was going on about.  I'm going to try that spray from Petremedies.  The thing is whether i can afford it on top of the Frontline etc.  Does the spray interfere with the frontline?

Does my daughter have to stop having the kittens on her lap etc?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 16:43:32 PM »
She should see the GP especially as it seems to involve her chest (Coughing etc). He can prescribe antihistamines and if necessary an inhaler for her chest.

Not a bad idea, but be wary of "get rid of the cat" doctors.  Unfortunately that's often the response from doctors whenever allergies are suspected.  It would be a good idea to get an allergy test to be sure it's the cat that she's allergic to, then look at your options from there.  I've heard good things about petal cleanse too, although I believe it can take a few weeks to start working so don't be put off if it doesn't seem to work straight away.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 12:28:01 PM »
Loratadine IS an antihistamine, lol its what i'm prescribed but its cheaper (and the same strength) over the counter. Opticrom is also what they prescribe you for itchy allergy eyes.

Then again, children get free prescriptions don't they? lucky butter  :rofl:

I have 2x inhalers, a spacer, allergy cream to pick up from the chemist but I am putting it off because I can't afford them!!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 12:29:49 PM by Cheesecat »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Catwhisperer

• Adult Cat
  • LUVERLY LUNA !
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 08:56:54 AM »
Hi Kimberley, this does sound like an allergy (speaking from experience of allergies I've had).
Without being disrespectful to Cheesecat, please do not use over the counter medication for your little girl. She should see the GP especially as it seems to involve her chest (Coughing etc). He can prescribe antihistamines and if necessary an inhaler for her chest.

Hope this helps
LIZ X
LOVE IS  -  FURRY FACE RUBS !

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 08:40:07 AM »
You can buy hayfever/allergy tablets at this time of year for cheaper as its not hayfever season (I tend to stock up as I have hayfever AND a cat allergy) Tesco have them for 89p a packet, sometimes you can get them 49p for the same thing in a different box (10mg Loratadine) thats what I find works for me.

Opticrom can be bought quite cheaply for itchy, runny eyes (eye drops)

I also use herbal tablets when I am bad - they are quite cheap, you can take as many as you like in a day (up to every half hour) and they work well too, esp with the loratadine tablets too.
http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/alternative_medicines/medicines/n/new%20era/new_era_hayfever_tablets.htm

I am a mine of allergy information as I have had pet/hayfever allergies since forever. lol
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 19:00:55 PM »
Yep, I can vouch for Petalcleanse - it really works!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 18:43:10 PM »
www.petremedies.co.uk

Try Petal Cleanse  www.petremedies.co.uk
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kimberley

• Adult Cat
Cat Allergies
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 18:25:20 PM »
Not long after we got our two kittens, my daughter started coughing and her eyes watering with hay fever type symptons. Four weeks down the line and she hasn't stopped coughing and she now has Laryngitis and the sniffles, runny nose etc.  Could she have a cat allergy? If she is still like it after the weekend i'm going to ask for her to have an allergy test to find out.

If she has what can we do to help and keep our kittens?

Link to CatChat