Author Topic: Furbabes in or out??  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: Furbabes in or out??
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007, 21:18:13 PM »
The cats that live with my mum are indoor only and the ones that live with me are indoor/outdoor (cat run). I would never let a cat free roam but that's just my opinion.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007, 20:40:52 PM »
Sorry to go off topic, but have to say what handsome dogs you've got queen goth! They look gorgeous

x

Offline queen_goth

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2007, 23:23:23 PM »
i keep my babies in, i live on a main road which can be busy at 3am, opposit a school so it gets rather busy through the day, ive seen one too many cats run over on this road over the years, and the last cat i had was stolen as she was so friendly she would love everyone up, well i use the words stolen lose, she could have been sold, and i suspect that she was, i know where she was but the police where unwilling to help me out in getting her back. i do however want to build a play gym onto the side of the house so i can open a window and let them play out in it, will let lots of air in during the summer and i wont run the risk of losing anyone again.

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2007, 22:29:31 PM »
Mine are indoor, as they're FIV, however I'm lucky enough to have the cat run so they do have safe accessto fresh air. Even if they weren't FIV, I'm same as Clare, don't think I could live with the worry of what might happen to them. Also the birds etc are safe in the garden from my cats (although it looks like another cat has been in the garden and had one of the doves that visit to feed  :( )

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2007, 21:48:00 PM »
I don't think that you can apply any 'rule' to cats being indoor or outdoor - it all depends on the cats, their circumstances, and yours.  However, in an ideal world I believe that the outdoors is a cat's natural environment, and that they are in general happier having outdoor access.

My Meesha and Sabby, in particular, would become depressed and deeply unhappy if they couldn't go outside.  They absolutely love it, and literally frolic in the garden when they're let out in the morning!  They sometimes go out of earshot, to fields over a side road (often together), but mostly spend their time in the allotments and gardens to the rear of my house.  Shanti would probably be quite happy as an indoor cat, but even she enjoys spending most of her time outside, although pretty much confined to mine and my next door neighbours gardens. I have a very busy road to the front of the house, but I'm in a middle terrace so it's a bit of a trek to the main road, and nothing whatsoever to attract my babies there.  I do worry, of course I do, but I feel very strongly that to keep them in would be pandering to my feelings rather than theirs. I just put myself in their shoes, and have decided that I'd rather have a riskier, but much happier, life.  I feel to keep them in would be tantamount to imprisonment, but I don't think this applies to every cat, and those that never know the outside are probably fine indoors.

If they kept coming in with torn ears, wounds or abcesses and the like, I would reconsider.  But they don't appear to fight, even though there are loads of other indoor/outdoor cats in the area.  Meesha and Sabby are VERY wary of other humans, except my lovely next door neighbour, so I don't have fears about them being taken, or being caught and hurt.  Shanti is also cautious, and doesn't really go anywhere to get into trouble!  Added to all that, I've met most of my neighbours (about 30 households) and if they don't have cats of their own they are cat-friendly, and know every cat by name in the neighbourhood - and where they live.  I know if one of my babes got into trouble my neighbours would help them, and let me know immediately.

I do believe in keeping them in at night, though, as there's a lot of foxes in Bristol, and Meesha in particular is really quite tiny.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2007, 17:43:27 PM »
Was very dubious before I got Leo as to if cats would really be happy in an indoor only enviroment, as had only recently heard of indoor cats. Ive had him for just over 3 weeks & there are no probs at all. I believe if you do your research & provide stimulants & everything a cat needs there isnt a problem.

My cat has a huge cat tree sitting at window level which he leaps up.. Spends allot of time on 'top deck' watching the world go by but he never seems to want to get out there.. he is quite content watching! He also uses this tree as a scratching post & it has a little cubby hole in it. He has endless toys which I alternate so he doesnt get bored. (adding to the collection daily!!) I have also grown some cat grass for him on the window sill which his cat tree is near. He loves it !

