Author Topic: Cats and dogs... friends or foes?!  (Read 2114 times)

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
Re: Cats and dogs... friends or foes?!
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2010, 15:00:07 PM »
Aww these pictures are lovely and give me faith!!!

We've actually heard of a friend of a friend who is re-homing his 2 your old female boxer. He's a breeder which I don't agree with, but he only has 2 dogs and they have a litter once every 2 years. I've seen the vets paperwork and they are kept as family dogs. This boxer had pups, but they all died due to complications and her sister went on to have healthy puppies. He had her spayed and she lives as a family pet, but gets really distressed when there are puppies in the house and tries to feed them herself.

Obiovusly if it was me i'd just not breed any more, but he's been a breeder for around 30 years and it's his livelihood.

Anyway, I don't want to start a debate about breeding  :naughty:

So she's around 2 years old, quite petite and needs to be cat tested, but she's quite shy and only bouncy around new people. We still have many months to move and we've told him we can't make any  committment. He's not in any rush to re-home her and even if it took a year to find the right home, he'd be happy - he just wants to find the right home for her.

So we'll see...!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 11:38:36 AM »
awww  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline jennyk

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 11:28:06 AM »
Ai chan has a doggie friend to, she is my neighbours Pug. i usualy take my neighbours 2 dogs out for walks when the partner is on shift work.
i am not to keen when she licks Aichan makes her smell all doggie :sick: ( i dont like that doggie smell)

here is a picture with her pug mate

lol that is so sweet x
Jenny K

Offline Shiroi-Neko

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ai-Chan & Tora
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 10:00:16 AM »
Ai chan has a doggie friend to, she is my neighbours Pug. i usualy take my neighbours 2 dogs out for walks when the partner is on shift work.
i am not to keen when she licks Aichan makes her smell all doggie :sick: ( i dont like that doggie smell)

here is a picture with her pug mate

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 20:53:28 PM »
 :Luv: what a lovely photo!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 20:49:00 PM »
I t works so well here, that Smidgen went into a decline when in quarantine because he was separated from his mate (despite sharing a run with Esther, his fellow-cat).

Shadow was introduced to the cats as a puppy and trained well though. Obedience training is, I think, and essential if you are combining the two species.

Offline LilyandGary

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 20:34:48 PM »
Hope you find a lovely new addition to your home.

I`m getting a rescued Lab this weekend, a bit out of the blue I must admit as I didnt think the right one would come up so soon.

Will let you know how long it takes for her to realise the cats rule here :rofl:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 21:42:28 PM »
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 19:30:50 PM »
I love pippa to bits but if i'm honest i'll never have another puppy! It Was like having a baby she kept waking me Up crying At night for weeks! Im so glad that now she is 1yr 5 months she has grown Up a little! If we get another dog it'll be an adult rescue xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 19:22:23 PM »
They can hate cats and be ok with dogs  ;D i always prefer adult animals whatever the species, from what iv seen of puppy requirements on rescue ads you need to be at home a lot with them to start with, and why go through the house training stage when an adult dog will already be there/nearly there. Pups dont toilet train like kittens, they are stoopid  :evillaugh:

Offline LilyandGary

• Senior Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 19:07:20 PM »
There are many great dogs out there in rescue just waiting for a loving home. Good rescues vet their dogs carefully and there are loads, even greyhounds, who are very cat friendly. Greyhounds dont require excessive exercise, and are usually real couch-potatos.

Here, to prove my point, is my rescued Lab Forrest with Lily when she was about 7 weeks old. I got him aged 17 months and he had many, many issues! Some of these we lived with until he died aged 13. He was the most frustrating, intellegent and funny dog I have ever had.

BTW, he had never even seen a cat until I got my first one, Angus, when I had had Forrest about 12 months. Angus was about 18 months when I adopted him, and again had never lived with a dog. When I later had a litter of pups, Angus used to get into the whelping box and snuggle up with them.

I have fostered many dogs and puppies, and never had an issue with them around cats. Its all down to control of the dog, and training.

I also once took in an 15 yr old, 3 legged cat called Sooty-cat after the owner died. He was so confident around dogs, he would go into neighbour`s houses and steal their dog`s food, and boss my lot around. He even came to the dog training classes I ran to teach puppies how to be nice around cats.

