Author Topic: Aaargh - My poor Christmas tree...  (Read 3644 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: Aaargh - My poor Christmas tree...
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 16:06:20 PM »
I sincerely hope that pines aren't poisonous as Fred seems to think our 8 foot tree is lunch!!

"If you can’t survive the season without the smell of pine, you can choose from many sprays with which to treat an artificial tree. A real tree has built-in hazards. The tree tar that seeps out of the wood can be toxic, and the pine needles themselves, if swallowed, can cause intestinal problems, or can puncture the tender flesh in a cat’s mouth. Those tree life extenders you add to the water can also prove toxic to your kitties." FROM: http://absolutelycats.tripod.com/22Christmas.html
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 15:53:22 PM »
I sincerely hope that pines aren't poisonous as Fred seems to think our 8 foot tree is lunch!!

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 18:24:40 PM »

I still don't know what to do for the best real or fake?

I'd never have a real one with cats as I'd be too worried about them eating it (I seem to recall that pines are poisonous), drinking the water with additives in it or getting pine needles stuck in their paws. Fake every time for me.

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 18:22:46 PM »
That's a good point, we usually put some pressies under the tree in the lead up to Christmas.  Guess that won't be a good move as Maddi & Mia will wreck them as they love paper & ripping it up!
:xmas 4:

Will need to think of a plan B  :Dont know:

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 22:21:04 PM »
I haven't put mine up yet, but the antique glass baubles will be staying on the loft this year again. Pearl I think was too overwhelmed by Christmas last year to bother with the tree, but I just want to make sure that she doesn't wreck it... The little minx is too nosey by half...  :Luv:

Toby just chews the bottom branches. I have a fake tree and in the eight years I've had Toby, the tree has gotten ever more crinkled. He seems to think that I put the thing up entirely for his benefit!  ;D

What is more popular are the ribbons and bows on the prezzies...  :doh:

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2006, 16:46:08 PM »
I'm also going down the no tree this year route..........2 little girls of 7mths sounds a recipe for disaster to me!!  I can imagine them chasing each other up and down it.  Especially as Jet likes nothing more than bringing in twigs and small tree branches from the garden.

You've got to love them but don't they drive you insane.....
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 15:16:33 PM »
jaspers true and deep love for chocolate means one thing we know for sure is no tree chocolates!!!! just crossing fingers the rest will survive, but have a feeling he'll be on supervised only visits!!! bless!!!

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 14:19:41 PM »
Tommy is 7 months and loves it.  Maisy is 9 months (suffering a slight bit of depression at the moment from wearing her collar, see my other post!) and isnt really interested.  We dare not put the lights on it this year!
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline Emma S

• Adult Cat
  • Meg and Darcey
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 14:05:10 PM »
Last year was a nightmare with the tree. Our girls were only 3 months old and so had great fun climbing the tree, pulling the baubles off, pulling the lights off, pulling the branches off...

We the took them up my mums, who had a real tree - and they proceeded to do the same thing to their tree...as well as get into the base of water and play about in it  :tired:

My OH reckons they will be less work this year as they are older. I am not convinced...
Love Emma & the girls - Meg and Darcey xxx

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 14:01:42 PM »
AH blesss em!!

Normally have this silly little fake thing but no i wanna a big one so the boys can play in it   :yayyy: :xmas 5::rofl: :rofl:

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 13:47:49 PM »
My fake tree went up at 3pm on Saturday and fell down with the help of Tommy at 9 am Monday morning!  He climbs to the top (6 ft), chews the branches and plays with the hangings chocolate bells and the balls!  I know it will not be standing when I get home today.  He knows it is naughty, he stops, looks at me then pounces!!!
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline Amy

• Adult Cat
  • Minty & Toffee
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 16:03:59 PM »
Hmmm this is my biest worry with two boisterous little boys!!
I still don't know what to do for the best real or fake?
Its all too much to think about!
Xx

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 14:24:47 PM »
My tree will be going up on December 22nd when it will be safe from Bilbo (Tigger is very well behaved and I don't think she'll touch it)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 14:23:18 PM »
The year before last i gave up - with 4 kittens aged 8wks the tree lasted a day !

Last year was abit better - i put it up and it was back down with a couple of days

So to be honest i am not looking forward to trying this year - i might give it ago but i cant seeing it lasting too long !!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 14:05:11 PM »
My new tree has been standing there since last week and now the lights are on and some baubles.............everything seems to be OK cept for Ducha who thinks he can eat it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as I know the other 3 show no interest in it vut Misa likesa all the boxes and bags that have emerged. ;D

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 12:54:10 PM »
I put up my new tree yesterday - me and my sister spent two hours doing it and it looks fab - it might sound cruel but the cats are not allowed in the lounge now while me or my bf are not there to make sure they are not at the tree - I am not having the tree on the floor more than it was up like last year!
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 12:46:31 PM »
We last had a christmas tree with baubles about 4 years ago and after rebuilding it am and pm for the whole of December and still looking for baubles!

We changes to fibre optic trees and the kids love them - so easy to put back up lift in one motion and pop back in the base, looks pretty to and easily sorted and they can't remove the branches!

We are up to 3 trees and 37 cats!!!

Good luck with the redecoration! ;D
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 23:13:22 PM »
I redecorated my tree about 4 times last year, and then only had 3 cats. Ive now got 4 cats so maybe the tree wouldnt be a good idea, it drives me crazy picking all of the baubbles up.

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 23:03:42 PM »
LOL Rhona.  I've just spent the afternoon explaining to my sister why I won't be having a tree this year with the three bengal boys running around.  As usual she thinks I'm over egging it but your post has defo confirmed it.  NO TREE FOR ME!

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
Aaargh - My poor Christmas tree...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 22:53:55 PM »
As last year's 'Festive Season' seemed to go far too quickly we made a decision to put up our Christmas tree early this year, so up it went yesterday.  We knew Maddi & Mia would be interested in it, but didn't realise they would wreck it quite so quickly  :'(.  The baubles are constantly being pulled off & there are big branches lying around the Living Room.  By the time we get to Christmas, our wee tree will be bald!  Och well, that's kittens for you  :givein:

Link to CatChat