Author Topic: Can I have your opinions please?!  (Read 2889 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Can I have your opinions please?!
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 17:56:20 PM »
i would have thought it strange to charge for a ga ontop of neutering  costs..but then the neuter price seems pretty low anyway and also if he's gonna be on gas ga for longer with the xrays then i guess to pay abit more is fair enough.

the 2 x xray quote will be to take 2 different  views/x ray plates which is fair enough i guess.

by the way when i got cody at 4 1/2 mnths he was fine, then 2 wks later he had strange intermittant lameness in the hind leg / hip...vet didnt find anything or give treatment but said if i still noticed it to take him in to get xrayed but i felt uneasy doing this as it was nothing too obvious..months later its totally fine and i'd say i noticed the on / off lameness for around 8 wks !!!

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 17:27:50 PM »
How's little Barney now?

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 12:16:35 PM »
Also, re: the daycare fee - my vet does this, he breaks every surgery down to the smallest detail so you can see what you're paying for, rather than just quoting one fee.
I think the new practice standards scheme (or whatever it's called) requires vets to break it down like that, which is why it sometimes looks like you're paying for something you never used to - it used to just be included in a single lump sum.

Dont' stress about it, Kezza.  I'd be inclined to wait a few days and see if the medicines prescribed seem to be working, then go back to the vet and discuss it.  Don't worry about telling them up front you simply can't afford to pay for everything they've recommended - they'll be used to that as veterinary treatment doesn't come cheap.  then you can decide with your vet whether to wait a while or whether the x-rays etc are really needed.  And then you can discuss the money side of things and hopefully come to some sort of arrangement with them.  Maybe they will agree to you just paying part of the treatment and waiting for the insurance for the rest.  I think they appreciate it when people are honest and upfront about not being able to pay rather than have the treatment then say there's a problem paying.  An alternative is as Tab says - do you have a relative with a credit card who would be prepared to lend you the money until you can claim it back?

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 11:45:31 AM »
Don't put yourself down - and don't be scared to get a second opinion if you don't trust your vet. My old vet surgery had a lot of locums so we pretty much had a different vet each time and there was definitely a sliding scale in terms of competence and empathy.

Also, re: the daycare fee - my vet does this, he breaks every surgery down to the smallest detail so you can see what you're paying for, rather than just quoting one fee. The insurance companies seem to appreciate it. I'd definitely recommend taking him to a different vet if you're worried though - if your current one is decent he shouldn't mind. Ask friends & family to recommend one...

Good luck with your baby, I'm sure he'll be fine. Cats are amazingly resilient creatures. :hug:
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 09:49:48 AM »
The virus that causes limpy leg syndrome as I call it is caused by Calicivirus. I think you can safely rule that out as it begins with one leg at first and then changes to a different leg.
Think you really should get Barney to rest the leg as much as possible, I am suprised your vet hasn`t advised cage rest for a few days and wait and see if xrays are needed then.
Dont be miserable about things life is far too short, you dont sound like a bad mum to me to the contrary you come across as very caring mum. Hope all is well soon.

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »
((((((((Kezza and Barney)))))))

Im sorry I have no idea what to suggest about the treatment. All I can say is do you trust the vet not to be just making money from you? I ask that as my first vet did various things to my and my friends cats and I never felt they were being totally honest. My current vet though I would totally trust.

As to the money side I have to pay the vets for treatment and if its something large I take a signed insurance form with me and leave it with them to send off. I do usually put it on a c/card though which you have said you dont have. I dont suppose you have friends or family who have a card who would be willing to pay and let you pay them back when the insurance comes through do you? If it comes down to it and you are totally desparate I have a card which is interest free at the moment which I got for emergencys  ;)

Take care
love
Tab

Offline Kezza

• Adult Cat
  • Barney
    • Barney Piccies
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 09:06:21 AM »

Thanks for your comments, I am so miserable this morning as I'm stressed out, hardly slept I feel like such a bad mum :'( :'( :'(

I don't have that kind of money to pay out like that especially not this time of year and I have no credit cards  :'( I thought by getting pet insurance I would be safe from having to pay out on things like this kind of like when you have to use your private medical insurance.

Barney was running around like a mad man last night not a limp in sight and this morning he is still the same, not holding his paw up or limping... I just can't make my mind up what to do.

Could the anti-inflamortary drug really of helped?!

I think I am going to cancel the x-rays etc for tomorrow and give it a few more days with this treatment stuff I have to pick up tonight, OH says that seeing as he is in no pain at all he can't have broken anything & feels that x-rays aren't going to show anything.

They told us the blood test thing was an option but they would like us to have it done, but I just couldn't understand why I would be paying for annaesthetic for an x-ray when he was already going to be under for the castration.

I asked the vet about this kitten virus that Ela mentioned and she didn't seem to make much comment on that side of things.

I just have this feeling that whatever I decide is going to be wrong.

Thanks for listening and your advice. :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 07:43:49 AM »
Gill, the reason for the radio analysis being on twice is cos they will be taking 2 plates - seems similar to what I paid for 2 xrays for Pebbles actually. Would query the hospitalisation though, seems odd, but I have paid more for cats to stay at the vets all day. Pre-anaesthetic bloods are normally optional, and while they can be useful, it is up to you whether you think it is necessary in such a young cat. I would query the anaesthetic too, it doesn't take that long to do 2 x-rays so shouldn't increase the anaesthetic that much. The insurance side is normal, and some can take so long to pay back, so I can understand vets not allowing direct payments.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 07:22:53 AM »
I sometimes wonder how people sleep at night.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 07:18:52 AM »
helps if you can ask them if they would consider that as an option for payment. Plead the Crimbo card on them.

