Author Topic: how many missing cats are pts ?  (Read 7563 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: how many missing cats are pts ?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 22:09:24 PM »
I agree entirely.  The thing that annoys me is that people often call out the RSPCA to "help" a stray I'm sure if they knew that the animals are often just taken back to the van and PTS a lot less people would call them out.  Anyway don't want to get on another RSPCA rant.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 22:04:33 PM »
Just to reassure people CP's policy is that we don't put a cat down unless it is on a vet's advice and the cat is extremely unwell and is suffering. I've been with our branch for 4 years now and I can safely say we have only had to put a handful of cats down even in those circumstances and we all shed a few tears on the rare occasion it happens. We've had some cats that you wouldn't have thought would make it but they've surprised us and gone onto new homes.We just keep them for however long it takes to find them homes and as far as I know that is national policy too. Our latest guidelines are that we can't even rehome a cat until we have had it at least two weeks. Sadly I think RSPCA policy is different.

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 22:01:53 PM »
Mmmm well that really worries me too . Maybe we should bring some pressure to bear to press for some legislation .
I cannot believe it is legal to pts someones pet, (stray or not) if anyone of us pts a stray cat we found we would probably be prosecuted by RSPCA

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 21:51:09 PM »
Very good idea Nick.  Of course this would mean organisations like the RSPCA would have to strat releasing figures on how many "strays" or pick-ups they are destroying.  Can't see them being very forthcomng with such information some how.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
how many missing cats are pts ?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 21:28:46 PM »
I was looking through Ron's lost & found site and I was amazed how many cats have gone missing in and around Brighton this year.

I was suddenly struck with the thought that many of these cats may have been found and pts by RSPCA PDSA or CPS  or local vets.

Do any of these bodies take a picture of those strays they pts ?  If they did it would give some distraught pet owners some closure at least. I know that lots of cats are taken in by neighbours some leave the area some die and are never found, many are rta's and some may be picked up by people and we don't want to think about what happens to them. Some must be pts by the above charities

I wonder if it would be possible to start a national register to record cats pts by registered bodies ?  I would volunteer to help create a site and collect and collate info in my area . If we all help we should be able to cover the country.

Link to CatChat