Forrest and Lily -

And Issy the spaniel with foster kittens all snuggled up. She makes a fab hot water bottle!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 15:29:38 PM »
Sound like a perfect pooch owner already  :Luv:

British bulldog or American? I'll keep an eye out for you  :hug:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2010, 15:24:28 PM »
Yeah - we fostered an older cat who'd been starved, kicked and was covered in cuts - Andy's response was 'can't we foster another kitten? I don't really want to foster an older, scabby cat'

...... Woody was with us 3 months and it was Andy who was in tears when he found a new home  :naughty:

The breed we both agree on liking are bulldogs but they don't come up in rescue too much and I really don't want to go to a breeder at all.... anyway we've got months to decide yet, but it's a big committment and so want to do as much research as possible!!!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 15:14:52 PM »
Well puppies aren't recommended for busy lifestyles and rescues will turn people down. It depends how much you work part time?  But he would love whatever in the end .. they always do  :evillaugh:

Retired racing greyhounds are fab  :Luv2: :Luv2: and they can live with cats. It can take a little bit of work in some cases but so many people have both. Likewise, loads of people have boxers and cats. I would see what Katie likes .. you never know, she might prefer the bounciness of a boxer. Then again greyhounds have their moments too  :evillaugh:

I think it sounds a wonderful idea to add a canine to the mix, and I'm sure Katie would too  :innocent:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 15:04:14 PM »
Yes I thought about borrowing a friends dog...

I think it's my partner who has always had recsue dogs from puppies and feels that an older dog wouldn't feel like his. I love slightly older animals and with our lifestyle (he works full time and me part time) a dog like a greyhound would be perfect but he's not convinced! He loves boxer dogs which are so bouncy! Although we do agree that we love our friend's bulldog  :Luv2:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 15:00:20 PM »
Hi Den - I would never add another cat into the mix here - no way! We've fostererd twice before and it didn't work so i'd never do it again, I was just asking about whether because cats hate other cats, do they hate dogs  :innocent:

:evillaugh: I was waffling wasn't I? I was saying that I have a dog lover who I don't think is a cat lover. So yup, would say it works the other way too. You could always borrow a cat friendly dog and see how she reacts.

I would think she would be fine.

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 14:55:58 PM »
Hi Den - I would never add another cat into the mix here - no way! We've fostererd twice before and it didn't work so i'd never do it again, I was just asking about whether because cats hate other cats, do they hate dogs  :innocent:

Edited to say that just read Den's post again and I get what you mean Doh! :doh:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 14:57:30 PM by adelcatsprotection »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 14:51:29 PM »
I have a very strong suspicion that adding another cat will end up in disaster here. I have no real proof of this, but I know Memphis and he's a jealous little fool. So I'm far too scared to even try it for fear that it would really upset him or for the other cat. He's absolutely fine with dogs but with cats I can just see his bully side come out in full and having someone so similar just makes my gut think it will be handbags at dawn. I have zero hesitation adding another dog, be it puppy or adult. He'd be hissy to begin with but would soon settle and make his place known. I would LOVE another cat, but I'm waaaaaaay too terrified.

I think you know deep down what the answer is. Kind of how I think Memphis won't accept another cat you just know.

Cats will put puppies in their place, but it's also up to you to each puppy right from wrong. 6/7 months - 14/18 months is kind of the worst age for dogs. That's their teenage Kevin phase where they are the most bratty and hard to handle. They don't tend to listen. It does of course depend on breed/individual dog. Personally speaking I find 5-7 years the best age for dogs  :Luv2:

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 13:58:21 PM »
I have 4 cats & 1 jack russel, we got her as a puppy from a rescue in 2008. At first Pippin & Tiggy were frightened of her patch didnt mind & Sooty loved her! None of the cats mind her now Tiggy rubs heads with her & her and Sooty play fight and even share beds with each other. I did worry that they wouldnt get on but they are all happy x

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Cats and dogs... friends or foes?!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 13:45:07 PM »
Hello All,

Hoping for your expertise/experience here!

We're going to be moving to a new house soon which means that Katie will have much more space to snooze the days away. She's always hated any other feline and our atte,pts to adopt another cat have resulted in fosters being re-homed rather than staying :evillaugh:

In the vets however she does seem quite interested in dogs (as long as they don't run at her basket or anything!)

Do cats react differently to cats and dogs? Sound silly, but just because she hates other cats, would it mean that she couldn't live with a dog?

We'd be getting a rescue dog and although my partner really wants a dog under a year old, i'm not too fussed and temperament is more important to me. We'd also plan to put in a dog gate at the bottom of the stairs so that Katie could have access to the upstairs and get peace from the dog if needs be.

How do cats tend to be with puppies? Obviously puppies mouth etc and Katie's quite able to stand up for herself but any stories of introductions and the like would be much appreciated!!!

Link to CatChat