Author Topic: how many missing cats are pts ?  (Read 7564 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: how many missing cats are pts ?
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2006, 19:35:34 PM »
Some of the "old school CP" still PTS FIV+ cats too

The want kicking out if this is true, if I knew of such a case I would take it to the top, I always believe in going to the top first. No point in going to little Hitlers.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Laney

• Kitten
  • Isla
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2006, 19:23:29 PM »
I agree entirely.  The thing that annoys me is that people often call out the RSPCA to "help" a stray I'm sure if they knew that the animals are often just taken back to the van and PTS a lot less people would call them out.  Anyway don't want to get on another RSPCA rant.

I'm always getting calls from friends for advice when they find either a stray pet or injured wildlife.  I always tell them NOT to call the RSPCA and bring them round to me and I'll patch up their wounds(I used to be a vet nurse), but they never listen.  I dread to think how many animals have been needlessly put down, even the injured wildlife deserves a chance and I've nursed loads of them back to health and released them.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 18:30:40 PM »
I am sure I read that Minks are very vicious little things but then I would be if I had been bred just for my fur  :-[

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 18:26:27 PM »
Yes Ela same branch !!
And  there was another cat that was due to be PTS because it was old (very old) and it was thought by some that she wouldnt find a home ! (another one we took and rehomed - wasnt hard either !!)
Some of the "old school CP" still PTS FIV+ cats too

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2006, 18:11:45 PM »
I think they are a lot smaller than you imagine, we  used to have on one on front garden every night.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 22:00:09 PM by Ela »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2006, 18:08:44 PM »
My last cat lived side by side with a family of foxes and he was fine! Mind you iv never seen a fox the size of an Alsation!!   :rofl:  Foxes aren't that huge an animal.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2006, 18:05:21 PM »
We chip all cats/kittens before we rehome them. Furbabystar that is shocking that the branch were going to put her to sleep thank goodness you took her in and she has a chance at a new home. Wouldn't happen in our branch or most others but there are, unfortunately, always those who go their own way and not always in a good way :scared: 

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 17:43:07 PM »
Not sure all i can remember is seeing some mink that were set free years ago by the animal right groups from that mink farm. I thought they were like ferrets?

Then again the mink that attacked Tigger was trying to survive so i could never blame the mink.

ccmacey

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 17:39:45 PM »
Isn't a Mink the same size or a bit smaller that a cat? Ooh vicious little animals, do they actually eat them??

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 17:29:29 PM »
Yes Foxes and ooo i've forgotten what the little critters are called ummmm Oh minks. They can both attack our cats.

My sis lives of the back of a church with huge land forest surrounding it. One day her cat Tigger came back severly scratched on his head and everywhere. He was taken straight to the vets who said it was a mink attcak and Tigger put up a very brave fight to survive.

It is our fault as we have taken away much of their environment.

Yeap so agree there. The foxes are only trying to survive like we all are. Humnas are animals worst enemy.

ccmacey

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 17:21:31 PM »
Was the cat dead or alive? I thought a cat would put up a good fight? Oh i wish you never said that i gettin horriable scenes in my head. So i suppose that's what could of happened to my friends cat's. :(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 17:09:56 PM »
do foxes go for cats?

yes foxes have beeen chasing cats on our estate and one lunchtime I received a call from a gentleman who said a fox had just ran past his front garden with a cat in its mouth, and that was at noon.

It is our fault as we have taken away much of their environment.

ccmacey

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2006, 17:06:21 PM »
Thats OK hopefully that's now sorted out? Think people have realized I'm an average girl (but not as average as some) I do my best to look after my cat's and I love them all 2 bits, now i can get on knowing I'm on a friendly and welcoming site :) Do strays get chipped too? as I said this would save time in trying to find there owner.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2006, 17:04:27 PM »
We have taken in a Blind cat that was found as a stray as the CP was going to have her PTS - so there

That is a disgrace, is it the same Branch  you have spoken about before?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2006, 16:57:34 PM »
We chip all cats and  kittens before homing, and I know our local RSPCA does.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2006, 16:50:22 PM »
We chip every cat in our care, even kittens. 
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2006, 16:48:29 PM »
Ela have you got a squib with me or something? Why are you always quoting things i say

Not at all, to tell the truth I donlt even look who has written something. But if I have a reply or question I put the quote bit in.

ccmacey

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2006, 15:18:04 PM »
Do rescues chip cat's while in there care? I think they should and then the cat would be registered somewhere, i also think this should apply to strays and therefore there would be no time waisting when a cat is found as they would be registered as stray . As you know some rescues take strays in neuter them and put them back out, in my experience anyway.

ccmacey

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 15:08:37 PM »
Surely the only way to know would be if everyone's cat was chipped, that's the only way cats are registered i suppose.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 13:56:13 PM »
I think it's a great idea Nick that there is a register kept of all the poor cats found. I remember a friend of mine when her cat went missing years ago, did everything she could to find him. A while later she heard that someone had thrown a cat in a bin that had been found on the side of a road. She managed to track down this person and found out the RSPCA told that person to throw the poor cat in the bin.
Unbelivable.
But i very much doubt a registration law would  get in. I wholely agree that the RSPC would never want the public to know just how many animals they don't save!!!!