Once I am home from work he gets so much love, Play & attention that I truly believe he has everything he needs. If for one moment I thought he was unhappy then I would rethink things but as it is I am confident he is very content indeed.  :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2007, 15:52:59 PM »
If it were my house id have indoor/catproofed garden. As it isnt, my lot have outdoor access but only when theres someone in to keep an eye on them.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2007, 13:05:59 PM »
An Excellent website   Very Informative
But I think you may have a Broken Link " Golden Oldies " on main page 

Thank you, I will check it out, perhaps the gremlins have been at work while I was away
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 12:42:21 PM »
I keep my cats indoors now. After I saw someoneone pick up one of my cats and start to walk off with it the decision was not hard. Some of the cats had been indoor/outdoor for years and they all adapted remarkably well. On my site www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk I have posted the indoor/outdoor debate (via the homepage) as to why I and most ou our branches Cats Protection fosterers keep our cats in.

An Excellent website  :wow: Very Informative ;D
But I think you may have a Broken Link " Golden Oldies " on main page  ;)

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 12:35:54 PM »
Mine are indoor/outdoor in a cat proof garden  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 12:00:33 PM »
I keep my cats indoors now. After I saw someoneone pick up one of my cats and start to walk off with it the decision was not hard. Some of the cats had been indoor/outdoor for years and they all adapted remarkably well. On my site www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk I have posted the indoor/outdoor debate (via the homepage) as to why I and most ou our branches Cats Protection fosterers keep our cats in.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 12:00:51 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 11:38:20 AM »
We live in central Rome, full of mad traffic (our area is particularly bad!), mad people and what not.  Letting a spoiled domestic boy out on his own is completely out of question.
If we will ever be lucky enough to move out on a peaceful country side with no traffic and full of lush meadows and woods, I would love to let him run about out in the open though...

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 08:15:35 AM »
Thanks Helen, have deleted my comment.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 22:18:40 PM »
Lucas and Riley are indoor only, what with the dangers of the road, dogs/foxes, nasty humans etc etc it's just not a risk I'm prepared to take.  It really is a cruel world nowadays and I'm not about to expose them to it.  I think it's different if a cat has been used to outdoor access, that must be a very difficult decision to have to make but if they have never known any different then I really don't see any issues with indoor only cats as long as they are given extra playtime and stimulation (not to mention :Luv:) to compensate for the lack of outdoor stimulation.  I'm looking to move in the relatively near future and my main priority will be a garden that is suitable for catproofing.  That to me is the perfect compromise.

This seems to be a replica of Beanie's Cats at Night thread so you may find the same replies.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=8316.0

Or maybe merge the 2?

This is an indoor cats v outdoor cats thread KB whereas Beanie's thread was about letting cats that have already have outside access out at nightime.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 12:31:46 PM »
Having lost 3 cats to RTA i tried to keep the rest in but it was making them sooooooo unhappy that they now do go out.
I am lucky in that they dont seem to go far or stay out for long (apart from willow !!!!!!)
they are not allowed out once it gets dark.

Think it has to be a personal thing really taking on board if your cats are happy to stay in

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 11:31:24 AM »
I used to let them out till Zak was run over and killed outside my front door in my so called quiet Cul-de-sac.

It happen January 31st @ 5:30pm 2005. I remember like it was 2 hours ago. He was a Bengal and yes I let him & his bro Zubin out because I couldn't keep them cooped up, I felt it wrong for them not to have fresh air and feel the snow and rain fall on their coat and whiskers,  and the sun (when we have some) warm their coat.

When he was killed, sadley not long after Tan lost Ochi to the road and she had her garden cat proofed. So that's what I did 2 years ago and have never looked back. It was worth every penny (thank you Roz)

Sorry Thai & Zubin I know you loved your freedom but I cannot risk letting you out. Zebedee knows no different only the saftey of the garden.

That's my feelings.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 11:01:01 AM »
Mine are 100% indoors, although if I had a garden I'd catproof it or build an outdoor enclosure.

In is safer than out, but each cat, home and owner is different and all any of us can do is weigh up the risks and benefits that relate to our specific circumstances and make a decision that we think is, overall, best for the cat.  It's always going to be a compromise. 

Having kept cats indoors for 10 years now, I doubt I'd ever let them have free outdoor access now, even if I lived in a safer area. 

