Author Topic: travelling with my kittens  (Read 2901 times)

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
Re: travelling with my kittens
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 12:51:17 PM »
I spray the carrier and the inside of the car with feliway to help reduce stress and tried rescue remedy in his water for a day or so before the return journey.  Don't know if it helped but it doesn't hurt.

I do that too - the baskets (big plastic ones with flaps in the top that you can fuss them through) live in the shed so if I know I'm going to need one I bring it in 24hrs in advance, clean it, spray it with Feliway and leave it in the house. I also have a couple of towels used exclusively for drying cats, so one of those will go in it if I'm taking one of the boys (Charley's still scared of the towels, she prefers to dry herself on my legs :rofl:). Mind you, the boys are nearly 13 so they're veterans, I don't even have to keep them in when I move house...
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 12:40:23 PM »
I took Jaffa up to my mum's last xmas which was a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive.  He was good as gold and just went in his normal carrier.  I've heard that cats feel less stressed when they're in a confined space so I'd say a normal carrier is fine.  Spray the carrier and the car with feliway and make sure you take lots of kitchen towel and nappy sacks in case you need to do clean ups!  Vet bed is also good if you think they may do a wee in the carrier.

I stopped halfway to check Jaffa was alright and do any clean ups if necessary but I didn't need to (didn't notice he'd done a poo!) and so did it in one go coming back.  He did do a poo on the way up but it was a normal solid poo and he didn't lie in it!  No accidents on the way back.  If you think your cats will have a drink of water or use a litter tray  it would be worth having a stop halfway but otherwise I think it's best to just keep going and get to the other end asap.  Fortunately Jaffa doesn't get traffic sick so he was ok going at 70mph +

I spray the carrier and the inside of the car with feliway to help reduce stress and tried rescue remedy in his water for a day or so before the return journey.  Don't know if it helped but it doesn't hurt.

Feeding wise I think it's a good idea to give a little bit of food but not too much.  If they have an empty stomach they are more likely to feel nauseous.  On the way up I gave Jaffa a smaller than usual breakfast of dry food (left about midday) and on the way back I gave him just a snack size portion of dry food about 2 hours before leaving).

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 12:34:40 PM »
Try leaving the cage open at home, with a familiar blanket in it and some treats - that way when you travel it'll smell right and they'll be used to it - and give them something really tasty when you get there. My cats put up with going in their boxes because they know that they'll get tuna when they get home :evillaugh: although the boys do like to practise their opera when they're in the car...

I helped a friend move house a couple of years ago and her 6 cats were in travelling boxes for a total of 4 hours in the back of my car - they kicked off every time there was a sharp bend but we played soothing music and talked the whole way (including just sitting around outside the house waiting for the keys!!) and they were none the worse... in fact, they've just moved from Warwickshire to Wales with no ill effects.

:luck:
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline henryfudge

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 12:14:12 PM »
Thank you so much for all the advice.  We took them out last night for a 20 min drive to have a practice run.  One of them meowed for the first 10 mins but the other just curled up and slept.
Getting them in the cage was a challenge.  We coaxed one in with treats but the other took more convincing and they both escaped very quickly as soon as we opened the door on our return.
I will let you know how it goes and post any tips I gather...if any.

Em

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 08:52:33 AM »
Cheese and Gerti do 2hr trips to Coventry sometimes, we just make sure they go to the loo before they go (putting them on the tray normally does it) and giving them some water before we put them in.

Getting them in the carrier is a nightmare, so they are normally coaxed with pieces of ham and then their carriers are put on thre back seat facing forward to keep them stable and so they can see out and are not so frightened. Also, the non driver can reach them from there to give them a little fuss ifthey are a bit scared.

They tend to meow for the first 30 mins and then settle down and sleep. however, if one of them starts meowing again they set the other one off!

We also tend to either have the radio/music on really low or not at all and are considering buying one big cage carrier so they can see more around them and can share the cage together for company (as they are best buds now!)

Hope that was some help!  :)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 00:48:02 AM »
First the first journey.......I would not feed the cat before travelling and remember take some newspaper, kitchen towl, litter tray and spare litter for accidents or needs on way. Certainly take water and a dish for stop offs.

For Nova, if she is just a little kitty, an ordinary carrier should be fine. Sometimes it helps to take a towel to cover the carrier with if they get too upset but as for the other one take water and emergency cleaning things. Just do not open car doors if cats are not secure in carriers, Never , never, never!!

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 22:37:00 PM »
I'm picking up Nova on saturday and  the journey is around 3.5 hours, hadn't thought of need a large cage as opposed to a carrier....................she's only a tiny wee smidge though and would be lost in a big cage.  My thinking is she would feel safer in a more enclosed carrier????  Any advice?

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 22:32:56 PM »
I have had my two in the car for almost an hour a couple of times & although they cry for the first 15 mins they eventually settle down to sleep & that's them for the rest of the journey.

Would agree with Beth in that you should go for a spacious cage.  If they doze off & wake mid journey it might be worth breaking for a short period & offering them some water & opening the window a wee bit for some fresh air whilst you stop.

On the basis you haven't had much feedback as yet, you can share your experiences with the rest of team, so we all know for future reference!  Hope the journey is a good one  ;D

Offline Beth (Mouse's Mum)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 17:17:10 PM »
Hi there, sorry i don't have much advice for you as the farthest ours have gone is 4 miles up the road to the cattery.  But definately get a large carrier cage, not just a normal small carrier, and get some feliway spray to spray in there too.

Hopefully others with travelling kitties can give you more advice  ;D

Offline henryfudge

• Kitten
travelling with my kittens
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 14:51:37 PM »
Hi there,

I am looking for some advice.  We are traveling to my parents in Somerset for a few days over chrsitmas and are taking our babies with us.  We are driving down there and it should take about 2.5 hours.
Does anyone have any tips/ advice for making the journey as comfortable as possible for them?
Thanks

Em

Link to CatChat