They know who they can trust, the people that let them down are more often than not the fur coat no knickers type. Although sometimes we have lent people money for their vet bill and they have sworn on their cats life they will pay back  if we are lucky we many get a couple of £2s then after we have not  received anything from them for a couple of weeks, I may phone them and all they say is well I'm on benefits I should not have to pay back and most don't.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 07:07:52 AM »
I have experienced vets who prefer payment up front. When Lexy had her surgery though, the vet said that as the cost was so high, if I wanted to pay a small amount as a gesture of good faith and they would then claim the whole lot from the insurers and refund me what I had paid once they go their money.

Of a near £2500 bill, I paid £150 up front and they did exactly that. Of course that was July and I only got the money end of last month from them as the insurers were delayed.

It helps if you can ask them if they would consider that as an option for payment. Plead the Crimbo card on them.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 04:15:19 AM »
I thought they would deal with them direct so I wouldn't have to pay

At many vets nowadays you have to pay and then claim back, one of the reasons is that the insurance company sends you the cheque and many people then do not pay the vet back. Although Some insurance companies will make the cheque out to the vet if you ask, but that means the vet waiting for the money.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 00:10:32 AM »
Now she said that it might cost more depending on what they find and budget for up to £300.... Should I be charged anaesthetic when I am paying for him to be neutered?! The vet said they wanted to do both together and I thought it wouldn't be an extra cost.

When I read the quote bit I though what is that all about, of course you should not pay extra, I have not heard of Hospitalization for a day patient either. A normal neuter/spay is a day patient but one does not pay hospitalization for that and if you do it is included in the charge.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 22:01:53 PM »
i had a simular experience with my old Vet with Rio. They were saying he would need to come in and have this and that also to bring his brother Ochi in for company for him. Didn't sound right to me so i had another opinion at a different vets and they were great. They helped Rio in one apt and cured his running bum. The old vets i had at least 6 apts to try and to stop running bum and them giving loads of meds and telling me to come back if not cleared the next day.

No harm in a second opinion!
x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 21:49:06 PM »
Susanne is right.

I was just wondering why the radio... analylis is there twice? Also as its a kitten why is there a need to do the blood screen.

The hospitalization for a day patient sounds crazy, never have paid this and you need ask them whether the gen anasthetic cost is in the nuetering fee.

Personally I think this is all outrageous.

The only reason for an xray would be if it is broken cos it does not show up a strain.

I seem to remember Ela saying that cats and kittens can have a virus of infection that causes this,,,,,,,,,,,,,it maybe worth while PMing her and asking her more about this and what the test and treatment is.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 21:34:04 PM »
I can't really comment on the prices as I don't know, but it is normal to have to pay up front and then claim it back on insurance.  Some vets will deal direct with insurers but many have had bad experiences and been left with unpaid bills so insist you pay up front.  I have to pay my vets up front and then claim it back.  If that's going to be a problem best discuss it with them beforehand and see if you can come to some agreement with them.  They  may be flexible if you're a regular and you can prove you have insurance.

Like I said - not sure on the prices.  If the anaesthetic is just for neutering it should be included in the price (although that is pretty cheap for neutering).  I don't know how much xrays etc cost.  It will also depend on where you live.

Offline Kezza

• Adult Cat
  • Barney
    • Barney Piccies
Can I have your opinions please?!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 21:07:54 PM »

Hi,

My kitten Barney I mentioned him last week he was limping on his front leg and the vet recommended rest for 5 days...

Well I went back today for his check up and this morning he jumped down from the side and started to limp again (for the past 5 days he hasn't limped but held his paw up).

The vet has given him a good look over he still doesn't feel in any pain and wonders if he may of  just sprained it but suggested an x-ray.

Now I he was given an anti-flamortary injection that lasts for 24 hrs and then he's got to take this fluid which is tastes like honey for 4 days which I believe is like an anti iinflamortary drug (need to pick this up tomorrow).

I nearly fell through the floor when they gave me a quote which they have told me that I will have to foot the bill and then claim back through my insurers.... I thought they would deal with them direct so I wouldn't have to pay...

Anyway this is the quote they have given me...

Prenaneasthetic blood screen £25.52
General annaesthetic (initial) £39.31
Cat Neutering £24.99
Radiographical analysis £39.22
Radiographical analysis £31.17
Hospitailsation for day patient £5.92
 VAT29.07
TOTAL £195.20

Now she said that it might cost more depending on what they find and budget for up to £300.... Should I be charged anaesthetic when I am paying for him to be neutered?! The vet said they wanted to do both together and I thought it wouldn't be an extra cost.

Also I am so worried as I really can't foot an over £200 bill out right, I thought the whole point of having pet insurance is that it saves you having to pay the bill?!

Now I have come home this evening and Barney isn't limping or holding his paw totally  back to normal.... what do I do?!

Any advice I would really appreciate as I am so worried about all these costs mounting up when he apprears to be back to normal again!

Link to CatChat