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 10:54:18 AM »
Well with my boy its not a choice anyway as he has to be indoors as he is FIV+, but I have to say that even if Max didn't have the virus, I'd have my reservations about letting him out. 

A lot must depend on where you live, how safe etc, but where I live, i.e. near a busy main road, next to the park where you get yobs drinking and being yobby in general, I would not be happy. 

I know cats have always been outdoor animals, but with the environment changing for the worse out there, i.e. loads more cars than before, certainly a lot more idiots out there, I do wonder how 'natural' their environment has become?

When I am in a position to buy a house as opposed to renting, I will definitly cat proof the garden so Max can have the benefit of some fresh air which I'm sure he would love.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:55:21 AM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 07:57:06 AM »
Mine are allowed outdoor access, i live in a safe enough area, and neither of them wander too far.
Please spay your cat

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 07:45:44 AM »
Mine go out although they are very homely and don't go far and fingers crossed they've never gone missing (Well Jet did once but that was only for 10 hrs so i think he just went exploring).  I live on a really quiet street for both traffic and people.

I've never had any problems with Cleo when she's out but Jet has often needed a trip to the vet after fighting and has been shot by a pellet gun.  They've got a little routine tho - breakfast, wander, come home for long afternoon nap, have tea, go for another wander and then back home for sleepies!!!!  :)

At the moment Ralphie is in until i've managed to successfuly!!!! introduce him to Cleo, don't want them out there fighting while i'm at work.
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 00:56:09 AM »
Well kitty goes outside at the moment but only for a little while at a time and she never ventures far but as you know i am moving into a flat soon and if she is happy staying in then thats what will be happening.

She hasnt been out much for last couple of days as she has not been feeling herself so shes just been sitting on the window sill with the window open.

She has just been taking to the vets  :'(

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 00:41:05 AM »
I Totally agree, I stay in a flat with a very busy road outside, so letting them out is not an option.
My Father retires in under 4 years time, and he shall be moving up north to stay, I am hoping to
get His house when Parent's move, But although the house is nearly 100 yards away from a quiet
road, I still don't think I would let them out as two of my mother's cats had to have treatment in
the Past from the vet's from iether being Kicked or skittled by a car as they both had skint part's
on thier body's and Claw damage
People can be so cruel at time's :( >:(
I am trying to get in touch with an old friend and tell her about Purr's, but she is somewhere down
beside London ATM, although she shall be coming up here soon to see my sister, But I always
remember she had 2 cats Redgie and Garfield (both Rescue's) But Garfield had been kicked in the face
when He was young and was paralized down one side of his face :( My Friend Jan had to clean Him
after every meal Because the food would get stuck in the side of His mouth and if it wasn't cleaned
that would cause Infection

And if I ever see some  :censored: being cruel to a Cat, They'd Better Watch out !!! >:( >:( >:(

P.S. Hamish used to Love going out on the Balcony, but Misty Just sit's by the Door

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 00:43:38 AM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline No Name

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 00:13:21 AM »
I never let my cats out....its too dangerous out there.

I had approx 10 persians many years ago and had pens and runs so they were safe.

but now I only have my two moggskis and no money to buy runs and things.......so my only option is not to let them out ( I have one large dog pen to put them outside for some fresh air in the cool  shade, not ideal but better than nothing on hot days.

a few months ago I only had my 5 year old and gave in to people telling me I was cruel and selfish and stuff, and so I let her out. One day she went missing for 3 days and I was completely heartbroken with worry, and so since then I have stuck to my guns and kept her inside and now I have the kitten I will not let her out either.

I warnd all my neighbours saying " if you see my cats out they have escaped please let me know ASAP"

I couldnt bear anything lto happen to them :scared:
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 09:41:28 AM by ickle »

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
Furbabes in or out??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 00:05:26 AM »
I was wondering how many people on Purr's actually let thier Furbabes out, so I thought I'd start a Poll
I remember reading Years ago, that cats live longer if you don't let them out, and it's kinda stuck in my head
Although I have let My Master's out in the past (only in the correct envoiroment) I would Worry about them
and would only be truly happy when they were in. you could also have a read of this http://maxshouse.com/outdoor_risks.htm

and post your own View's on this topic

« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 00:06:48 AM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Link to CatChat