Author Topic: Kitty intro's not going too well  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: Kitty intro's not going too well
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 14:35:34 PM »
I don't wish to dash any hopes of an early union lol but my boy Peanut still hisses at Boo who was introduced nearly 2 years ago. When they have a little rough and tumble its not claws out any more though its hilarious to see them both sit up and box each other. Both with their eyes tight shut Their front right paws are just a blur of raking and they both get a few scratches >:(

Peanut is a lot more tolerant now than he was but they still don't sleep together unless Boo sneaks up and lies down next to Peanut when he is asleep. I think our situation is agrevated by the fact that Peanut has always been a lone cat previously and he is the neigbourhood's resident Tom so he has a certain reputation to maintain hee hee

Wish you the best of luck.  :evillaugh:

I love the name Peanut for a kitty!  ;D

Beth, thats how my cats started off, they used to chatter through a slit in the folding door seperating them when they were being "introduced" and if given enough space Cheese used to chirrup and put her paw in (claws in) at Gerti wanting to play. When they got together with no door between they had a few hissing/chasing/fighting moments but I think they just needed to sort out their ranks as they are fine now :)

I love watching them play fight - Gerti goes for Cheese's head and rolls over, pinning her down - its hilarious! Its followed off by a nice washing session together, so no hard feelings  :)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Beth (Mouse's Mum)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 14:16:51 PM »
Thanks everyone, last night our resident cat sat up and went right up to the cage door of the new kitty.  He just sat there chatting to her, wasn't growling or hissing, sounded more like a conversation going between the two of them, and then this morning they both ate their food about 3 feet from eachother, not one hiss or growl from either of them.

So fingers crossed tonight it might be even better and maybe she can step out of her room for a bit.

Will take some piccies tonight too  ;D

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 12:29:02 PM »
I don't wish to dash any hopes of an early union lol but my boy Peanut still hisses at Boo who was introduced nearly 2 years ago. When they have a little rough and tumble its not claws out any more though its hilarious to see them both sit up and box each other. Both with their eyes tight shut Their front right paws are just a blur of raking and they both get a few scratches >:(

Peanut is a lot more tolerant now than he was but they still don't sleep together unless Boo sneaks up and lies down next to Peanut when he is asleep. I think our situation is agrevated by the fact that Peanut has always been a lone cat previously and he is the neigbourhood's resident Tom so he has a certain reputation to maintain hee hee

Wish you the best of luck.  :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 00:38:55 AM »
Definately longer than shorter.

Misa and Sasa got on more or less from day one with minor halfhearted swipes and hisses, its people that are thrier problem.

But the two birmans were not received with open paws and although they have been hear nearly 11 months there still not loved by either Misa or Sasa although it is not too bad any more. There is a general wariness and the birmans have banned the other two from upstairs but havent banned themselves from downstairs...........they are a gang of hooligans those birmans are  :rofl:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 22:44:42 PM »
Not forgetting Giz and Bubbles.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 22:43:00 PM »
Beth,
From the replies, unless you are lucky it looks like months rather than weeks !
We have five girls, all torties, not deliberately but because they needed homes at the time we were looking - any excuse to post their pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 22:28:57 PM »
It can take a long time for them to be friends.  I've had Mosi for nearly 9 months and things can still get a bit fraught between him and Jaffa.  Today they curled up together on the bed for the first time since Mosi was very small - usually when Mosi approaches Jaffa it's to play or to be annoying but today he just went up to him and cuddled up to him  ;D

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2006, 22:21:52 PM »
Hi Beth,

I guess I was one of the lucky ones.  My girls are one month apart & although Maddi wasn't happy with Mia's arrival, after a couple of days she stopped growling & hissing and after a week we were able to leave them together overnight.  Now they are inseparable! 
Hope your two make friends soon.  Good luck  :)

Offline Elaine

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2006, 20:23:28 PM »
Took us 6 months to introduce Bernie into the home with Eva the Diva.  I'm afraid its takes time, just as much time as the resident cat needs.  Wizz helped us too but unfortunately for us we have a REAL Diva to contend with, that said I wouldnt change her for the world.  Not all cats will be as difficult as Eva and some cats may be more so.  Its very hard to say.  I wish you well and as every one has said slowly does it. xxx

Offline sonya

• Distinguished Cat
  • Ozzy Daisy and Ebony
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2006, 19:46:17 PM »
We've had Ebony about three weeks now and she is just starting to feel comfortable around Ozzy my ginger lardboy, hes pretty laid back most of the time and has ignored her most of the time we've had her but they are starting to lie near each other and shes not swiping him every time he walks past now, Daisy is her pal now and they are starting to gang up on me and swop ideas about finding out just how much they can get away with  :rofl:

Sonya
 x
Cats are like vodkas-you cant just have one

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 18:49:43 PM »
Don't worry, it can take a while for them to get on. Cheese used to hiss at Gerti at first, and chase her behind the sofa. I never ever thought I would see it happen but with Wizz's advice and a bit of perseverance they are best friends! They sleep curled up together, play together, wash each other and everything  ;D ;D

:luck:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 18:19:30 PM »
Thanks Chris, we've kept the cage door on to the spare room so it's affectively like a huge pen, they can still see eachother that way.

Have just fed them both, they were in view of eachother, about 5 feet apart and separated by the cage door but they still ate happily even though they could see eachother.

It's so hard when she obviously wants to come out of the room and play with him, but he just hisses at her and goes downstairs to sulk.

I will post some pics of her soon, she is gorgeous  ;D  The first female we've had and our first tortie  :Luv:

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 17:42:32 PM »
Beth,
We introduced three kittens to our two adults and it has taken some time.   I now realise that we probaby tried to rush things and during the first few days I was really worried we wouldn't be able to keep the kittens.   We bought a big dog pen so that they were safe in there when unsupervised and the others could come in and out of the catflap as usual.   It has taken about five months but last night it was lovely to see one grown up (Gizmo) and one kitten (Daisy) washing each other for the first time.   Hope things improve and give it lots of time, I think it is a lot more complicated for them than we realise.   Any pics for us ?

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 16:36:14 PM »
Hiya,

I've read Wizz's advice and we're following that for now.

I've got some feliway plug-ins.

At the moment she's in the spare room, the door has two skins, one solid wood and the other is a cage door, as we used to keep the foster cats in there.

The solid door is open but the cage door shut, so they can see eachother but they can't get to one another.

They've been in the cattery together this weekend, although in pens next to one another, not the same one.

The new cat wants to play with our resident cat, but unfortunately the feeling's not mutual  :'(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 16:34:53 PM »
It depends on all the cats concerned! It can take days, weeks, or months! Just take it slowly, carry on as you are doing with a separate room for the new cat and exchanging scents. Make the initial meetings short and obviously supervised - then put new cat back in its room. Gradually increase the amount of time they interact, always supervising, until they both seem tolerant of each other. Even if things go ok with the meetings I wouldnt leave them alone together when you are not there to oversee things, i.e. overnight or when you go out, for a while. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 16:19:59 PM »
hi, you are best not to let them meet for a while anyway and keep the new one in a separate room .

read wizz advice (someone will post a link for ya)

and get some feliway plug ins and remove the normal ones when you use them.

• Adult Cat
Kitty intro's not going too well
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 16:16:56 PM »
For those of you who have introduced new cats to your resident cats, how long did the process take?

We've just got a new little female cat, but our resident male really doesn't like her at the moment, so she's had to be kept in the spare room.  We're swapping the scents etc. but how long do we do this for before we have to make the decision if keeping her is not the best thing?

Link to CatChat