Author Topic: Wont be around much this weekend  (Read 7050 times)

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Re: Wont be around much this weekend
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2006, 22:42:57 PM »
Hi Des,

Yes email received. Not been on line this weekend until now. I'll drop you a line in the next 48 hours.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2006, 11:10:29 AM »
Cheers Ann, I might look into that. My mum has agreed to do a football card for me, so that will hopefully work, and I might wander round the neighbourhood with one!!
Pete, did you get my e-mail?
Please spay your cat

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2006, 22:51:07 PM »
Beanie, it is Ely & District CP.  :ok:

Linda and Rod do real sterling work, often juggling a stall with showing - they're two super people. OK, I am biased as I got both my terrible twosome from Linda.  :sneaky:

Fundraising is difficult as there is just so much competition around for a finite amount of available money and sometimes, if you don't see anything on a stall that you like... Instead, I support Ely CP by dropping off the odd couple of dozen cans of Felix or large bag of Go-Cat every now and again.  :)

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2006, 22:04:35 PM »
Hi Des sorry you didn't have a better day, I know from experience like many others on here how hard it can be. Lots of work for so little reward sometimes. One of our most successful fundraisers was a band night we had, a local band who happen to be animal lovers and do lots of charity stuff played for us for free and we hired a cheapish working mens club to hold it in. Our fundraiser wrote to local companies, shops etc and asked for raffle prizes and we got some good ones from places like Boots and other shops and also a local health club among many others. It was quite a bit of organisation but it was really all done by our fundraising officer so all credit to her. It may not be an option for you of course but it might be worth checking out if any local bands do stuff for charity just as a starting point. Good luck with your future fundraising.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2006, 14:16:38 PM »
Am glad yours went well. I had to buy the local paper for work today and the area the rescue is in is covered by it, so I will make a note of the telephone number and name for the person covering it, and next time we do soemthing, there will be a phone call made to see if it can be included. and my local library have agreed to put posters up for me (the reg'd charity bit won it again!!), so that might raise some awareness.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2006, 09:29:48 AM »
we are are still here and doing what we can.

Absolutely, we do what we can and then a bit more.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 09:30:24 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2006, 09:21:59 AM »
Just want to add here taht our Xmas fair last week took around 850.00 fab as the weather was not good. Trouble is we have now just about spent it all with Humphrey bill, repairing a fosterer pen and buying heat pads along with taking care of 2 poorly kittens that needed lots of vets treatment. Abandoned at the side of the road, one found to have an ulcer in his eye. 

Till we are are still here and doing what we can.

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2006, 05:50:55 AM »
wine, beer, lager and spirits

We always have a bottle stall as well as a Tombola it always takes at least £100. Please remember not to sell ticket to children and you need a license. Cats Protection branches are covered by a blanket HQ license.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 21:50:34 PM »
Grr, the comp just lost my message!!
Kelly, the only reason for getting up too early on the SAt was I mistakenly set my alarm clock!! And I didn't do nearly as much as 2 of the others, nor do I have the amount of cats that the rescue have to look after. I am going to have to find out about local car boots, as i think they would be good, I wouldn't mind doing one of those. I am going to do a football card in the new year, maybe as soon as we all get paid in Jan, hopefully then I will be the first one. WAs talking to a neighbour earlier as they wanted to know if we had any cats, and she said to go round knocking on people's doors, could be worth a go, I would have at least 2 then!! And it has just occured to me that I could ask my mum to do one on her butty van for me, my sis would love getting people to hand money over to that, so the plan of action for tomorrow is to speak to her to see if she would do it (she is coming round, and has donated things for us to sell!!).
It can be soul destroying PEte, but hopefully between us now we can come up with some better ways of doing things - new blood and all that. Will send you an e-mail tomorrow, getting tired now. I suppose we do represent the charity - that might make a difference, but getting through to HQ is hard.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 21:40:30 PM »
The link below to my email address will not work. Sorry :doh: However, the address is correct.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2006, 21:38:54 PM »
Hi again guys,

I will commend anyone who helps to fundraise. It can be soul destroying when the amount of effort, good will and work amounts to little and that is what I was trying to address. The most difficult job in my opinion is running a cattery and fostering followed by fundraising. At the risks of howls of protest the treasury, secretarial role is a doddle by comparison. To do a proper Branch Co-ordinating job (CP style) which clearly a few on this site do is also difficult. You have to fight a battle externally and often internally. Snadwich filing anyone?  ;)

Maybe I should take this topic off line. If you want to drop me an email at Mognifient7@aol.com and let me know what you are selling, buying in, offering and the type of venues & pricing arrangements, I will offer some thoughts. I don't pretend to have all the answers and I cannot comment on variance on differing regional tastes, etc. However, it may spark a few ideas and you guys would be the best to decide if they work.

Details of how you advertise and membership, etc would also help. Do you represent Cat ASction Trust 1977?

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2006, 21:22:23 PM »
It really is soo hard and really would like to commend Des on the weekend's efforts. I was useless as usual but Des got up far too early and got home far too late both days. I've offered to start car boot sales after christmas as there is a huge one in Clitheroe we go to and we make some ok cash there. Other than that its the usual things, football cards etc, but as Des pointed out - her workplace is overwhelmed by these things and close to christmas people won't want to be spending cash on things like that. So what else is there to do?
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2006, 21:10:25 PM »
Cheers, Pete, more food for thought for me - now I have been to a fundraiser that wasn't successful for the amount of work (and money) we put into it, I really want to find a better alternative - the other prob we have is lack of people, cos two of the 3 we had on Sat were also 2 of the 4 looking after the cats, so not only was it a long day raising money, there was also the feeding and cleaning when we got back. I dont think Tombola's are the way to go anymore - although there was one on Sun that was cleared out, as what they did was £1 a go, but every prize was a winner, and they wrapped all the presents so you couldn't see what they were. That would be worth doing, but not a bog standard tombola on a charity market - nor would bric a brac (we had some of that too). We haven't had a prob with alcohol, the only thing I can assume is that the hall we use for our coffee mornings have a licence. I personally dont see a prob, as you aren't selling alcohol, and as long as kids dont win!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2006, 20:59:31 PM »
Hi Des,

It is not an easy thing by any stretch of the imagination and you need luck as well as an objective view of what will sell quickly with a reasonable profit margin.   :yesss: If the latter were easy Marks & Spencer or Harrods would not have had a downturn a couple of years ago but have now come out it and they have massive financial resources which means that they can sustain an economical hit!!

Just one thought. Tombolas. Everybody does them now and so people become bored with them if they are all the same. I was put in charge of a very specific tombola at one event. It was easier than yours because the charity had the whole hall to themselves. We sited it near the door so I could get people coming in or going out. All the prizes were there to be seen and involved wine, beer, lager and spirits. A nice smile (I can still manage it!!) and a comment about their fully laden bags or otherwise and a
Code: [Select]
You look in need of a drink mate to a husband being dragged around as pack mule with his wife's purchases comment can unsettle the most padlocked of wallets and purses. Even  a variation of that can hit the mark.

Now the problem with booze,which you may have encountered, and was raised internally a few years ago by CP is that you now need a license even for a tombola to dispense alcohol. Now this is where my rule bending comes in as it is a complete nonsense. The only rule I observe is not to sell a ticket to children. I no longer fund raise for CP and they would frown upon my flippant approach but many charities do not have this attitude.

The biggest fund raising dream that I have is not practical with smaller charities over a large geographical area. It is not an original idea and Cancer Research (UK) and I believe the British Heart Foundation have already thought about and done this. They, of course, have large numbers of supporters in virtually every geographical location and that is key to its success. With no disrespect intended towards those 2 charities, they argue that they do not receive government support like all charities. That is not entirely true as they, quite rightly, receive support for research work and have links with universities who will conduct that work; I don't want to get on to that subject though for obvious reasons.  >:( They usually hire a prestigious place which is usually a black tie event. Oh! back to the activity.......an auction of promises.

:catluv:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 20:25:42 PM »
Some very good comments there Pete. I think the problem with the stall was a lack of advertising (apparently posters had been put all round the town centre, but obviously very few people knew) and when I turned up, I realised we were in a very poor location - I wanted a stand closer to the main shops with an arrow round, but it wasn't our stand, so we couldn't risk it. I wasn't there when they checked the shop out though, but I might have said something if I was. I thought we might have been OK with the local underwear shop closing, but obviously not. The problem with the market stall is as me and Tab have said above - too many tombolas, and we were in a poor position, so most people had gone round 3 before getting to us. I think the only way to do that again and get a good amount is to do something completely unusual that isn't expensive. So, at least I have had the experience of doing a tombola on a market stall (and it was an experience, I didn't realise half of the things that went into it!!) and can now come up with alternatives - I just have to think of some first, all I can think off is car boot sales and e-bay. We do have one fundraiser who's heart is in the right place, but she is incredibly hard work, and the council woman who does the markets is a bit of a battleaxe who obviously doesn't like us!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 19:01:03 PM »
Des,

I will make some general observations which may be taken the wrong way but are intended to be constructive. I don't know about your venue so my comments are across the board.

Fund raising is more than ever about planning. I used to be a fundraiser for CP and it won't surprise you when I tell you that I took it very seriously and tried to prepare meticulously. I looked at it purely and simply that if I failed the cats would be totally let down. Nobody said it is easy but that in itself is a challenge.

You need a game plan. Imagine you are a shop owner with a lot of competition. What are the opposition up to? How can you survive and what can you offer? You need to know what alternative charities are doing and offering.

Costing venues, where they are located and how well they are advertised is part of the preliminary process before you even consider a site. It is no good getting a cheap rate if it is way off the beaten track and nobody knows about it.

More than ever in this day and age you need to interpret the restrictive rules, where possible, more liberally. I know! I would say that, wouldn't I? However, it is a fact of life and playing by all rules and regulations is only fine if everyone does it but life ain't like that and many rules make no sense.

Fundraising is wearing especially if your colleagues don't all pull in the same direction (part of my problem with the local CP)   :brick:
What do you get out of it? Very simple and you can't buy it. The knowledge that you have pulled out all the stops to help the felines in your care. Just look at Tan, Steven & Gill with this year's calendar. They probably wouldn't admit it but they have crossed over the wire in achieving an aim and can be very proud. Focus, drive, determination and skill. I am sure that they would be the first to admit that this does not come naturally - at least I hope so!!!

So what are my credentials? I am not a salesman in the true sense of the word; nor have i ever been. I was happy to have got more money for a sponsored CP walk than any other branch one year because I got many members (if not committee) on board. I helped to source and buy products for sale; that is a grey area because funds are small and you don't want to be sitting with unsold merchandise in your lockup for a long period as you are not even covering your outlay so rational assessments (rather than those of the heart) have to be made. I am a quiz master each year for a charity that selects an animal charity and we regularly raise over £!000 net on the night. The main organizer is a joy and switched on., so we work well as a team. The last beneficiaries have been a Cypriot cat charity and Spana.

You have to be assertive and I am sure you will have no difficulty with that  :) I attended one small cat show event where nobody was coming upstairs to look at the charity and trader stalls. Everyone was, quite rightly, moaning as takings were poor. It was no good moaning amongst themselves so I went downstairs to the show and found the MC. he said he would make an announcement but he didn't. After about 15 minutes I returned and asked wether there was a problem. He said he was busy in a totally uninterested tone. Up to then the organizers had been interested in getting stall fees. As I asked how difficult it was to make an announcement, I lost patience and grabbed the microphone to make my own announcement. People were unaware that there were stalls upstairs and gradually came to visit which kept everyone happy apart from the guarder of the microphone.  :censored:

I say this not for affect as not everyone, thank God, is built the same way. It is important to make your presence felt in as nice a way as possible.

My fundraising activities have been severely curtailed this year due to health reasons but i hope to resume.

If you go to the National Cat Show at Olympia next month, take a look at how some of the CP stalls prepare. I have always been impressed by a few including North Hertfordshire, Ely & district (?) and Basildon.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 18:33:06 PM »
I remember once we paid £10 for a stall and took about £18

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 18:01:23 PM »
So sorry you had such a bad time Desley, its very hard having a stall of any kind  :(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 10:46:13 AM »
Thanks TAb. That is exactly what I told the rescue last night - not only were there loads doing tombolas (I went on 2 and one had already finished by the time I wandered round), but we were one of the last that people got to, so the only ways we could do good on that market is to either do something completely different or ask for a different stall. I know we werent the only charity to have not done well, the other one I fundraise were on there, and they took a similar amount.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 09:13:44 AM »
Im sorry you didnt raise much over the weekend. I think in some cases people ended up like me where as every stall was a tombola they had a go on every stall. It is soul destroying thinking of all the hard work you all put in standing in the cold and being there all weekend only to get a small amount. Im sorry the cards didnt sell either but as you say they can be used to promote the rescue and hopefully help in that way.
It was great to meet you as well
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 07:32:49 AM »
It is soul destroying Ela, so me and Kelly are on the case for better ways of fundraising for next year, cos there has to be some. When the rescue started up 9 years ago, the market was an excellent way of fundraising, but it has dwindled in recent years, and now no one wants to spend money.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 23:51:06 PM »
Aww, what a shame you did your best though so well done for all the hard work you put in!!!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 22:48:52 PM »
I am so sorry all that hard work for so little reward, it is soul destroying

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 21:19:16 PM »
Sadly the weekend wasn't too much of a success - the shop raised the grand total of £35.50 for 2 days - so the woman who had bought it said she couldn't take her cost out of that and fortunately we hadn't paid for the shop!! And the stall did £72.74 - so the grand total was £107.74 for 2 days of incredibly hard work, we would have all rather given money and stayed at home for the weekend. So, we aren't doing a market stall again, and are now on the lookout for better ways of fundraising. It has been an eye opener for me, I hadn't realised just how much work goes into a market stall, the only advantage for our fundraiser was she didn't have to fold all the tickets herself!! The other upside was meeting Dawn, Tab and Kelly, a big thank you to Dawn and Tab for your time making us things - we sold half of the cakes and none of the cards, but the cards have gone back to the rescue to be used.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2006, 09:18:02 AM »
WEll, car is packed, I am off to do a few errands and then waiting for Dawn with her cakes!! I had a flu and pneumonia jab yesterday, so have two sore arms, so hopefully today wont be too hard, and they wont be sore by tomorrow!! Will try and get on tonight, if I have any energy left!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 14:16:11 PM »
haha! I actually looked for an icon for baking but I couldn't find one!

The little person sneaking up is bf looking for cakes! :)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 13:27:29 PM »
 :cook:   <---- cheescat!!!!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 13:11:19 PM »
Hope you gets loads of cash Desley.  Finger crossed!

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 13:03:50 PM »
I am having the biggest cake-making night ever!

Bought all my ingredients last night and just got the two things I forgot on my lunch break (typical!)

The cakes are Christmas and Cat related - I will post pics tonight when I am done :)

Hope Desley ends up like this.... ! > :donate2:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 11:16:36 AM »
Lots of luck for the weekend Des....hope it won't be too cold for ya.  Thanks for reposting all that stuff for the Rescues.  I might have some of those white goods I can offload to a Rescue instead of taking to the skip or wherever it is these days you have to take them to be properly disposed of......they're all still working....

:luck:

Lots of love

Roz 8)
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 11:08:05 AM »
Becca, we are going to be on Shaw market - the shop is facing it apparently, and on Sun we are actually on the market, we have a tombola, homemade cakes, homemade cards and some bric a brac so far.

Ooooo we might come along and grab a bit of cake on Sunday then ;D if I don't see you have a great time.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 09:24:33 AM »
 :luck: Des, raise loads of dosh, and dont work too hard or you will be :tired:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 08:10:19 AM »
Good luck, hope you get lots of dosh.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 08:06:02 AM »
Thanks Nick. Keeping the cats in mind wont be hard, I have done some posters with a selection of the cats we have homed this year, plus one with our hard to home pics on, and one asking for help that has yet more cats on, all are going on the stall!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 07:52:13 AM »
good luck desley. Just keep the little faces of all the cats you are helping feed and home in mind and it will be a breeze. Wish I was close enough to give a hand and support.
Well done you all

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 07:38:47 AM »
Becca, we are going to be on Shaw market - the shop is facing it apparently, and on Sun we are actually on the market, we have a tombola, homemade cakes, homemade cards and some bric a brac so far.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 22:58:26 PM »
Where are you going to be Des? I've got a pal up this weekend so we might go and visit...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 23:08:50 PM by Rebecca (beccaviola) »
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 22:56:43 PM »
Will miss not having you here Des.  Good Luck

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2006, 22:55:53 PM »
 :luck: desley and hope you raise loads of money  ;D

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 21:55:01 PM »
Everything crossed that you lots of dosh  :wow:

Can't wait to see the pics of the furbabes :)

Link to CatChat