Author Topic: chewing on plastic  (Read 3487 times)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
Re: chewing on plastic
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 18:52:53 PM »
Mogs used to like the handles on plastic bags but Amber prefers the plastic ribbon you get for decorating pressies, or the backing from double sided sticky tape, or card that Im trying to use in card making, or oddly enough licking newly printed photos  :Crazy: In fact all of which got stopped as soon as I saw her  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 16:13:15 PM »
Now Winston - he likes big plastic bags ....... and wees on/up them !!!!!
I have to bring my shopping in and put it all straight on the kitchen units or they get wet !

My Joe does that too! - must be something in the 'red' genes!  :evillaugh:

Not red in our house, it was black or tabby and white  :sneaky:  :naughty:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 15:45:25 PM »
I have to bring my shopping in and put it all straight on the kitchen units or they get wet !

My Joe does that too! - must be something in the 'red' genes!  :evillaugh:

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 13:39:46 PM »
Pepsi isn't bothered about plastic bags, or big pieces of plastic, but any small pieces of cellophane and she'll try to eat them too. Stuff like the tiny corner of plastic you always get when opening a biscuit. She also ate my fortune from a fortune cookie before too  :evillaugh:

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 13:29:00 PM »
Mosi is obsessed with plastic.  He's always chewing bags and particularly likes the sort of plastic toilet rolls come in!  If he finds small pieces around he will swallow them so I have to be so careful not to leave anything lying around.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 22:54:56 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: so many neuortic cats!  I'm pleased to say my lot seem very well adjusted.  Zephyr does like to wake me up by snuffling my armpit in the morning and he will insist in biting the corners of any book I am holding but apart from that no major "issues".  The girls are very well behaved and the most exhilerating thing that Oliver does is wake up and jump off the sofa (he's a professional sleeper even by cat standards! LOL)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 22:11:10 PM »
my cats show the full works  :Crazy:
Dandy loves plastic whenever he gets the chance
Arnie loves chewing cardboard
Gucci has a fetish for OH's armpits  :sick:

The full set  :evillaugh:

Offline sallyagdm

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Arnie, Gucci and Dandy
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 19:25:53 PM »
my cats show the full works  :Crazy:
Dandy loves plastic whenever he gets the chance
Arnie loves chewing cardboard
Gucci has a fetish for OH's armpits  :sick:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 18:26:48 PM »
Yep its plastic and cardboard in this house too!  :naughty: :rofl: :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 17:35:34 PM »
Jerry is a demon for cardboard too , and I can now no longer leave books lying about! :tired:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 16:41:37 PM »
Poot is not a fan of plastic, but anything cardboard he will chew.

He also seems to have a liking for *ahem* tampons in their paper wrappers  :shy:  He was merrily running around with one the other day and then tried to shred it  :Crazy:

Gotta love 'em  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 16:21:02 PM »

:sneaky: yep a few of my cats have been beggars for doing that!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 16:19:41 PM »
Chilli has a cardboard fetish and sits in boxes happily biting bits off and spitting them out, makes a right mess!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 15:59:46 PM »
I caught FiFi chewing on a small plastic bag last night -it had dropped on the floor ,so i took it off her quickly !

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 15:56:30 PM »
Lukey is a plastic addict too - maybe we should set up plastic-aholic anonymous  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 15:56:55 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 15:31:46 PM »
I wondered about the armpit thing, both of My rescue cats do it if they get the chance, lick or nibble armpits, Poppy tucks her head into my in my underarm if I'm on the sofa.
iPod head phones are a tempting treat for an enquisitive young cat.
Charlie has a thing for ripping up cardboard boxes, and ripping the sellotape off  of them.
Nicky x

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 15:26:27 PM »
Partners cat ended up at vets some years back   with a serious blockage due to his plastic fetish  :innocent: Hes a terror for carrier bags and his absolute favourite is bubble wrap.  :sick:
Nightmare when we.ve been shopping as have to put all bags out of reach while we,re unpacking them. Cats huh ? Who,d have em ?  :rofl:
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 14:48:17 PM »
I have found that all the little thin areals on radios seem to have disappeared - only found out when my clock radio became nearly useless!

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 14:15:13 PM »
Oh Memphis has always got something in his mouth he shouldn't have. Got a new Printer at the weekend, whilst I was assembling everything he was helping himself to everything .. Cable ties, plug cover etc. So I was constantly removing things from his mouth. Then he decided he wanted the rabbits new toy so kept trying to put it in his mouth. He has a billion and one toys, but his problem is he's ever so nosey so has to be involved in everything. He really is terrible when it comes to that mouth of his.

The only cat toys that he puts in his mouth to chew and suck are his kitty kopter and feathers on a stick. I just don't leave anything out that he has shown an interest in chewing which I think could cause problems eg .. Dog toys stay out, cable ties get hidden and my ipod headphones get put away.

This could be about Dave! His real obsession is cotton buds but most things he shouldn't be chewing on will suffice. That stringy, tinselly, wrapping stuff you susually get at Christmas was a real nightmare this year. You think you've cleaned it all up and you find he's hacked up in the night and it's got blue tinsel in it or sparkly poo's in the litter tray :tired:

Those wire tie things you get on new cables he loves and just last night he found a bit of plastic wrapping from my new Wii that he was chewing on and had to be confiscated. It really is like having a toddler around!

I remember years ago my cousin had a cat that was weaned too early as a baby and his obsession was licking armpits and plastic carrier bags.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 13:54:56 PM »
Oh Memphis has always got something in his mouth he shouldn't have. Got a new Printer at the weekend, whilst I was assembling everything he was helping himself to everything .. Cable ties, plug cover etc. So I was constantly removing things from his mouth. Then he decided he wanted the rabbits new toy so kept trying to put it in his mouth. He has a billion and one toys, but his problem is he's ever so nosey so has to be involved in everything. He really is terrible when it comes to that mouth of his.

The only cat toys that he puts in his mouth to chew and suck are his kitty kopter and feathers on a stick. I just don't leave anything out that he has shown an interest in chewing which I think could cause problems eg .. Dog toys stay out, cable ties get hidden and my ipod headphones get put away.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 13:41:41 PM »
Oh don't get me started on plastic!!!!!!!!!!

Katie is OBSESSED with chewing plastic bags and wrapper off things (DVDs and CDs). It's something that i've got used to and I automatically don't leave anything around that she can chew, but I have found a bit of blue plastic in her sick before now  :doh:

She has dried food etc and doesn't chew anything else, it really seems like an OCD thing when she gets to plastic!
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline naboocat

• Adult Cat
chewing on plastic
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 13:35:25 PM »
Is it usual for cats to chew on things they're not supposed to?

I keep finding her chewing on the kids plastic toys, she particularly likes the spoons from their tea set & Barbie's feet  :innocent:

I'm worried that she's going to chew bits off & swallow them.

Is there any appropriate cat toys that she can chew on?

we give her a bowl of dry food as well as wet food so she has something to chomp on.

Link to CatChat