Author Topic: How to cut scaredy cats nails?  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: How to cut scaredy cats nails?
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 18:27:41 PM »
If its urgent then take the no mess approach.
Kneel on floor with cat between knees, life each paw up and clip. Better its one restrained attempt then faffing and irritating her!

Or have a 2nd person hold her while you do it.

Think we need to see pics of this lady!

That's the way I do it MM.  There is no way on earth Zephyr will be turned over onto his back but he has no objection to me practically laying onto of him and purrs his head off and sometimes even licks my chin  :sick: ... NICE!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 17:11:04 PM »
Is she one who will fight back then? Milly is a little madam but once you have hold she freezees through fear  :evillaugh:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 17:03:07 PM »
EEK!!! I'd rather do Blackie's  :scared: Gonna have to Serene UM her me thinks   :Crazy:

Yes Id say its urgent and they will be caught just in time....would you believe the overgrown nails are on her front paws and Im not on about the dew claws  :( Its just starting to make a mark in her pad Im appauled (sp?) Ill put some pics of her on here later  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 16:57:49 PM »
If its urgent then take the no mess approach.
Kneel on floor with cat between knees, life each paw up and clip. Better its one restrained attempt then faffing and irritating her!

Or have a 2nd person hold her while you do it.

Think we need to see pics of this lady!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 16:54:48 PM »
If I'm not mistaken you're the one who told me about the sneak attack. Didn't believe it till I tried it. The only way we get Lexy's claws all cut is if my ex is here and we both do it together, or when the vet comes round. Usually Lexy has to have a mild sedative to get any treatment done or she hurts herself (and me  :naughty: )

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 16:52:44 PM »
Ive had her just over a week now....took her on cos her owners had a toddler and were scared the toddler was gonna get a swipe grr! Alas they were gonna put her to sleep  :(

She is very nervous and I think she has been living outside in their shed for a while  :(

I do all my other cats nails (well apart from Blackie the ex ferals) and know the deep sleep mode "sneak" attack wont work with her (Ted) btw  :Crazy:

Thanky anyways KBR (sounds abit KGB)  :evillaugh: ;)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 16:45:46 PM »
 :shify:  What new 14 year old?  What I missed?  :scared:

Lexy gets very stressed with each and every attempt I make, she hates it so I took the advise of a sage on here... wait til she's asleep and in so deep a sleep you can clip one or two before she cottons on... Lexy has lopsided claws. I do try to get to the dew claws though, those worry me abit.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
How to cut scaredy cats nails?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 16:43:16 PM »
Hi everyone, Ive just took on a 14yr old female cat who is really nervous and desperately needs her nails cut.....I have used Serene UM to calm cats in the past and it works just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as that is the only option I can think of at present....

It would be no good taking her to vets as she gets so stressed out which leads to aggression  :scared:

Cheers for any input  ;)

Link to CatChat