And just a quicky on the other bits in this ere post. :)
Yeap there is a firm rule on Purrs that peeps keep to a friendly, helpful, adult discussion site. The main reason so we can learn more about cats, support each other and new people looking for advice and importantly help the cats through fundrasing.  
One thing all forums have a prob with is not being able to show the emoitions in the words written. It is sooo easy to not take a post the way it was meant. Please try to make little allowances for that.  :)
Me personally have noticed if i am in a down mood, i can read something and take it the wrong way then i would go back when in a happy mood and take that post in a completely different way!! :-:
We all have our own strong opinions and personalities can clash at times, It wouldn't be a real world if not. I completely understand that the peeps involved in Rescue see so much cruelty and can seem more assertive. When i went to adopt my boys Rio & Ochi from the CP in Bournmeouth, I thought the lady there was quite rude, she didn,t speak to me much and i felt i had to prove to her i adored all anmimals. I quickly came to realise, that she wasn't being rude at all but had so much love for the cats and only wanted the best for them.

One thing we all have on here is that we love and care for the cats, not just our own but all of them. I for one love you all for what we have done within just over 2 weeks on this site. The fund for Ron is truely amazing and could not have happened without everyone of you. Thankyou soooo much.  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Right back to topic ......................
Nick how would we find out whether the register would be possible? Any ideas? :)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2006, 13:14:55 PM »
She went to a new home yesterday on a trial - she is such a dear little thing, very clean and just loves to be cuddled! Cant believe she was a stray and that no one was missing her. Maybe her owner had died or something

I have sent you a private message ccmacey :sneaky:

ccmacey

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2006, 12:51:33 PM »
Furbaby great that this little one has had another chance.  :)

ccmacey

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 12:48:53 PM »
Yes a friend of mine has had 4 cats go missing and she looked everywhere for them, put posters up in shops, she done everything she could do to find them, but still they have not returned. The last 1 went missing about a year ago, sorry it was 3 cats that were missing 1 was killed in a RTA. The cats that went missing were all spayed so i don't really know why they went? but there was a fox and she said it was the size of an Alsatian, and for some reason i think that may of had them? do foxes go for cats?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 12:32:30 PM »
 :rofl:   furbaby
have you a pic of the little darling?

CCmacey, you did make your comment as to where they go into a question, it is worrying if 4 went missing and it must have concerned Ela, i would be on a spy mission if this happened to me.

Ela always gets straight to the point and i wouldnt take it personally!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 12:21:06 PM »
Well i'm going to upset the apple cart !!

We have taken in a Blind cat that was found as a stray as the CP was going to have her PTS - so there :P

ccmacey

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 11:46:38 AM »
Ela have you got a squib with me or something? Why are you always quoting things i say? If it carries on i think I'm just going to stop using purrs and i don't think it's fair how some people are trying to push other people out. Isn't there a rule about doing that anyway? :sick:

ccmacey

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 11:29:33 AM »
I cant remember if i asked you to rehome to this person, did i? anyway this topic is going way off course again, whats the point in posting anything.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 08:04:51 AM »
Its puzzeling where missing cats go, a friend of mine has had 4 cats go missing and they still have not came back to this day

What has she done to try to get them back?

Did they go missing at the same time or over a period of time?

Did others go missing at the same time.?

If it was over a period of time and others in the area  did not go missing then perhaps for some reason someone has relocated them.

Has she any cats now and if so does she keep them in? To be honest I would not even consider homing to someone who had lost 4 cats. 1 you can understand maybe 2 but 4 something not quite right.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 07:59:00 AM »
as little as 2 weeks if no one comes to claim the animal.

2 hours springs to mind and very recently also.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 07:40:57 AM »
I sent a letter to the person who owns my practice last night to ask. If it turns out they can't hold them, and dont have a rescue contact, I will ask her to keep my details on the desk, as the branch I use do.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 09:13:51 AM »
I cannot believe it is legal to pts someones pet, (stray or not) if anyone of us pts a stray cat we found we would probably be prosecuted by RSPCA

Our Cats Protection branch would never authorize a stray be it friendly or feral to be PTS if they vet thought it could have a quality life. we spends hundreds on a single cat.

I do know that others not mentioning any names would not try to save a feral and only will pay the first £50  for a domestic. what happens then, well we all know. Fortunately  if such  if people had their cats chipped this sort of thing would happen less frequently.

