Author Topic: Feliway?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Feliway?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2007, 09:57:05 AM »
I know people on here have had success with Feliway defuser but over the years I and none of the fosterers have ever had a single sauces with it. In fact one of our fosterers was one of the testers for the firm many years ago, she had no success then either although she had 3 in her house. We all however, had had much success with the feliway spray.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 18:49:36 PM »
Ta everyone ... my diffuser and spray from Vet UK have now arrived so I await miracles  ;D  Working from home at the moment so I can keep an eye on things between Bella and Minnie - it's all now turned around so Bella is the one doing the hissing and growling ... sigh :tired:

Offline The Duchess

• Distinguished Cat
  • Cosmo & Jessie
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 22:09:47 PM »
We have quite a roomy flat so I have one diffuser in the middle room and use the spray on specific areas in the other rooms as/when necessary.  Have to say it had an almost instant and positive effect on calming down my two  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 16:43:29 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2007, 21:16:02 PM »
HA hA Good one  mm i never spotted that  :rofl:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 21:03:41 PM »
My feliway says it covers 50-70 square metres.  We have a 4 bed house and I have one upstairs on the landing and it made a huge difference to my two new furbabes settling, for a one bedroom place I'd have thought one diffuser would be fine, especially if you locate it in or just outside the bedroom.   

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 16:26:31 PM »
Be careful if your putting pimps in your bedroom

Whatever was I thinking about. Mind you the I is next to the U

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 15:44:05 PM »
Be careful if your putting pimps in your bedroom  :rofl:

Let it dry before you let them on the bed as the smell makes them squint  ;D

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 15:34:00 PM »
Not sure if the diffuser cover's 600 or 650 feet? Ive tried the diffuser and cos I have my back door open all day (most days) I'll defo try the spray next time  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 10:49:12 AM »
I think the diffusers may suggest how large an area it would be suitable for.  With the spray i probably use too much but a few sprays (smells quite alcholy for a start but that wears off after a few mins)

worth a go though, what about 1 diffuser and a bottle of spray to see how you get on, remember take out any perfume air plug in thingys so they dont mask the feliway (you wont be able to smell the feliway btw)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 10:32:57 AM »
Thanks Ela - in my case, the "problem area" is Minnie's growly face ... hee  :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 10:12:20 AM »
With the Feliway I just use 1 or 2 pimps just before bedtime  very near  the problem area. The dose details for the Rescue Remedy are on the site.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 09:58:44 AM »
Thanks Ela ... does it come with instructions on when/ how much to spray?  Totally new to this ... haven't introduced a new cat for two years, and fortunately Bertie and Bella hit it off almost straight away.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 09:55:46 AM »
I personally have had much success with the Feliway spray, which can be purchased cheaper than the vets from Vet UK and if you go into Vet UK via one of the charity site they get a 5% commission.

I would also suggest you try Bach's Rescue Remedy see www.preciouspets.org/newsletters/articles/bach.htm

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Feliway?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 09:44:57 AM »
Looking for some advice on whether Feliway might be helpful in calming Minnie down.  As you know, I adopted her a few months ago when my nextdoor neighbour emigrated and left her behind, and as she had never been inside his house, it's been a gradual process of first getting her to eat inside, next get her to sleep indoors, and then introduce her to Bertie and Bella.  She's blind in one eye so I've had major concerns about her being outdoors all night as there is a lot of traffic and stray cats in our neighbourhood, plus there are some unsavoiry characters around late at night as we live two doors away from a pub with a late licence. 

Things have moved on a lot recently as Minnie will now come indoors just before bedtime and sleeps on the end of my bed all night, which is a great improvement as initially she would only sleep next to the front door and would ask to go back outside at about 2am.  But the problem is that Bella is used to sleeping in the bed with me, and Minnie wants it all to herself - she will jump onto the bed and growl at Bella to make her go away, and then if Bella comes back into the bedroom in the night, Minnie will hiss and growl at her to stop her getting onto the bed.

In all other ways, things are fine between the three of them and I haven't seen any signs of stress in Bella, but I do think it's unfair that her routine is being broken because Minnie has decided to claim the bed as her territory.  I wondered whether Feliway might calm things down?  I have just looked at Feliway's website and seen that they have both diffusers and spray, and I'm unsure which products I would need, and how many - I have a one-bedroom house that is open plan (i.e. the stairs are inside the living room and go straight up into the bedroom) so I don't know whether I would need one diffuser per floor or if one for the whole area would do the trick?

Link to CatChat