Author Topic: Max had his 'MOT' on Friday!  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
Re: Max had his 'MOT' on Friday!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 21:03:08 PM »
surely you would need to weigh the poo and wee separately bit by bit 1st  :rofl:
Sorry couln;t resist.

Offline IainMcT

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2006, 20:43:31 PM »
I'm getting some digital scales for Xmas so it should make it easier for me to monitor his weight at home as well. 

Just be careful they aren't too fancy! I bought some digital scales that measure body fat and water content etc as well as your weight in the summer but I can't weigh the cats on them as your feet have to be in contact with the sensors for it to let you weigh yourself so I have to weigh myself and then myself and the cat and subtract one from the other to get a rough idea of how much they weigh lol. When I'm at uni I currently have to balance a litter tray on top of my kitchen scales that go up to 10kg and pop the cat in the litter tray to get a better idea of their weight as I can't have my electronic scales down here.

Doesn't the weight vary according to the amount of litter, wee and poo in the litter tray?

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 18:07:41 PM »
I'm getting some digital scales for Xmas so it should make it easier for me to monitor his weight at home as well. 

Just be careful they aren't too fancy! I bought some digital scales that measure body fat and water content etc as well as your weight in the summer but I can't weigh the cats on them as your feet have to be in contact with the sensors for it to let you weigh yourself so I have to weigh myself and then myself and the cat and subtract one from the other to get a rough idea of how much they weigh lol. When I'm at uni I currently have to balance a litter tray on top of my kitchen scales that go up to 10kg and pop the cat in the litter tray to get a better idea of their weight as I can't have my electronic scales down here.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 14:34:34 PM »
 :luck: and  :lick: for Maxi lad on Fri Clare. hope he passes with flying colours. (what a silly expression!! :-:)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 07:59:35 AM »
Fingers crossed Clare.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 09:57:41 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm think I'm going to have to reduce the dry food a bit then, I wasn't aware that dental foods often had more fat in them! He has Natures Menu wet so hopefully combining less dry (and treats only on special occasions), then I can reduce his belly a bit.  I'm getting some digital scales for Xmas so it should make it easier for me to monitor his weight at home as well.  As for playing, well I had him haring up and down the stairs chasing a ball last night, so that's his keep-fit regime underway  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 21:29:33 PM »
I wouldn't go down the route of prescription diet food though, the ingredients are poor, and I didn't see any success with R/D.

Ahh right sorry didn't know that as not used them myself. Bilbo was on a slight diet but I just fed him less of his usual food but now he's not got a show for a while he's back on his usual amount as he needs to build up his fat layer for the winter. How much weight do they usually put on over winter?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 21:18:02 PM »
IF the vet says he could do with losing some, then take their advice, they have seen him and know his body shape. As Charlotte says, wet food can help with this, and Dental foods can have more fat in them - I wouldn't go down the route of prescription diet food though, the ingredients are poor, and I didn't see any success with R/D. Increasing play and exercise will help - you could either throw his food piece by piece or hide it to encourage him to 'hunt'. As he isn't that young a cat, I would do things now, as there are health risks if he gets more overweight - but cats are normally heavier in the winter though, so it might be an idea to get him weighed again in the spring/summer.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 20:56:00 PM »
He does need to lose a bit of weight apparently though - he was 5.4kg last year, and is no 5.6kg - they want to see him nearer 5kg - does that sound about right to those peeps in the know? 

His current weight does sound quite a lot but I've obviously never seen him in the fur. Increasing the amount of wet food he eats will help with his weight I have heard and putting him on a prescription diet food may help as well (Hills do R/D and M/D in wet and dry form)

Glad his MOT went well  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Max had his 'MOT' on Friday!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 20:46:24 PM »
Took Max to the vet nurse of Friday morning to get his teeth checked out, just to make sure we're doing OK following his dental and extractions last year.

WELL....... all OK, teeth much better, no extractions needed and gums look OK, which was my major worry with Max being FIV+.  It also seems that the Plaque Off is doing its job as we've been using it every day for the last year, and he's been having RC Dental SO, which is also seems to be helping a bit.

He does need to lose a bit of weight apparently though - he was 5.4kg last year, and is no 5.6kg - they want to see him nearer 5kg - does that sound about right to those peeps in the know?  He's always been a big cat anyway, but he's got a little belly so guess I need to regulate his food a little bit.

Apart from that he's all well and good, so have to say I am very pleased  :wow:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Link to CatChat