Earlier this year I sorted out a situation where an elderly gentleman 80 something  was emigrating to Canada to join his son, the cats could not fly until a couple of weeks after him. I had not heard a thing since I had been advised they had arrived safely on Canada so I mailed the other day and about 30 mins ago I received a reply part of which is below. Again a microchip saved the day.

We had kept both cats indoors entirely for the first month, but then Spud could contain himself no longer, so Spud went off  as normal.   Hilda, however, did not want to go beyond the doormat, in the dry, and out of the wind.   One night, sometime later, I went to the door to see if Spud was waiting, but he wasn't.   Hilda who had followed sat down on the mat so I suggested, if she wanted, she could wait for Spud.   A few minutes later I returned to find Spud - but no Hilda - that was the last we were to see of her for exactly four months!!   I was devastated.   We did all the right things, but as the weeks went past so did our hopes, especially as we had changed our address and telephone number.   My only hope, from then on was as we had her 'chipped' before we left England, if she had been taken, dead or alive, to a vet she could be traced. But with all the movements it seemed a pretty remote trail.   Then one morning we received a phone call describing her and if it was our cat.   The details were quite sketchy.   She had been found a couple of streets away from where we had been living holed up in some blackberry bushes being fed
scraps by neighbours.   There the story ends - for about four months.   This part, I'm afraid is lost forever.   The story now is that she was found injured in some blackberry bushes and it took neighbours an hour to get her out and taken to a vet!!   They had to ring England to get her details and our phone number.   She had a cut from under one armpit across her body to the other side, which required thirty-odd stitches.   This was attributed to her struggles to get out of her collar.   They operated and we brought her home the same night.   She was quite bright but very thin - she has not stopped eating since and is about double the weight.   I really must apologise most sincerely for not replying to your Email sooner.    I started this Email several months ago and there have been many false starts.    Sixty years ago, I was a passable four-fingered typist, and now much to my dismay, I am an incompetent one-fingered one!   Hilda is no help at all; she is in her permanent position, lying alongside the laptop,

The e- mail took ages to read and is huge he  describes how beautiful Vancouver is and the 4000' mountain only 30m away from the house.

Bless him
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 16:11:10 PM by Ela »

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 23:28:01 PM »
Also the PDSA treat pets in the home, they will only treat strays in an emergency.

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2006, 23:23:58 PM »
Its puzzeling where missing cats go, a friend of mine has had 4 cats go missing and they still have not came back to this day, i wonder where they could of gone? I do know that the CP and the PDSA do not PTS , the Pdsa is only a vet like buissness, they dont rehome like the CP do. As for the RSPCA i know they do PTS and only after as little as 2 weeks if no one comes to claim the animal.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 23:22:37 PM »
I can confirm Anne Clarke's comments from my days when I volunteered for CP. The RSPCA is another story and has been well aired on Cat Chat. I won't dig that up again in detail except to say that, as an organisation, they scare the hell out of me and I become upset if an animal has gone into their care.

Having said that I have recently dealt with one RSPCA cattery who I have come to respect and who have a more refreshing approach than the main body. I won't name them in case their HQ ask too many internal questions of why they don't tow the partyline.

I honestly have no idea of the PDSA policy but would be interested to read experiences.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 23:04:36 PM »
Hi all
I have no doubt in my mind that Sydney who we had for a few months or indeed Humphrey who we have now, would not of survived RSPCA policy on strays. Indeed the amount RSPCA agree to pay on poorly cat (50.00) probably only covers "keep them comfortable".  Then its the RSPCA choice to decide if they are willing to spend further money.  Sometimes I am aghast at their policies. An FIV cat with RSPCA has little hope or being rehomed. 

I try to work with our local RSPCA and we do on some matters but on otehrs we agree to disagree.

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

• Super Cat
    • Gateshead CP
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 22:36:40 PM »
No worries Nick,  ;D  as I said I just wanted to let people know who might not be as up on things and sometimes people do think we do the same as the RSPCA. I certainly had my eyes opened about them when I started doing rescue! I think yours is a really good idea and at least it would help people to know what happened to their cats. It must be horrible not knowing what's happened when your cat goes missing.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 22:30:46 PM »
i actually educated one of our directors the other day on the RSPCA - he hasn't spoken to me since, so I might have been a bit forceful on the subject!!! It would be an interesting thing to study - I know that vets may pts as they dont always have the facility to keep animals on site, esp now most vets dont do their own out of hours, and they might not have either staff who are willing to take animals home, or a rescue contact, in which case they have no other option. I might write a letter to my vets asking actually - could someone e-mail me tomorrow to remind me to do that???
Please spay your cat

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 22:27:24 PM »
sorry I didn't mean to imply that CP were guilty  in any way. I don't know anything about CP. I just wanted to get some feedback

• Super Cat
    • Gateshead CP
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 22:13:46 PM »
Thanks Sam, just wanted to reassure those who may not be as well up on these things  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 22:11:09 PM »
Anne don't worry we all know the CP is one of the Good guys!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat