Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a grooming brush  (Read 1965 times)

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
Re: Can anyone recommend a grooming brush
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
Thank you for your replies, i do  have a brush Mark recommened, but did not get on with it, I think now I must stick with it. 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
I just ordered the metal comb they recommend to go with it. Gillian also recommended it. Laz had a knot right under his chin and it took me a couple of weeks to get it out completely without hurting him. I got the last bit out by separating and teasing it out with a metal flea/dust comb (from Sainsburys)

I know Gillian prefers the slickers without the ballpins but I feel safer using one as I am terrified of scratching an eye or something.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:29:08 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
I usually use a comb on mine but my other preference is one similar to the one Mark suggests, it's small and my cats have always loved rubbing their faces against it too (which a comb doesn't do the same).  Although for Bonnie I'm using the soft brush atm as she's not got a lot of fur and want to be gentle but get her used to being groomed.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 08:15:47 AM »
I've got two of the small ones and confirm they are very good.    All the wegies now love being groomed, whereas previously they were not keen.    They will even let me groom tummies!     I have just ordered a medium though as I find they are a bit small for some of the cats but then I do have big wegie and persian boys to groom.
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 22:13:03 PM »
The small one I linked to. I mistakenly ordered the medium first and it is far too big for cats.  I should have realised that Alice has the small one.

You can press quite hard without hurting them and they love it - both Alice & Laz will rub their faces against it if you hold it still. Probably good for stimulating circulation as well as getting fur out.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 22:15:39 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 22:03:47 PM »
which size is best?
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 20:42:23 PM »
These are great. The tiny pins have little balls at the ends so they don't scratch the skin. Alice has had hers (the same one) for over 3 years. I bought Lazarus one a couple of weeks ago and he loves it. He is sem-long haired I get loads of fur out with it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002Z2QZD2/ref=oss_product

Shame - they were only £2.69 Delivered a couple of weeks ago. If you do order from Amazon, don't forget to select free delivery as the default is 1st class (£2.75 extra)

I got Alice's one in PAH - not sure if they still sell them.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 20:43:22 PM by Mark »

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
Can anyone recommend a grooming brush
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 20:28:09 PM »
Hi
A few months ago I chucked out my cats brush, it was losing the steel pins, it was old.  Since then I have bought 2 brushes and she either does not tolerate it or it just does not do the job.
She has a very long, fine coat which mats easily, can anyone recommend a brush?

ta TillyWilly

Link to CatChat